+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Prism topaz idiosyncrasies?

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Prism topaz idiosyncrasies?

I'm the proud new owner of Tom's gray wolf with a donut wing topaz. Late on the band wagon I've missed the hayday of stories and preferences regarding this unit.

What elements of the design did/do you find particularly useful or problematic?

Hoping to gather some of the lore of it's crowning features and avoid some of the negative points.

I appreciated the magnificent Chett L. built by Robert Landreth refining the unit.

Also, have dug through the archives for what the internet has to say but the records are getting scarce.

However, we all have our own values and quirks so I'd love to hear what made it suited to your diving.

Regards,
    Cameron

Ps. Apologies to Tom for the ungraceful naming... perhaps I need a christening.
    Last edited by Sparedone; 15th August 2016 at 03:57. Reason: Making my post even more convoluted.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: Prism topaz idiosyncrasies?

Did you buy a complete unit or just a wing?

If you got a complete unit, here's a few things to be aware of.

Be careful with the scrubber bucket pins, especially when you are removing the scrubber bucket after diving or anytime you are taking the bucket on or off. Be very patient with this procedure or you can snap the pins off.

Be careful with the secondary, not to accidentally drop it or bang it too hard.

Be careful when you remove the battery compartment each time you open it. Make sure it's clean and put plenty of silicone before diving.

Inside the battery compartment there is a calibration pod, maybe buy a back up module. Buy a spare wiring harness.

Make sure you get familiar with the ADV, you usually have to manually fire this when you are Desending. There are dozens & dozens of people that have this first generation Prism Topaz, and they all have hundreds and hundreds of dives on them. The people that have the most dives on these units never post here on RBW, instead they are diving and not posting, I know many of them and they are still happy with this unit even though it's not the latest and greatest.

Best regards,
    Last edited by Chett.L; 15th August 2016 at 06:04.
    Chett. L

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

I'd also add the you may want to reach out to Pete and Shaz, I believe they still support the P1 and should have spares (or at least the tooling to make you some) should you need them.

http://www.steammachines.com/

It's a fun unit, dive it as often as you can.

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

I would be honored to reach out to the creator of the incredible steam machine, I may hang in the shallows a while until I fully appreciate their support!

Glad to know they are still avaliable.

I certainly intend to! Maybe even get it into some nice warm waters!
    Last edited by Sparedone; 15th August 2016 at 17:12. Reason: Irrelivent now.

PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    Did you buy a complete unit or just a wing?

If you got a complete unit, here's a few things to be aware of.

Be careful with the scrubber bucket pins, especially when you are removing the scrubber bucket after diving or anytime you are taking the bucket on or off. Be very patient with this procedure or you can snap the pins off.

Be careful with the secondary, not to accidentally drop it or bang it too hard.

Be careful when you remove the battery compartment each time you open it. Make sure it's clean and put plenty of silicone before diving.

Inside the battery compartment there is a calibration pod, maybe buy a back up module. Buy a spare wiring harness.

Make sure you get familiar with the ADV, you usually have to manually fire this when you are Desending. There are dozens & dozens of people that have this first generation Prism Topaz, and they all have hundreds and hundreds of dives on them. The people that have the most dives on these units never post here on RBW, instead they are diving and not posting, I know many of them and they are still happy with this unit even though it's not the latest and greatest.

Best regards,

It is the full breather, and with some thoughtful spare too, including the wiring. I'll be primarily diving in the middle of no where so they'll come in very handy... Expect me on the buy sell page as well if something goes pear shaped. I intend to maintain two units, and they are finally at a price point that's logically possible. (Though Tom's was an exceptional deal for a well maintained rig)

It does seem often those most underwater are least online. Glad to know there are plenty still floating around at 5m and are well loved.

I've had my eye on one for a decade and finally made the move.

Thanks for the heads up on the plastic (derlin?) fragility.

I'll also keep special eye on avoiding flooding.

In working on my own analog seconadary I did a tear down of the volt meter on a spare guage. No wonder they deserve a little attention to avoid using them as a mace.

All the best!
    Cameron
    Last edited by Sparedone; 15th August 2016 at 17:34.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by Sparedone  View Original Post
    It is the full breather, and with some thoughtful spare too, including the wiring. I'll be primarily diving in the middle of no where so they'll come in very handy... Expect me on the buy sell page as well if something goes pear shaped. I intend to maintain two units, and they are finally at a price point that's logically possible. (Though Tom's was an exceptional deal for a well maintained rig)

It does seem often those most underwater are least online. Glad to know there are plenty still floating around at 5m and are well loved.

I've had my eye on one for a decade and finally made the move.

Thanks for the heads up on the plastic (derlin?) fragility.

I'll also keep special eye on avoiding flooding.

In working on my own analog seconadary I did a tear down of the volt meter on a spare guage. No wonder they deserve a little attention to avoid using them as a mace.

All the best!
    Cameron
    Hi Cameron,

I believe that the unit is made from a heavy duty polymer plastic. Some parts are not compatible and interchangeable from one unit to another so be aware of this.

Robert Landreth is a person you should try to introduce yourself to as he has thousands of hours in fixing modifying and changing many aspects of this unit.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by Sparedone  View Original Post
    I would be honored to reach out to the creator of the incredible steam machine, I may hang in the shallows a while until I fully appreciate their support!

Glad to know they are still avaliable.

I certainly intend to! Maybe even get it into some nice warm waters!
    I forgot to mention the name PRISM (Pete Readey(s) Incredible Steam Machine) The original logo they had was hilarious if you can find it. One of Pete's buddies did the drawing.

Here's a link to a fun video, about 6.5 minutes long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQWadCRvhjw

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    I forgot to mention the name PRISM (Pete Readey(s) Incredible Steam Machine) The original logo they had was hilarious if you can find it. One of Pete's buddies did the drawing.

I remember in the early/mid 90's when Pete Readey was promoting his unit round the UK there was someone else touting a rival unit at the same time who was claiming PRISM stood for Pete Readey's Instant Suicide Machine.

20 years later are sales tactics much better?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    I remember in the early/mid 90's when Pete Readey was promoting his unit round the UK there was someone else touting a rival unit at the same time who was claiming PRISM stood for Pete Readey's Instant Suicide Machine.

20 years later are sales tactics much better?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Depends on who's waving the pdf

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post

Excellent video!!! Peter speaks from the heart....

Thanks for posting.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast