+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice about rebreathers

Advice about rebreathers

Hi. I'm a newbie when it comes to rebreathers and have been wondering whether to make the leap or not.

I found this article which has helped explain a few things:

http://www.scubadiving.com/training/...dy-rebreathers

Does anyone else have any tips as to whether I am ready for a rebreathing unit and if so what should I be looking to buy?

RBW Member Jolly German is an unknown quantity at this point Jolly German's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Re: Advice about rebreathers

Quote Originally Posted by Kanuck  View Original Post
    Hi. I'm a newbie when it comes to rebreathers and have been wondering whether to make the leap or not.

I found this article which has helped explain a few things:

http://www.scubadiving.com/training/...dy-rebreathers

Does anyone else have any tips as to whether I am ready for a rebreathing unit and if so what should I be looking to buy?
    You don't say anything about yourself but there are only two reasons to get into rebreathers-

1. You Need one- the diving you want to do is not safe, possible or harder on OC.

2. You Want one- you have the budget, mechanical sympathy, patience and are happy to waive some safety and convenience for a toy.

Do not buy into the advertising hype from some corners, there is No such thing as a "safe" recreational rebreather, they are All (slightly) more risky, costly and time consuming than bullet proof OC equipment and techniques (which is why rebreather divers carry OC as backup!)

"If" you Need or Want it, get it. You don't need to justify it to yourself or others- just don't be under any impressions they are Better, Rebreathers are different but are still just S.C.U.B.A.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    You don't say anything about yourself but there are only two reasons to get into rebreathers-

1. You Need one- the diving you want to do is not safe, possible or harder on OC.

2. You Want one- you have the budget, mechanical sympathy, patience and are happy to waive some safety and convenience for a toy.

Do not buy into the advertising hype from some corners, there is No such thing as a "safe" recreational rebreather, they are All (slightly) more risky, costly and time consuming than bullet proof OC equipment and techniques (which is why rebreather divers carry OC as backup!)

"If" you Need or Want it, get it. You don't need to justify it to yourself or others- just don't be under any impressions they are Better, Rebreathers are different but are still just S.C.U.B.A.

good post

i got into rb diving because i really really wanted one.

later, i needed one

theres nothing wrong with wanting one and that is justification in itself.

there are too many who for some reason try to fool themselves and others that they need one when they could just be honest and say they want one

rbs are catnip to tech/toy/adventure types! lot of fun - to avail oneself of which a not insignificant degree of risk of death is accepted
    Last edited by Drmike; 10th August 2016 at 02:34.

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    good post

i got into rb diving because i really really wanted one.

later, i needed one

theres nothing wrong with wanting one and that is justification in itself.

there are too many who for some reason try to fool themselves and others that they need one when they could just be honest and say they want one

rbs are catnip to tech/toy/adventure types! lot of fun - to avail oneself of which a not insignificant degree of risk of death is accepted
    That two good posts on rationalizing buying a rig.

I also got one because I wanted one. It reinvigorated my interest in diving and I did 170 dives on it in my first year of owning it.

Then I got stuck into a project in a remote location and the rig made it possible to do 5 hr dives without having more than a small booster and some tanks of drive gas.

Not having to suck down stages and then haul them back to camp to pump them up made it possible to do more dives than if on OC.

You need to be interested in the rig and how it works. Don't be blinded by bling, simple and robust will come through in the long haul.

Do be humble about how long it takes to get on top of it.

Have fun! This is sport, enjoy and prepare to be rewarded in ways you hav't anticipated.

+ Reply to Thread