+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wetsuit thickness for Florida Caves?

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Re: Wetsuit thickness for Florida Caves?

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownAwaits  View Original Post
    It actually makes sense given my circumstances. It will be at least a year until I am doing any more cold water diving, however I do wetsuit temp diving every day. Most of my TMX diving is in caribbean rash guard waters, and cave diving will either be in Mexico or here in the carribean. A dry suit will sit and build dust, CCR I will use for tec 1-2 times per week at least, and having cave also allows me to teach the PADI cavern course at work.

As for the lack of backup inflate, I have a double wing in my side mount set.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    With good bladder control maybe someone has a backup suit... I did the times you are planning in wet. Can be done. However, my skills are worse when shivering and the cave is less pretty with frost on your mask.

If you do go for it wet bring a couple thermos of body temp (code for don't sue me hot) water to presoak your suit so you don't begin the dive needing to bring the 72° water seeping in up to body temperature right from the get go

Cameron
    ...and I am Canadian.
    Last edited by Sparedone; 16th August 2016 at 02:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparedone  View Original Post
    With good bladder control maybe someone has a backup suit... I did the times you did in wet. Can be done. However, my skills are worse when shivering and the cave is less pretty with frost on your mask.

Cameron
    ...and I am Canadian.
    Thanks for the info, I'm also Canadian :)

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

then rent a drysuit....

I did Cave 1 in a 5mm suit in middle of august. Even though it was 35celcius at the surface...it felt like 20c since i lost so much body heat!

If you are doing full cave / tmx dives, wetsuit is not going to cut it. TMX will crush whatever thickness you put on! Flow caves will seep all body heat, and deco...you will hope to piss yourself every 5mins to warm up.

your instructor should be advising you about the issues of doing those courses in wetsuit...
    Last edited by Patpicos; 16th August 2016 at 13:43. Reason: typo

RBW Member jamproof is an unknown quantity at this point jamproof's Avatar

Its also a matter of safety - you decompress way better when you are warm. Depending on the flow you need to do stops in the cold river water. At the end of a dive it feels like a cold shower...

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jamproof  View Original Post
    Its also a matter of safety - you decompress way better when you are warm. Depending on the flow you need to do stops in the cold river water. At the end of a dive it feels like a cold shower...

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
    I am aware of the deco issues of regarding temperature. The trimix part will only be a 1 day crossover. I am used to depth, obviously in a cave it's a different thing altogether though. The unit crossover and CCR Cave course is the majority of the trip.

Thanks for the info. All of this is definitely making me take a look at going dry again. If in the end I absolutely must be dry then I will look at digging a bit deeper into the pockets, but I am hopefully able to handle 1 or 2 dives... they don't need to be agressive profiles either...

Thanks

Last edited by UnknownAwaits; 16th August 2016 at 15:12.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

I think the consenus is pretty clear - use a drysuit!
    If you don't, and I was your instructor with knowledge of this thread, I would have to question your ability to take good advice and suitabilty to take an advanced (technical) diving course.
    IOW I would refuse to have you as a student.

Take the course in Mexico and nobody would have any gripes.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    I think the consenus is pretty clear - use a drysuit!
    If you don't, and I was your instructor with knowledge of this thread, I would have to question your ability to take good advice and suitabilty to take an advanced (technical) diving course.
    IOW I would refuse to have you as a student.

Take the course in Mexico and nobody would have any gripes.

Michael
    It appears so, I will look into renting one.

It seems rather unfair though to judge somebodies abilities and judgment because they don't immediately do what people on a forum have said!

I have time to figure it out, and my instructor is aware I will be wet.

That being said, I will take another look at going dry, even if it is rented.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

I'm a little confused at what course you're doing? A unit crossover with trimix at the same time? Or a OC to CCR cave crossover with trimix added?

Who's the instructor? There are plenty of people who are doing minimal deco dives in a wetsuit in FL caves. They are almost always kicking (no scooters), and diving OC nitrox in the main systems that are <32m/110ft deep. Rarely using a stage, so net their deco is 5 maybe 10mins. I don't think I've ever seen a CCR diver in a FL cave using a wetsuit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast