+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone add weight in their Counterlungs

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2 Instructor

Hollis Explorer Inst Trainer

Re: Does anyone add weight in their Counterlungs

Just for my info, what was the time frame and number of dives for these configurations, thanks-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by maxguru  View Original Post
    I'll try to take some and post them up. Prissy the Prism2 has gone through quite a few changes since she and I went on our first dive together.

First Configuration:
    Standard out of the box. Use counterlungs as shoulder straps. Added Golem buttplate, Edd Old School bungees. 5lbs each counterlung, 4lb sausage weight on backplate, 2lbs clamped to "top" of each cylinder. Hollis F1 fins, drysuit with 200g undergarment.

Second configuration:
    Swapped backplate for stainless, swapped Golem butt plate for Dive Rite Tech buttplate, ditched sausage weight.

Third Configuration:
    Swapped stock wing for Hollis SMS75 wing, ditched weights on tanks.

Fourth Configuration:
    Dropped to 3lbs in each counterlung.

Current Configuration:
    Using modified SMS75 BCD. No backplate. 3lbs each counterlung. Deep6 fins.

Buoyancy control and trim have improved along the way. Can't say if it's the tweaks, just becoming more comfortable on CCR, or both. Don't guess it matters much.

max

RBW Member maxguru is an unknown quantity at this point maxguru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H2Ocaver  View Original Post
    Just for my info, what was the time frame and number of dives for these configurations, thanks-Eric
    The evolution has taken about 18 months and somewhere around 100 dives.

m

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2 Instructor

Hollis Explorer Inst Trainer

that's great, I see people try to change things without giving the changes time to be mastered. I did the same thing as you, now it's nearly perfect.-Eric

The evolution has taken about 18 months and somewhere around 100 dives.

m

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

When teaching we start off using the CL weight pockets to get a target total weight needed, then put on our custom H plate weight pockets and cut out the CL pockets. This gets us where we need to be and makes the CL's sit very close to the chest, very thin and even, this helps the ADV fire properly.-Eric
    Hi Eric,

What is a custom H plate?

I got some really nice custom weight pockets that Matt, Saveourseas. made up, two on each side equaling 4 total weight pockets. Each one can hold around 5 pounds each. These weight pockets attache onto the H-Plate.

Regarding the HP2 ADV, in one respect it doesn't constantly fire. The other hand sometimes as you know you have add the Air/Dil yourself. When I had my prism Topaz I added a Meg ADV and on/off switch block. ISC makes an incredible ADV.

Best regards,
    Last edited by Chett.L; 1st September 2016 at 23:01.
    Chett. L

Richard Huntrods sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

As soon as I got my Topaz home from training (late May 2007) I removed the BCD and bought one of the DSS weighted 6-2 plate (-6lbs) adapter and y counterlung yoke. I then put my rig on a regular SS backplate.

When I started I dove with 2lbs in each counterlung pocket, then quickly switched to 1lb in each pocket (by summer 2007). I currently have 1lb in each counterlung in a mesh bag as lead shot (it sits flat).

After a year or so my buddy Mike brought me one of his custom SS replacement plates - it completely replaces the plastic plate with an SS one. (-10lb). I use bungees from the crotch strap to secure the counterlungs and that lets them sit as flat as possible. I also added an Armadillo butt plate and sidemount set-up so I could dive my bailout sidemount.

I've been diving the above rig since 2009 (change to sidemount bailout) without further changes and totally love it. It's all Vancouver Island diving with drysuit, warm underwear and heated vest (except July & Aug).

Sorry - one change. I used to dive with my additional lead in a DUI weight-and-trim but this summer I switched to just clipping it onto the bottom of the backplate. I like it a lot better in that location, mostly because it's one less harness/thingy to wear.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hi Chett, your call on inverting the tanks, but then you will probably need a stand to keep it sitting upright on deck? Peter told me the reason for the Prism valve down orientation is exactly what you mentioned, it's easier to open/close them down, and thus safer. Having jumped in once or twice without turning the gas on, I second the notion. I'm not perfect and having the valves up may have turned what was a silly mistake easily fixed in 2 seconds to something that could've killed me. Frankly, I'm baffled why this isn't part of CE standard, seeing as how those EU technocrats have supposedly thought of everything in their quest to save us all from ourselves.

SS clamps and basic weight pockets on the cylinders should easily solve it. I have the fiberglass cover on my P1 and zip tied pockets to the top of the cover, works great with the weight up as high as it can go. But alas, no full cover for the P2... -Andy
    Hi Andy,

I have to admit, this happened to me once too (sort of) I was waiting on the back of the boat, on the swim step with my legs in the water in a sitting position, waiting for my buddy to get in the water, he was working out an issue, he was not in the water yet, still on the boat, so I was waiting for him on the boat swim step for about 10 minutes. that day it was a little rough, that is the water condition, the boat was going up and down, somehow it turned off my 02 valve, by motion of my body rocking back and forth. Lucky for me that day I was able to bail out and make it to the surface. My solenoid was firing but was not injecting any 02. Had I realize this I could've simply looked at my SPG turned on the gas.

Best regards,
    Last edited by Chett.L; 1st September 2016 at 23:15.
    Chett. L

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

I'll try to take some and post them up. Prissy the Prism2 has gone through quite a few changes since she and I went on our first dive together.

First Configuration:
    Standard out of the box. Use counterlungs as shoulder straps. Added Golem buttplate, Edd Old School bungees. 5lbs each counterlung, 4lb sausage weight on backplate, 2lbs clamped to "top" of each cylinder. Hollis F1 fins, drysuit with 200g undergarment.

Second configuration:
    Swapped backplate for stainless, swapped Golem butt plate for Dive Rite Tech buttplate, ditched sausage weight.

Third Configuration:
    Swapped stock wing for Hollis SMS75 wing, ditched weights on tanks.

Fourth Configuration:
    Dropped to 3lbs in each counterlung.

Current Configuration:
    Using modified SMS75 BCD. No backplate. 3lbs each counterlung. Deep6 fins.

Buoyancy control and trim have improved along the way. Can't say if it's the tweaks, just becoming more comfortable on CCR, or both. Don't guess it matters much.

max
    Hi Max,
    it really sounds like a an amazing transformation looking at and understanding.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

that's great, I see people try to change things without giving the changes time to be mastered. I did the same thing as you, now it's nearly perfect.-Eric
    Hi Eric,

Your right about that.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    Hi Andy,

I have to admit, this happened to me once too (sort of) I was waiting on the back of the boat, on the swim step with my legs in the water in a sitting position, waiting for my buddy to get in the water, he was working out an issue, he was not in the water yet, still on the boat, so I was waiting for him on the boat swim step for about 10 minutes. that day it was a little rough, that is the water condition, the boat was going up and down, somehow it turned off my 02 valve, by motion of my body rocking back and forth. Lucky for me that day I was able to bail out and make it to the surface. My solenoid was firing but was not injecting any 02. Had I realize this I could've simply looked at my SPG turned on the gas.

Best regards,
    Wow Chett, what a weird situation, O2 valve closed by accidental movement. Well, at least only one gas was off and you were able to get out. Each year a few OC recreational divers die entering the water with their gas off, but they have no choice how to orient their cylinder...

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

First Configuration:

Second configuration:
    Swapped backplate for stainless, swapped Golem butt plate for Dive Rite Tech buttplate

max
    Hello Max, I wasn't aware you could use the P2 CLs as the weight baring/harness, good to know as that was one of the reasons I did not switch over to the P2. The P2 CLs are not as heavy duty fabric wise as the P1 lungs, which were made to double as the weight baring harness. How did the P2 CLs do with the full weight of the unit?

Also, why did you switch from the Golem to the Diverite butt plate? Thanks, -Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast