+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ap diving co2 sensors

RBW Member mshamba is an unknown quantity at this point mshamba's Avatar
    AP evo +

Ap diving co2 sensors

The AP CO2 sensors have been out for a while now, anybody has some feedback to help me deciding if I should go for the upgrade or not?
    Thanks

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Re: Ap diving co2 sensors

It seems to be a mixed story really. Personally, I have had no problems with mine at all. It clutters up in inside of the mixing chamber a little but sits there, doing its job nicely. I have triggered it once by deliberately breathing back into the head area to set it off and it alarms quite clearly. However, some people have had "false positives" apparently.... but it's hard to comment on them as I haven't had any myself and without a second detector, it is probably difficult to prove either way in many cases.

Bottom line is that whilst it isn't a silver bullet, making you immune to all CO2-related problems, mine has worked flawlessly and is there doing what it does and hopefully making my diving slightly safer as a result.

RBW Member tkfx2000 is an unknown quantity at this point tkfx2000's Avatar

I went through four CO2 units from AP. Nothing but false positives on every single real dive over two years of back and forth. It would occasionally seem to work fine in a pool, but not always. There was one point where I could throw my rebreather in the pool, never breathing into it, and get the sensor to trigger. The units have been slightly redesigned over the time period. Software was always blamed. I even gave the unit to a friend who had a new 2020 head, different unit, different software, different training. He could not get it to work either.
    I suspect the problems is that that they cannot distinguish between actual CO2 and higher temperature and moisture conditions. If your unit sits in a boat or a car on the way to a dive, then gets placed in water, I suspect conditions are ripe for false positives. That said a pattern did develop. I would see a false warning in the first few minutes in the water. That could be suppressed. About an hour later the unit would trigger. Other users of the same sensor saw the same behavior.

My thoughts are this device has just not been field test by AP enough. I have heard reports of users saying they work flawlessly, but I have not personally met that person.
    I do wonder if these alleged working units will pick up a true positive.

I have reached the point where the CO2 alarm has become useless. Even if it did work, I am now conditioned to ignore the error. This is not really the enhanced safety I was looking for.

I will also say that AP was very good about the whole series of events. And the Ed at Silent Diving did a fantastic job on the Customer Service front. If they mature the product I may be willing to try it in a few years.

RBW Member jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner is a glorious beacon of light jturner's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by tkfx2000  View Original Post
    I went through four CO2 units from AP. Nothing but false positives on every single real dive over two years of back and forth. It would occasionally seem to work fine in a pool, but not always. There was one point where I could throw my rebreather in the pool, never breathing into it, and get the sensor to trigger. The units have been slightly redesigned over the time period. Software was always blamed. I even gave the unit to a friend who had a new 2020 head, different unit, different software, different training. He could not get it to work either.
    I suspect the problems is that that they cannot distinguish between actual CO2 and higher temperature and moisture conditions. If your unit sits in a boat or a car on the way to a dive, then gets placed in water, I suspect conditions are ripe for false positives. That said a pattern did develop. I would see a false warning in the first few minutes in the water. That could be suppressed. About an hour later the unit would trigger. Other users of the same sensor saw the same behavior.

My thoughts are this device has just not been field test by AP enough. I have heard reports of users saying they work flawlessly, but I have not personally met that person.
    I do wonder if these alleged working units will pick up a true positive.
    These are similar to the tales I've heard to be honest. But although we haven't met personally, mine has never gone wrong despite being sat in the car for a few hours before dives and similar scenarios but yes, mine does work properly and I tested it, as I had the same suspicion as you!!!!!

It's all very strange. Some people had been greasing their o-rings wrong apparently and correcting that fixed their problem, others needed a firmware upgrade... there doesn't seem to be any clear pattern as far as I can see, which makes it tough to hunt down what the problem is.

To the OP: as you can see, mixed responses! For me, the benefits far outweigh the expense for a buying the thing in the first place but with experiences like tkfx2000's, you can also see why others would disagree.

Does anybody know of a case where a CO2 sensor (from any manufacturer) actually triggered a legitimate in-water warning? Something that wasn't a test?

RBW Member Kendo38 is an unknown quantity at this point Kendo38's Avatar
    Inspiration XPD

In response to the last question, not personally but I've seen a post praising the sensor for letting him know he'd forgotten to put his canister O-ring (or spacer ring, I forget which) in at the start of a dive.

My own experience is strangely mixed. I have had false positive problems with the sensor on my own lid requiring it to be returned more than once. On those occasions, however, I have borrowed a friend's lid (with sensor) and had completely trouble free diving with it. And yes I've deliberately blown into the chamber to check his works and it does!

This leaves me in even more of a dilemma because I don't trust my own sensor, but I do trust my friend's! Fortunately the back to back experience at least proves its neither "user error" or anything to do with the way I transport or use the machine.

To be fair I should also point out that AP have and still are working to resolve the issue and I certainly can't complain at the customer service or their efforts to solve the problem.

Edit...

I should also mention that I started with the very original sensor which may be less reliable than current version.
    Last edited by Kendo38; 31st August 2016 at 19:05.

RBW Member Bryan T is an unknown quantity at this point Bryan T's Avatar

Hello all

The CO2 sensor does require you to lub the canister O ring (the one under the spacer) with O2 compatible grease. this step plus the soft wear update (if needed) should resolve the issues. There is a tweek in soft wear if needed how ever that version may already be released on mass to everyone.

I had a glitch with mine got the soft wear updated and lubed my O ring and have had no problems since.

Anyone having an on going issue please ( on this or anything else AP) feel free to contact me and I will work with you to get it resolved.

bryan@silentdiving.com

RBW Member mshamba is an unknown quantity at this point mshamba's Avatar
    AP evo +

Hi Bryan, thanks for the info. I don't understand the point of O2 compatible grease. I thought that normal silicone grease provided a better seal than O2 grease.

Quote Originally Posted by mshamba  View Original Post
    Hi Bryan, thanks for the info. I don't understand the point of O2 compatible grease. I thought that normal silicone grease provided a better seal than O2 grease.
    Mike Fowler specifically recommends Silicone grease for the canister o-ring.

APD Evolution

I think it can be either but many of the O2 greases I've come across don't seen to last as long, going a bit dry and grainy, and so need cleaning off thoroughly and regreasing every time. That said, the guys I did my Mod2 with use a fantastic O2 grease that seems to be like a less sticky silicone grease and that doesn't ever appear to dry out. I use silicone FWIW.

+ Reply to Thread