+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Prism topaz idiosyncrasies?

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: Prism topaz idiosyncrasies?

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    I remember in the early/mid 90's when Pete Readey was promoting his unit round the UK there was someone else touting a rival unit at the same time who was claiming PRISM stood for Pete Readey's Instant Suicide Machine.

20 years later are sales tactics much better?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
    Yeah well I guess the rumor is proven to be wrong...

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by rjack  View Original Post
    Depends on who's waving the pdf
    But does the pdf have a CE sticker?

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    Hi Cameron,

I believe that the unit is made from a heavy duty polymer plastic. Some parts are not compatible and interchangeable from one unit to another so be aware of this.

Robert Landreth is a person you should try to introduce yourself to as he has thousands of hours in fixing modifying and changing many aspects of this unit.

Best regards,

Is he any less elusive these days? Found an old thread with a gaggle of divers trying to find him and his gold eggs. I'll get some bottom time under my belt and get a feel for it first but moving forward I would like to get it a little more robust, not to mention even more gorgeous.

Expedition diving potential wrecks locally here have been calling my name.

Richard Huntrods sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy has a spectacular aura about sunnyboy's Avatar
    Prism Topaz

Just curious - who is doing your training and where are you doing it?

PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyboy  View Original Post
    Just curious - who is doing your training and where are you doing it?
    Pm sent.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Sparedone  View Original Post
    I'm the proud new owner of Tom's gray wolf with a donut wing topaz. Late on the band wagon I've missed the hayday of stories and preferences regarding this unit.

What elements of the design did/do you find particularly useful or problematic?

Hoping to gather some of the lore of it's crowning features and avoid some of the negative points.

I appreciated the magnificent Chett L. built by Robert Landreth refining the unit.

Also, have dug through the archives for what the internet has to say but the records are getting scarce.

However, we all have our own values and quirks so I'd love to hear what made it suited to your diving.

Regards,
    Cameron

Ps. Apologies to Tom for the ungraceful naming... perhaps I need a christening.
    Hello Cameron, congratulations on your purchase, I hope you enjoy your P1 as much as I do mine.

A few things worth mentioning:

- If you don't have one, try to get one of the fiberglass covers, they are very strong and will help guarantee long service. They might not fit the grey wolf, not sure if you bought that particular unit because you want the bottom frame dry suit bottle mount his system provides.

- Try to rig up some kind of handle that sticks above the head. Any real help you get from the boat crew will require a handle, one well above the electronics cables.

- During multi day dive trips, each day blow out the excess water from the counter lungs through the drains on the bottom of the lungs and leave them inflated overnight, which will encourage further drainage/dryness and help prevent funk. If you are not in need of a scrubber change, you can leave the bucket on. I used to take mine off every night, until I realized that the sensors are meant to function in 100% humidity and unless you are having weird/intermittent sensor readings, which means sensor connectivity or longevity problems, leaving the bucket on is fine. Never break a seal if it's functioning properly.

- Get a retractor for the secondary gage and a routine for clipping the gage off during don and doff. Make sure to place it such that you can reach it at each step. I've yet to break one in 600+ hrs thanks to having a routine: Clip it high to the handle btw dives for boat crew handling, move it to the inhale lung d ring prior to donning, then move it across to the exhale lung for the dive. Reverse after dive. I've still managed to bang mine around plenty and it's fine.

-Make sure you shoot water from a hose under the sensor dial after the dive to remove sand/grit from under it. It's a reed switch and thus has a gap that collects debris.

- Pay attention to the rise rate of the needle as you switch between sensors. It will give you an indication of the sensor health-a slow rise could mean too much water on the sensor face, or that it's about to die. If it shoots up fast and passes the SP, it may be on the verge of failing high.

- Get Velcro cable ties for the HUD cable for attaching to the breathing hose.

- Pay close attention to how many and how severe the bend angles of the cables are as the come out of the head. Use zip ties where possible to keep them from kinking or rubbing against sharp edges.

- The breathing hoses can and should be trimmed to suit your setup and diving. The hoses to the head should be no longer than they need to be to accommodate your chest size. If they are too long, the will stand up behind your head and push against your head while swimming horizontal. Make sure the DSV hoses are long enough to turn your head and no longer, lest they get kinked and screw up WOB. You will have to dip your head down before completing a full turn of your head.

- The CL DSV hose fittings should also be finessed, if the angle is to far away from your head, the hose may kink.

- Give a good blow around the perimeter of the battery cap before opening to remove standing water, especially if the unit is standing up. Do not over lubricate the battery cap o ring, this is the number one cause of battery cap floods. The merest amount of lube is all you need. Over lubing in general is not good as it tends to attract more hair, lint, sand, etc to the sealing surface.

- If the DSV leaks it will most likely be from the small o ring btw the brass lever and the barrel.

- A dip test is worth a thousand pos/neg tests. You get to check your pneumatics, loop and wing all at the same time.

- The top of any cover is a great place for trim weight pockets. I zip tied some on top of mine, works great.

- I think the idea of the Prism CLs being the shoulder strap/weight baring part of the harness is genius. It makes don/doff easier than any other unit, you just step/slide in/out, and your DSV/loop wil never come crashing down on your nose on a pitching boat deck. However, preserving the stock Prism CL/harness arrangement for tech diving requires that you go with a side mount BO configuration, which is better in almost every way than regular shoulder D ring slinging, IMHO...

- Be pleasant and friendly when dealing with SMI and you will find them very friendly and pleasant in return. It is ever thus with any small company founded on experience and passion. Appreciation is always a two way street.

I'm sure I've forgot some things, will post again when I remember more. Happy trails! -Andy
    Last edited by silent running; 16th August 2016 at 11:38.

PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by silent running  View Original Post
    Hello Cameron, congratulations on your purchase, I hope you enjoy your P1 as much as I do mine.

-snip pure gold-

- Be pleasant and friendly when dealing with SMI and you will find them very friendly and pleasant in return. It is ever thus with any small company founded on experience and passion. Appreciation is always a two way street.

I'm sure I've forgot some things, will post again when I remember more. Happy trails! -Andy

Each of those very well will save a dive! Thank you so much for sharing what you've learned to keep them happy. Looking forward to tuning it over the coming years once I understand. The minimum lube advice would have saved a camera when my gobs of lube snuck a hair into the seal years back.

I'll welcome the ongoing thoughts as they come!

In way of a thread jack, I sent an introductory email to SMI to touch base... A few hours later Shas called me for a delightful chat. Informative and enthusiastic with the offer of full support for spares. Customer care second to none. Did feel like I had just adopted a favorite child. She also mentioned a dozen active instructors, goes to show how many of us spend our time diving quietly.

Another interesting point is their repair training sessions. Committed to helping us not sit out dives and understand what we are diving....

Preaching to the choir to you guys who've been on the Prism a while. However, it's heartening to see the ongoing support and welcome.

Keep diving!
    Cameron

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

- If you don't have one, try to get one of the fiberglass covers, they are very strong and will help guarantee long service. They might not fit the grey wolf, not sure if you bought that particular unit because you want the bottom frame dry suit bottle mount his system provides.

- Try to rig up some kind of handle that sticks above the head. Any real help you get from the boat crew will require a handle, one well above the electronics cables.

- During multi day dive trips, each day blow out the excess water from the counter lungs through the drains on the bottom of the lungs and leave them inflated overnight, which will encourage further drainage/dryness and help prevent funk. If you are not in need of a scrubber change, you can leave the bucket on. I used to take mine off every night, until I realized that the sensors are meant to function in 100% humidity and unless you are having weird/intermittent sensor readings, which means sensor connectivity or longevity problems, leaving the bucket on is fine. Never break a seal if it's functioning properly.

- Get a retractor for the secondary gage and a routine for clipping the gage off during don and doff. Make sure to place it such that you can reach it at each step. I've yet to break one in 600+ hrs thanks to having a routine: Clip it high to the handle btw dives for boat crew handling, move it to the inhale lung d ring prior to donning, then move it across to the exhale lung for the dive. Reverse after dive. I've still managed to bang mine around plenty and it's fine.

-Make sure you shoot water from a hose under the sensor dial after the dive to remove sand/grit from under it. It's a reed switch and thus has a gap that collects debris.

- Pay attention to the rise rate of the needle as you switch between sensors. It will give you an indication of the sensor health-a slow rise could mean too much water on the sensor face, or that it's about to die. If it shoots up fast and passes the SP, it may be on the verge of failing high.

- Get Velcro cable ties for the HUD cable for attaching to the breathing hose.

- Pay close attention to how many and how severe the bend angles of the cables are as the come out of the head. Use zip ties where possible to keep them from kinking or rubbing against sharp edges.

- The breathing hoses can and should be trimmed to suit your setup and diving. The hoses to the head should be no longer than they need to be to accommodate your chest size. If they are too long, the will stand up behind your head and push against your head while swimming horizontal. Make sure the DSV hoses are long enough to turn your head and no longer, lest they get kinked and screw up WOB. You will have to dip your head down before completing a full turn of your head.

- The CL DSV hose fittings should also be finessed, if the angle is to far away from your head, the hose may kink.

- Give a good blow around the perimeter of the battery cap before opening to remove standing water, especially if the unit is standing up. Do not over lubricate the battery cap o ring, this is the number one cause of battery cap floods. The merest amount of lube is all you need. Over lubing in general is not good as it tends to attract more hair, lint, sand, etc to the sealing surface.

- If the DSV leaks it will most likely be from the small o ring btw the brass lever and the barrel.

- A dip test is worth a thousand pos/neg tests. You get to check your pneumatics, loop and wing all at the same time.

- The top of any cover is a great place for trim weight pockets. I zip tied some on top of mine, works great.

- I think the idea of the Prism CLs being the shoulder strap/weight baring part of the harness is genius. It makes don/doff easier than any other unit, you just step/slide in/out, and your DSV/loop wil never come crashing down on your nose on a pitching boat deck. However, preserving the stock Prism CL/harness arrangement for tech diving requires that you go with a side mount BO configuration, which is better in almost every way than regular shoulder D ring slinging, IMHO...

Hi Andy,

100% UNBELIEVABLE, EFFORT, KNOWLEDGE, PASSION!
    This post goes into the Prism Topaz Hall of Fame....

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

I agree with Andy, definitely look into creating a strain relief for cables coming out of the head, very simple to do by using zip ties. Regarding, what Andy said about the counter lungs after diving. Also a good idea in between dives to drain the exhale counterlung, very simple by pulling on the rubber tube at the bottom of the counter lung, as this is used for removing water if necessary.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Sparedone  View Original Post

Each of those very well will save a dive! Thank you so much for sharing what you've learned to keep them happy. Looking forward to tuning it over the coming years once I understand. The minimum lube advice would have saved a camera when my gobs of lube snuck a hair into the seal years back.

I'll welcome the ongoing thoughts as they come!

In way of a thread jack, I sent an introductory email to SMI to touch base... A few hours later Shas called me for a delightful chat. Informative and enthusiastic with the offer of full support for spares. Customer care second to none. Did feel like I had just adopted a favorite child. She also mentioned a dozen active instructors, goes to show how many of us spend our time diving quietly.

Another interesting point is their repair training sessions. Committed to helping us not sit out dives and understand what we are diving....

Preaching to the choir to you guys who've been on the Prism a while. However, it's heartening to see the ongoing support and welcome.

Keep diving!
    Cameron
    You're welcome Cameron, the wife and I are in the Philippines diving our P1's right now. Will keep the info coming as I remember more stuff! -Andy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast