+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas expenditure?

RBW Member theJonas is an unknown quantity at this point theJonas's Avatar

Gas expenditure?

I was wondering if it would be wise to get an extra diluent bottle for a rebreather when you order one? Im guessing that you typically spend more dil than o2 or could it be the other way around? Or roughly equally spent gas from both bottles?

Thanks.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Gas expenditure?

It'll depend a bit on how you dive but I tend to find they end up about the same.

If you're going to get a spare, get O2. For a weekend trip you can get fills for your dil anywhere - or decant from a normal dive tank. O2 is often a little trickier to source.

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Eventually you'll probably end up with lots of diluent and O2 bottles.
    It starts out with an extra set so you can dive with full bottle on Saturday and Sunday, without having to get them refilled somewhere a long way away.
    It ends up with having enough bottles for a weeks diving without having to refill them.

I'm still somewhere in the middle, with 5 of each filled to 300bar, which lets me do 2 dives a day for 5 days without having to search, while on vacation, for a shop with a 300bar compressor, O2 and a booster.

Michael

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

If you want to buy one extra bottle, buy an O2 bottle. Then get a transfill whip and top up your diluent (steal) from your open circuit buddies tanks when they are not looking.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I typically use more O2, than dil.

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

Im still new to this...but Im using significantly more O2 than dil. Maybe Im doing something wrong, but I barely touch the dil...

That being said I have 3 sets of tanks and may grab another. I can spend an hour in the garage filling tanks and be set for a few weeks.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

YMMV but I found disabling the ADV improved O2 consumption enormously. Mine was quite twitchy and would tend to throw dil at me before I hit "the wall" when checking for minimum loop. And, of course, as soon as a bit of dil goes into your loop the controller starts chasing it with O2 to get back to setpoint. Fun times.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Spare 02 bottle and carry a whip an a 12 for decanting to your dill.

Personaly without a fill station at home id never get 3ltr trimix fills. Dificult to get the mix right and not enough bang for buck for two visits to the dive shop.

Get the best fill you can on a 300bar 12 or fill a 235bar 15ltr and decant to your 3ltr with a whip.

If your going to get in the water with a minimum 150bar in your dill then a 15ltr 235 should give you 6-7 whip fills

+ Reply to Thread