+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does Oxygen Go Bad? Using OLD O2 ?

RBW Member bajaecotours is an unknown quantity at this point bajaecotours's Avatar
    REVO

MEG

Does Oxygen Go Bad? Using OLD O2 ?

Thanks for any feedback on this question. I ran across a few 100cuft aluminum tanks i had filled with O2 about five years ago. I had used them when traveling on my boat and filling my RB tanks. I'm unaware of how or why O2 could go bad or stale...but is there any reason NOT to use oxygen that has been stored in a bottle for a few years?

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Re: Does Oxygen Go Bad? Using OLD O2 ?

Its fine, 5yrs isn't even "old"

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

As long as it's not Medical O2 it's ok.
    Medical O2 has an expiration date and should not be used after expiration

Michael

New Member DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge is a jewel in the rough DepthCharge's Avatar
    Hammered Inspiration

GEM, DC55, AKA60

Well..............considering that all of the O2 on earth has been here for 1 billion + years I think it would be OK........
    Later,
    John

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    As long as it's not Medical O2 it's ok.
    Medical O2 has an expiration date and should not be used after expiration

Michael
    That made me laugh today, thanks Michael

I just had to dump a T bottle of Helium because it became too old and defective. Every time I breathed it....it made my voice sound funny!

My favorite GI3 quotes about oxygen grades....

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 19:20:44 -0700
    Subject: Re: Which Oxygen?

"welding supply" is just what I call the places that sell gas, like Broward
    Welding, also known as Tri-Gas, in Ft Lauderdale. I personally like Balloon
    Helium, as is comes from balloons, or the Mango-Flavored Oxygen, that comes from
    Mangoes. Medical Oxygen comes from Hospitals, and Aviators Oxygen comes from Jet
    Engines. They just call this stuff oxygen, it is not really O2.

If you go to a dive shop, they will always have the right stuff, as they have
    taken hundreds of hours of training in Tom Mount's swimming pool, and know just
    what flavor to get. Be careful with Balooon Helium, as it tends to make your
    tanks float , and welders oxyegn will make them "weld" the valve on.

Aslo, get a helium lock for your tank valves so your helium will not escape
    overnight, leaving you with nitrox, which happens all of the time. This is why
    you hear of so many accidents - you must dive them right away if you have no
    helium lock, but roll them around for about six hours to get them mixed, or they
    will stratify just before all of the helium escapes.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by Garibaldi  View Original Post

Helium, as is comes from balloons, or the Mango-Flavored Oxygen, that comes from
    Mangoes. Medical Oxygen comes from Hospitals, and Aviators Oxygen comes from Jet

helium lock, but roll them around for about six hours to get them mixed, or they

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garibaldi  View Original Post

I got into diving post GI3 presence but man do I wish he was still around and active! I love reading his posts, his rants and his point of view. Its entertaining and usually dead on but with a hard slant!!

Im not saying I agree with everything he said...but I love reading it.

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

Best not to use second O2 though; you'll need to get a second hand O2 checker and make sure you're the first to use it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast