+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Prism topaz idiosyncrasies?

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Re: Prism topaz idiosyncrasies?

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    Hi Andy,

100% UNBELIEVABLE, EFFORT, KNOWLEDGE, PASSION!
    This post goes into the Prism Topaz Hall of Fame....

Best regards,

Thanks Chett! Happy to share the knowledge..!

Heather Knowles NEwreckdiver will become famous soon enough NEwreckdiver will become famous soon enough NEwreckdiver will become famous soon enough NEwreckdiver's Avatar
    Prism 2, Prism Topaz

Hi Cameron and All-

Chett gave me a heads up about this thread, as I'm not very active on the boards these days. It is great to see such an active, knowledgeable and passionate community of Prism Topaz divers out there! I'm sure this group will be a great resource for you as you get to know your Prism's "personality." I don't have much to add to the great advice you've been given.

I think you'll enjoy your Prism, it's an older technology, but still a good one. And Pete and Shas are good people.

Cheers,
    Heather

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Another P1 bugaboo: Make sure to check the tightness of the O2 manual add hose. My wife's was loose and she lost 1000psi of O2 before we could stop it. It's never happened to me though in the 13 years I've had mine, and hers is newer than mine...

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Another P1 bugaboo: Make sure to check the tightness of the O2 manual add hose. My wife's was loose and she lost 1000psi of O2 before we could stop it. It's never happened to me though in the 13 years I've had mine, and hers is newer than mine...
    Meaning the nut on the hose just above the connector..!

RBW Member astralcat23 is an unknown quantity at this point astralcat23's Avatar
    Steam Machines Prism

Bucket issues. I have #7 original PRISM. Modified by Mr. Robert Landreth with stainless ring and latches like current version. The tabs on original bucket closure are no bueno. They break. Mine did. Get this: It took one whole year to resolve a Bucket out of round issue. Bottom line, The bucket is super strong. Peter Readey tossed One of a 2nd story to show me it's strength. They are however VERY sensitive to heat and temperature variations. I always protected mine from heat and yet it got so out of round, somehow, that it was unusable. Resolution was Sharon "Cooking" it to round then getting machine shop to reweld stainless ring to fit. Total pain in the Ass.

If your Lung inlets have not been replaced with Gland seals and fittings have Sharon change them out. Mine failed. On the surface, Thank God.

Question to PRISM peeps: I use 20 steel faber tanks. My trim is way off. Wants to rotate Counter clockways. I have added weight to system to compensate but not tested it. Anyone else had trim issues?

I'm still using Betadine for cleaning. Help?

How long can a packed, sealed Canister be useful for? I pack 'em carefully and then after airing out to remove moisture is sealed in Drybag. DOES IT DEGRADE?

Aloha Nui from Maui,-G
    Last edited by astralcat23; 19th August 2016 at 06:20. Reason: info

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by astralcat23  View Original Post
    Bucket issues. I have #7 original PRISM. Modified by Mr. Robert Landreth with stainless ring and latches like current version. The tabs on original bucket closure are no bueno. They break. Mine did. Get this: It took one whole year to resolve a Bucket out of round issue. Bottom line, The bucket is super strong. Peter Readey tossed One of a 2nd story to show me it's strength. They are however VERY sensitive to heat and temperature variations. I always protected mine from heat and yet it got so out of round, somehow, that it was unusable. Resolution was Sharon "Cooking" it to round then getting machine shop to reweld stainless ring to fit. Total pain in the Ass.

If your Lung inlets have not been replaced with Gland seals and fittings have Sharon change them out. Mine failed. On the surface, Thank God.

Question to PRISM peeps: I use 20 steel faber tanks. My trim is way off. Wants to rotate Counter clockways. I have added weight to system to compensate but not tested it. Anyone else had trim issues?

How long can a packed, sealed Canister be useful for? I pack 'em carefully and then after airing out to remove moisture is sealed in Drybag. DOES IT DEGRADE?

Aloha Nui from Maui,-G

Hi Glenn,
    For cleaning the counterlungs loop hoses etc. I would use Steramine Disinfectant - Add Helium

Regarding the gland seals, are you talking about the plastic elbows with the gland seals that attached to the counterlungs?

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by astralcat23  View Original Post

Aloha Nui from Maui,-G
    Hello G, I have heard about the temp sensitive bucket material-out of round thing, but not hand any issue with mine, which has been Through many temp extremes. I wonder if it's a batch to batch issue. Sorry to hear that story.

If I understand you correctly on the CL issue, do you mean the welded vs later screw fittings on the CL side of the head-CL hoses? If so, I agree, the screw fittings are the only suitable ones for a piece of life support. They must have been trying to save weight in the beginning. My first welded pair ripped around the exhale lung hose fitting on my second trip to Belize in 03'. The P2 also has a welded connection, a mistake in my opinion...

As for trim, I have weight pockets attached, via drilled holes and zip ties, to the flat top of the Fiberglas cowling/cover. This is the only way I have been able to easily achieve horizontal trim. I don't think the steel cylinders would affect trim negatively, but it will prevent you from using the cover as those cylinders are too narrow to hold the cover securely. Furthermore, the weight pockets in the lungs themselves are not helpful and more of a hindrance for wetsuit diving. They may be of use with weighting in a dry suit, but I wouldn't know.,

Betadine works, even very dilute. And it's pretty cheap. I'm sure you can use the AP stuff too. Not sure what other mfgs recommend.

As for the sorb question, my guess is that it does not degrade? I can't see why it would. I think this question has been asked before on RBW, try a search. Happy trails.. -Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3