+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wetsuit thickness for Florida Caves?

Wetsuit thickness for Florida Caves?

I will be travelling to Florida for a CCR Cave and Trimix course (in the caves too), and am wondering what thickness of suit I should be wearing. Diving dry is not an option as of yet unfortunately.

I have done diving in 4C water in a 7mm and it was horribly, horribly cold. I own a 3mm and 5mm set of suits/hood/wetsuit. I can buy a 7mm set if needed but would a 5mm do? Stacking the 3mm under the 5mm suit?

any advice is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Re: Wetsuit thickness for Florida Caves?

20°C Water Temps, 2 dives a day, no thermocline, approx 90 minute runtimes each dive. Dive dry or just plan on being very very cold the whole week.

Michael

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

caves are 22c (72F) in North Florida year round. 7mm will do the trick but expect to feel cold towards the end of the dives especially on deco. I recommend a dry suit not only for thermal but also for its use as secondary inflation, if diving wet you will need a wing with double inflation and also pockets on your wet suit.
    Gabe

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

you might get colder during your trimix dives. I typically dive dry and adjust my undergarments accordingly.

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

I'm skinny and dove layered 3mm. Added a hood day 7 which helped. Otherwise, it's quite chilly an hour into the dive. I'd recommend enough insulation so deco isn't spent freezing on the second dive of the day. I'd go for a 7mm next time with a full hood from the start minimum.

Warm regards,
    Cameron

Chris Ferrar hyrax is an unknown quantity at this point hyrax's Avatar
    Evolution

I recommend diving dry.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

You're gonna shiver on deco wet. 7mm would be the least shivering but still

RBW Member camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone has a spectacular aura about camerone's Avatar

Trimix in a cave in a wetsuit? Definitely not one of the best ideas I've heard...sure, it can be done, but you're already in a high stress situation, especially in training, and you're going to layer more discomfort into it?

As others have pointed out, besides being damn cold, you lose your backup inflation option unless you're sporting a double bladder'd wing.

I'll add that the motion restrictions imposed by a thick enough wetsuit are going to make a bunch of the drills uncomfortable or difficult, too. There's a LOT of gear to be dealing with whilst cave diving, and being able to get all of it together, in the dark, lights out, and save yourself is critical. The flexibility of a trilam drysuit is what you really want.

7mm semi-dry wetsuit, integrated hood, and I would consider something under or over to warm the core a little more. You'll be miserably overheated on land getting in and out, and by the end, uncomfortable in the water. CCR cave dives are long, and the deco obligations are not something you generally have the ability to keep moving around on to stay warm. You take them where you have to, wedged on a log/crevice/etc, and there often isn't a lot of space to try to do much other than hang and breathe.

RBW Member s115 is an unknown quantity at this point s115's Avatar
    Meg Apecs/SW

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownAwaits  View Original Post
    Diving dry is not an option as of yet unfortunately.
    Would re think that you are spending so much money on tmx and ccr cave and a trip to florida before spending money on diving dry. kind of nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by s115  View Original Post
    Would re think that you are spending so much money on tmx and ccr cave and a trip to florida before spending money on diving dry. kind of nonsensical.
    It actually makes sense given my circumstances. It will be at least a year until I am doing any more cold water diving, however I do wetsuit temp diving every day. Most of my TMX diving is in caribbean rash guard waters, and cave diving will either be in Mexico or here in the carribean. A dry suit will sit and build dust, CCR I will use for tec 1-2 times per week at least, and having cave also gives me a few extra bonuses at work.

As for the lack of backup inflate, I have a double wing in my side mount set.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by UnknownAwaits; 16th August 2016 at 15:13.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast