+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Meg15, what are your likes and dislikes about it?

RBW Member TSwain is an unknown quantity at this point TSwain's Avatar
    Hollis Explorrer

Meg15, what are your likes and dislikes about it?

Hi all been lurking on here for awhile and have a Hollis Explorer thinking it would be a good step toward a full ECCR and have out grown it quite fast. I have tried the older Dive Rite Optima and a Meg15 so far. I have been looking to try the Hollis P2 also, but I really don't feel you get the true feeling of how the units work at 20 feet on a 20 15 to 20 minute dive so why spend more money on the try dives! I am leaning toward the Meg 15 due to the local support and instructor.

What I am looking for is feed back on the Meg15 from you that dive it and from others that thought about a Meg15 but then went with another unit. What made you go with the meg or what turned you away from it?

A little about me, I have been diving since 1996 and am full cave and Advanced Nitrox certified and looking to start going deeper and longer in the near future to some awesome locations. I also do a little bit of video and have noticed with the Explorer how much closer the you can get to the underwater life! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks for your help!
    Todd

Moe Moe is an unknown quantity at this point Moe's Avatar
    SF-2 + Megalodon

Evolution + Poseidon MK7

Re: Meg15, what are your likes and dislikes about it?

Hey Tod

I've been diving a meg 2.7 for some time and always thought it was a beautiful not to mention bulletproof machine... I can't say the same about the 15 unfortunately though...

I bought a 15 about a year ago now, and have never missed or had to abort so many dives ever with any other unit. The amount of problems I've had with it is just ridiculous...

First, the battery kept giving bogus charge % left and kept fluctuating from 70% to 10% to 100% at any point it chose to...It wouldn't indicate that it's charging while plugged in and after a full night plugged in would read 70% then jump to 30% after 10 mins underwater... We had it sent to the UK ISC rep and it came back after a battery change with the same problem, so we're sending it back to ISC now.

ISC had a solid reputation with the meg 2.7 and they decided to kill it IMO with the 15. All the things that made the meg great have been changed or eliminated in the 15 from the calibration process of the head to the location of O2 injection.

I'm not even going to comment on the way ISC handles their email inbox... Anyway that's another thing, there's also the fact that ISC had announced that the deco software will be available to update the electronics in the first quarter of the year but still no deco software available...

All these issues have unfortunately put me off... I've started teaching on the SF2 and I feel much more confident with it. The uncluttered chest area is a godsend and the fact that the unit doesn't weigh a ton has made the SF2 No. 1 in my book...

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

I love the Meg, but.....

1. I don't like the Apeks handset and wish that they would adopt the Shearwater as their controller rather than just allowing it to function as a secondary HS.

2. Their counterlungs are too big! I don't mind OTS CL - it's the price you pay for superior breathing compared to any BMCL. However, I don't understand the justification for having that much gas capacity in those CL's. It makes them unnecessarily bulky, and (unless very vigilant) will cause unnecessary large loop volumes.

3. Minor quibble: There has to be a better way to secure the head rather than using those funky clamps. I like what they did on the Pathfinder. The twist off, was very nice. May not be a solution for the Meg...just saying.

If they would improve on points 1 and 2, it would almost be the perfect unit.

RBW Member TSwain is an unknown quantity at this point TSwain's Avatar
    Hollis Explorrer

Thanks for the replies!

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post

2. Their counterlungs are too big! I don't mind OTS CL - it's the price you pay for superior breathing compared to any BMCL. However, I don't understand the justification for having that much gas capacity in those CL's. It makes them unnecessarily bulky, and (unless very vigilant) will cause unnecessary large loop volumes.

You can sew an edge down to reduce the volume on the OTS's

RBW Member Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll is a jewel in the rough Clive O' Driscoll's Avatar
    Waiting for my Next

Megalodon 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by Moe  View Original Post
    Hey Tod

I've been diving a meg 2.7 for some time and always thought it was a beautiful not to mention bulletproof machine... I can't say the same about the 15 unfortunately though...

I bought a 15 about a year ago now, and have never missed or had to abort so many dives ever with any other unit. The amount of problems I've had with it is just ridiculous...

First, the battery kept giving bogus charge % left and kept fluctuating from 70% to 10% to 100% at any point it chose to...It wouldn't indicate that it's charging while plugged in and after a full night plugged in would read 70% then jump to 30% after 10 mins underwater... We had it sent to the UK ISC rep and it came back after a battery change with the same problem, so we're sending it back to ISC now.

ISC had a solid reputation with the meg 2.7 and they decided to kill it IMO with the 15. All the things that made the meg great have been changed or eliminated in the 15 from the calibration process of the head to the location of O2 injection.

I'm not even going to comment on the way ISC handles their email inbox... Anyway that's another thing, there's also the fact that ISC had announced that the deco software will be available to update the electronics in the first quarter of the year but still no deco software available...

All these issues have unfortunately put me off... I've started teaching on the SF2 and I feel much more confident with it. The uncluttered chest area is a godsend and the fact that the unit doesn't weigh a ton has made the SF2 No. 1 in my book...
    Very interested in hearing about the outcome of this, Thanks for posting

RBW Member blackman is on a distinguished road blackman is on a distinguished road blackman's Avatar
    Meg 15

rEvo III hccr, Meg 2,7 Meg 15

I also got one of the first meg 15 heads.
    Also had trouble with the charging and battery. But I have had no trouble since I changed the charger, things have stabled out.
    The only thing I find disturbing now is the fact that cell 3 spikes when the solenoid injects (which is normal since cell 3 is closest to the solenoid output). So for me the idea will be now about being able to add some sort of diversion.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

This is not the first time I've heard people complain about the meg15 battery (not charging, not holding a charge, taking forever to charge). There is a newer battery available that a few people have switched to. Not sure if the batteries were just inconsistent at first or if its actually a different battery. Have you contacted ISC about the battery issues?

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

I love the Meg, but.....

1. I don't like the Apeks handset and wish that they would adopt the Shearwater as their controller rather than just allowing it to function as a secondary HS.

3. Minor quibble: There has to be a better way to secure the head rather than using those funky clamps. I like what they did on the Pathfinder. The twist off, was very nice. May not be a solution for the Meg...just saying.

Dear Claudia,

On a separate note, is Leon still making the Pathfinder?

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

I love the Meg, but.....

Dear Claudia,

I have the smaller 2.5 liter lungs for the HP2, better then factory 3.5 lungs that come with the HP2. Since I am 5,8 the smaller lungs work fine.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast