+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shipping Hawaii to Cancun, MEX

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Shipping Hawaii to Cancun, MEX

Hi guys,

Anyone with a brilliant way I can meet my new topaz in cozumel when I fly in from Canada? Shipping it to Canada and then flying with it seems the most secure way but adds extra expense and a whole extra leg to the transportation process.

Who do you trust to bring your rebreather into cozumel?

Regards,
    Cameron

RBW Member FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler is a glorious beacon of light FergusButler's Avatar
    Optima

Re: Shipping Hawaii to Cancun, MEX

I've always flown with mine, in fact I will be flying in with it October 21st if you are looking to dive it. I would contact Don Labbruzzo at Deep Exposure on Cozumel, he would have better insight.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Its very hard to ship anything inexpensively or with any known timetable to MX due to customs. It'll get lost, get delayed, get held ransom, who knows what.

I would plan on flying it. Be sure to scratch it up a bit beforehand so it looks used and MX customs doesn't try to hit you with a hefty duty for "importing" it.

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by FergusButler  View Original Post
    I've always flown with mine, in fact I will be flying in with it October 21st if you are looking to dive it. I would contact Don Labbruzzo at Deep Exposure on Cozumel, he would have better insight.
    Thanks! I'd love to see how you have it set up. I'll reach out to Don, I'm sure he's seen it all.

Good heads up about avoiding import fees... I'm ugly enough to avoid hostage situations but my rebreather looks quite pretty from what I've seen!

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by Sparedone  View Original Post
    Hi guys,

Anyone with a brilliant way I can meet my new topaz in cozumel when I fly in from Canada? Shipping it to Canada and then flying with it seems the most secure way but adds extra expense and a whole extra leg to the transportation process.

Who do you trust to bring your rebreather into cozumel?

Regards,
    Cameron
    Pete designed it to roll up as carry-on so depending on the configuration of yours, I'd opt for that method. Tanks can be rented at your end destination, probably sorb as well. The price you paid for it was a nice chunk of gold, treat your rig like it. Don't let an airline monkey or freight company ruin your fun by damaging your rig (as they have so many times for others).

RBW Member ECho is an unknown quantity at this point ECho's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by FergusButler  View Original Post
    Deep Exposure is the only source, as far as I know, for CCR support on Cozumel. Don, and his staff, provide an excellent experience (I just happen to be doing some OC diving with them this week)! I'd definitely suggest calling ahead of time, just to have everything organized upon your arrival.

PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

I won't let it out of my sight once I get my hands on it. carry on size design will be well used!

Thanks for the recommendation. Don was above and beyond helpful. Looking forward to diving with them.

Still a tad stumped how to get my unit home.

+ Reply to Thread