+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What used scooter

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

What used scooter

Hi All,
    Thinking of getting rid of my land scooter (GSXR-600 K1) and replacing it with an underwater version.
    Any recommendations?
    UK wreck diving to 80m'ish, I only dive about 10-20 times a year (so occasional use) tow behind I'm preferring.
    Any thing I should look out for with a used unit? what battery technology would be best etc and what should I be expecting to pay (condition depending of course).
    regards
    Baz.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Re: What used scooter

Look for Rob Dobson. He gives very good service and advice

Send from my Shearwater Nerd

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by turtle dude  View Original Post
    Hi All,
    Thinking of getting rid of my land scooter (GSXR-600 K1) and replacing it with an underwater version.
    Any recommendations?
    UK wreck diving to 80m'ish, I only dive about 10-20 times a year (so occasional use) tow behind I'm preferring.
    Any thing I should look out for with a used unit? what battery technology would be best etc and what should I be expecting to pay (condition depending of course).
    regards
    Baz.
    I have had 3 used scooters.

Cuda 550, SS '37 and a R14

Each have their own pros and cons.
    '37 is so big and heavy and at the limit of what I would consider suitable for boat diving ( or having to carry anywhere)
    R14 is a bit slow but nice and light.
    The Cuda is Aluminium with stainless fastenings. Not the best when used in saltwater.

All 3 use NiMh batteries. These dont last forever and if you are buying used then I would consider the batteries as due for replacement unless you are buying a scooter less than 3 years old that has been well looked after.

So,
    If buying a Cuda or sierra check for corrosion around where the stainless fittings are. The problem being that these fittings can freeze in place and if you had to replace a prop shroud you may be in for a mission ( although I did one a few months back on an early Cuda and it wasnt as hard as I had thought). If you can removal all fittings and use Tefgel on them then replace them.

To test a NiMH pack you really need to burn test it. Measuring voltage wont tell you anything.

Find out when the prop seal was last done. Do it ASAP if you are unsure.

Make sure its fast enough for what you want.
    The Cuda is really fast! The SS '37 was fast enough. The R14 is a bit of a slug in comparison. Sure, its better than fining and would be OK when used with other R14 users, but if all your buddies have faster scooters you are either going to get pissed off with them taking off from you or piss them off for having to go so slow so you can keep up.

Dont dismiss the possibility of upgrading battery to Li Ion. In some cases this will add a little speed and perhaps double your run time.

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar

[QUOTE=Packhorse;481257]I have had 3 used scooters.

Cuda 550, SS '37 and a R14

Each have their own pros and cons.
    '37 is so big and heavy and at the limit of what I would consider suitable for boat diving ( or having to carry anywhere)
    R14 is a bit slow but nice and light.
    The Cuda is Aluminium with stainless fastenings. Not the best when used in saltwater.

All 3 use NiMh batteries. These dont last forever and if you are buying used then I would consider the batteries as due for replacement unless you are buying a scooter less than 3 years old that has been well looked after.

If buying a Cuda or sierra check for corrosion around where the stainless fittings are. The problem being that these fittings can freeze in place and if you had to replace a prop shroud you may be in for a mission ( although I did one a few months back on an early Cuda and it wasnt as hard as I had thought). If you can removal all fittings and use Tefgel on them then replace them.

To test a NiMH pack you really need to burn test it. Measuring voltage wont tell you anything.

Find out when the prop seal was last done. Do it ASAP if you are unsure.

OK, thanks many good things here to consider - so test run is a must really! Have seen the cuda 400 which sounds like a nice tool, did see a zepp lt30 sold on here last year, that's what basically started me looking again, was good fun but got rid of it fund the unit purchase back in early 0'ies

Many thanks

Baz

OK so I've seen a used cuda 400 for around £2300 (so just over half price) but I've also seen the Suex xjoy7 (yep sounds like sex toy) which are new at £1700? The spec's are fairly similar (not that I overly believe everything written down but it's a starting point) does anyone have experience with the sex toy, I see it is about 3\4 of a metre long but not sure if that any bigger that the cuda. I would still consider a zepp again but would have to be the small one if anyone has one in their shed, as the other two come in around 19kg and I thing the zepp was around 27kg?
    Regards
    Baz

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I am selling my Gavin for £800.00

Weighs a ton on land but lead acid tec is bomb proof and in the water is much nicer to use than some of the small light weights.

Spend the rest of the cash on diveing :D

I baught it for Malin Head diveing but since the demise of Loyal Watcher I doubt ill get to do it anymore

The three weeks i did scooter up there the Gavin was fantastic and the ONLY scooter which didnt fail in some way on the trips.

ATB

Mark

RBW Member SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK is a glorious beacon of light SimonK's Avatar

nothing to do with scooters, but why wont you do Malin? Been there the last three years, brilliant diving even this year when most of the trip was blown out. There are two day boats running that will get you to all the wrecks.

Back to scooters, for wreck diving you need something small and light thats not going to annoy everyone else on the boat as they trip over it, you can pick up and get to the gate when fully kitted. You dont need massive run time so ignore all the cave diving stuff.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by turtle dude  View Original Post
    ........ The spec's are fairly similar....
    They are very different units.
    The Halcyon R14 is a rebadged Xjoy7
    The Cuda 400 is a Cuda 550/650/850 with a smaller battery pack and shorter body but same back end/motor.
    On high the R14/xjoy will struggle to keep up with the Cuda assuming the cuda is in 3rd ( start speed) and still has another 5 speeds to go.
    I have dived in some currents that the R14 wouldnt have being able to make way against.. Not a problem for the Cuda.

But in saying that 1700 pound sounds like good value. I paid about that for my R14 used ( but it was in NZ). If you can live with the speed and run time of the R14/suex then go for it.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK  View Original Post
    nothing to do with scooters, but why wont you do Malin? Been there the last three years, brilliant diving even this year when most of the trip was blown out. There are two day boats running that will get you to all the wrecks.

Back to scooters, for wreck diving you need something small and light thats not going to annoy everyone else on the boat as they trip over it, you can pick up and get to the gate when fully kitted. You dont need massive run time so ignore all the cave diving stuff.

Cost

Loyal Watcher was pick up from Ayr, food, accomadation and diveing for £650

I did £1100+food on a trip to Ireland shore bassed a couple of years back and got blown out due to virtualy no viz for the whole trip and I swore id never spend out like that again for UK diveing

Id rather book overseas for that much and I dont take the scooter then

As a result my last two week longs have been Malta and Spain.

RBW Member Goferrin99 is an unknown quantity at this point Goferrin99's Avatar
    Nil

I've been happy with my used Cuda 400. It's size is travel/boat deck/man handling friendly and the simple design is bullet proof reliable. A DIY lithium battery makes it faster than I ever want to go and only requires one charge for a weekends diving

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast