+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebreather advice for a newbie

Rebreather advice for a newbie

HI,

I致e been looking at diving gear for sale online and I知 interested in buying my first rebreather. The thought of bubble-free diving really excites me as I知 an amateur undersea photographer and I think this will help me get much better shots.
    I知 a recreational diver so I知 not looking for anything too complex and have a bunch of questions that I hope you good people can help me with. Apologies if these have been dealt with before but I couldn稚 see any info on the forum.
    I am PADI qualified to Dive Master but what extra training do I require to use the equipment?

Any advice on which unit to buy? I have been looking at the Explorer:

This looks really cool and seems to come well recommended. Anyone have any experience of using this?
    Generally how much should I spend on a rebreather and what do I need to look out for when buying them second hand?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Rebreather advice for a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Kanuck  View Original Post
    HI,

I致e been looking at diving gear for sale online and I知 interested in buying my first rebreather. The thought of bubble-free diving really excites me as I知 an amateur undersea photographer and I think this will help me get much better shots.
    I知 a recreational diver so I知 not looking for anything too complex and have a bunch of questions that I hope you good people can help me with. Apologies if these have been dealt with before but I couldn稚 see any info on the forum.
    I am PADI qualified to Dive Master but what extra training do I require to use the equipment?

This looks really cool and seems to come well recommended. Anyone have any experience of using this?
    Generally how much should I spend on a rebreather and what do I need to look out for when buying them second hand?

Wrong unit if you want bubble free: search the difference between CCR and SCR. You can pick up a cheap 2ndhand dolphin if you are happy with an SCR. Cheap, simple, little to go wrong. Or you can go to CCR, accepting the greater complexity and expense for the sake of being able to dive deeper.

Or buy an Exploder if you want the limitations of SCR with the complexity and expense of CCR, ie the worst of both worlds. The Poseidon mk6 with its bullsh1t of batteries for ratings and more money for MAVs etc falls, IMO, into much the same category: all the complexity and expense of a grown up's CCR but with none of the advantages.

There are heaps of choices out there for real units that work well. All of them depend on you having the training and self discipline to avoid the pitfalls, all of them have various pros and cons.

Banned CGOUGHN is an unknown quantity at this point CGOUGHN's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Poseidon MkVI

While the Explorer isn't completely bubble free, it's a pretty solid unit if you're planning on staying within recreational depths. The bubbles that do escape the unit, do so from behind your back, so, not directly in front of your face for any camera work you have planned. There are other units that would also fit the bill for what you're talking about, but, I have had great experiences with Hollis. They've always taken care of anything I've needed when it came to support.

That being said, I'm also an advocate for people getting fully closed systems. It's a greater expense, but, you won't be depth limited either. Most people I've met that have purchased "recreational" rebreathers, have eventually moved on to full blown units. There are going to be more expenses, but, if it's within your grasp, you should start with a rebreather that you can grow with over time. There a lot of quality second hand units on the market. You should do some try dives before you commit to any particular unit. My 2 cents. Take it, or leave it, it's free. Either way, I hope you get a unit you're happy with and you find a great instructor.

Cheers - Chris

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

I would get a KISS GEM over this unit. You can use same setup for OC, or SCR, instead of 2 units.

Plus the GEM is about as foolproof and bombproof a unit as they come. Very simple units. No bells and whistles like the above thing.

That's amazing. Thanks for all your help guys. One more quick question. What kind of hours am I going to need to get trained up on the rebreathers?

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Gem isnt much, I think my course was 2 or 3 days, I dont recall now.

RBW Member P-A is an unknown quantity at this point P-A's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

The first choice you need to make is whether you want an ECCR with computer controls or an MCCR/DCCCR manual control/diver control. There are pros and cons for both choices. After that we can continue to discuss brands and special demands.

Muddiver Muddiver is an unknown quantity at this point Muddiver's Avatar
    Poseidon Cis Lunar 7

You need to start by taking a non-PADI Nitrox course so you get the fundamental difference between dive planning using the partial pressure of oxygen (PO2) in your breathing gas instead of the recreational open circuit planning based on the fraction of oxygen (FO2) in your breathing gas. That is the basic building block of rebreather diving. Then you can start to look at weather you want to manually run your rig, rely on a computer to set your PO2, do you want low cost limited capability, or expensive, robust, almost any depth diving, etc.

Also, the basic concepts are universal but all rebreather training that I am aware of is brand and model specific. Every rebreather allows control of the oxygen partial pressure in the breathing loop differently. So once you decide what your goal is and match the brand and model of rebreather to that, you will be ready to start training and learn that you don't know what you thought you knew.

Both SSI and PADI have quality training programs in rebreathers that you can get into. The progression from beginner Recreational Rebreather max 60 feet to full Tech is pretty much the same. Some shops even have rental programs to get you through the the course (like Jack's Diving Locker in HI and SSA in CA).

I recommend you purchase and read "Mastering Rebreathers" by Jeff Bozanic or download the U.S. navy Diving Manual, Rev. 6 which has sections on rebreathers, and read those before you start a course.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Lots of used units out there to choose from, look into a demo day locally if you can. That might help you identify what you like/dislike. I would personally avoid the explorer as its not a closed circuit unit, merely a nitrox gas extender.

HI,

I’ve been looking to buy diving gear online and I’m interested in getting my first rebreather. The thought of bubble-free diving really excites me as I’m an amateur undersea photographer and I think this will help me get much better shots.
    I’m a recreational diver so I’m not looking for anything too complex and have a bunch of questions that I hope you good people can help me with. Apologies if these have been dealt with before but I couldn’t see any info on the forum.

Thanks everyone for your help with this. There's been some really useful information and its given me lots to think about!
    Last edited by Kanuck; 12th August 2016 at 02:45.

+ Reply to Thread