+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Industrial Oxygen - to medical grade

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Industrial Oxygen - to medical grade

Hi guys ... a bit of background first. The local (Oz) dive industry is about to be faced with the main gas companies stopping supply to dive shops of pure medical O2. In their view dealing with such small volumes of medical O2 is just not worth the risk, time or effort for them.

Soooo what do I do ??? ... to use a membrane system to produce pure O2 is just a nightmare both practically and economically. The only other option I can see available is the use of Industrial O2 - which is not an option for a commercial dive shop.

This then leads to the point of the email .... can I and how would I filter Indust O2 to a Med O2 level ???

Any suggestions ???

regards Baz

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Re: Industrial Oxygen - to medical grade

The only differences between low grade industrial O2 and medical O2 is the paperwork involved in the tracking/accouting (paper trail) of medical O2.

Medical O2 is not a better grade of O2!
    Both are guaranteed to be 99.5% pure O2, and as long as the tank hasn't recently had a valve change performed, are usually much purer.

If you want to do your lungs a favour use only technical O2 which is speced to 99.95 % purity, which means that it can only have 1/10 of the impurities permitted for medical O2.

Michael

RBW Member Lee Stroke is an unknown quantity at this point Lee Stroke's Avatar
    Revo

I am sure it is different down under; but here in the US medical oxygen is not as pure as some industrial grades due to the human can tolerate more contaminates than some industrial uses. So here you just buy the industrial grade and you can get an analysis of what it is and how many 9s you want to pay for.Usually I just buy the ultra-pure.It all arrives at the dealer as liquid and is mainly how many times they vacuum the cylinder for grade.

New Member Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza has a spectacular aura about Bazza's Avatar
    Inspo Classic, JJ-CCR

Mk15.5, rEvo, Vision, Kiss,

Nice reply but nothing to do with the question !

Correct O2 is O2 is O2 BUT - always that but, Medical grade O2 has the cylinder vacuumed to -1 bar before the O2 is added. This is to remove any residual impurities in the cylinder which can be reflected in the gas quality.

As a dive shop I cannot retail a non breathing gas as a breathing gas - I would be torn to pieces in a court of law - Hence the question how can I make Indust. O2 in a acceptable breathing gas.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Rumour has it that AL and BOC may soon be releasing a dive/breathing mix, Bazza.

I'm happy using industrial but I understand your concerns doing the same commercially.

Another option is to pay an offshore engineering company a small fee to make you a "springwater purification engine". Takes industrial O2 in, puts life support O2 out, ironically to exactly the same spec of purity etc but with a bit of paper that promises its effectiveness in lots of big words. So long as you never open that box to look at the bit of pipe that runs from one side to the other, you can claim in court that you've met your duty of care...

RBW Member manni-yunk is an unknown quantity at this point manni-yunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza  View Original Post
    Nice reply but nothing to do with the question !

Correct O2 is O2 is O2 BUT - always that but, Medical grade O2 has the cylinder vacuumed to -1 bar before the O2 is added. This is to remove any residual impurities in the cylinder which can be reflected in the gas quality.

As a dive shop I cannot retail a non breathing gas as a breathing gas - I would be torn to pieces in a court of law - Hence the question how can I make Indust. O2 in a acceptable breathing gas.

Im sure its different in the the US...but I always assumed that Medical grade was vacuumed and industrial was not.....My gas supplier told me that here the Medical and industrial are 100% identical. Both are vacuumed the same way and both are pulled from the same source tank at the suppler. In fact he stated that the vacuum is equally as important for the industrial as it is for the medical due to their use. He stated that the lot number and serial number that are added to medical are the only difference between the two....

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza  View Original Post
    Hi guys ... a bit of background first. The local (Oz) dive industry is about to be faced with the main gas companies stopping supply to dive shops of pure medical O2. In their view dealing with such small volumes of medical O2 is just not worth the risk, time or effort for them.

Soooo what do I do ??? ... to use a membrane system to produce pure O2 is just a nightmare both practically and economically. The only other option I can see available is the use of Industrial O2 - which is not an option for a commercial dive shop.

This then leads to the point of the email .... can I and how would I filter Indust O2 to a Med O2 level ???

Any suggestions ???

regards Baz
    Boost it through a filter, analylise it as it comes out. Test for hydrocarbons or any other nasties as you would for a pure air cert. Keep a record, charge accordingly.

Or find another gas supplier.

RBW Member paule is an unknown quantity at this point paule's Avatar
    Vision

BOC in Ireland supply diving grade 99.5% o2. See link. http://www.boconlineshop.com/shop/en...grade-cylinder
    It was around for a few years before it became common knowledge. Your local BOC may have it as well or can get it for you. Worth a ring? Hope this helps.

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

Do you have "Aviator's grade" in Australia? If so that would cover the "fit for human breathing gas" problem. I would think they would not be abandoning the aviation market as well.

Here in the US some gas suppliers policy is that you have to have a prescription from a physician to buy medical grade. It is treated like it is a drug. It takes some talking to get around that. It's easier to get aviation grade. For some reason they don't ask me for my pilot's license.

RBW Member cb1 is an unknown quantity at this point cb1's Avatar
    rEvo iii

Quote Originally Posted by paule  View Original Post
    BOC in Ireland supply diving grade 99.5% o2. See link. http://www.boconlineshop.com/shop/en...grade-cylinder
    It was around for a few years before it became common knowledge. Your local BOC may have it as well or can get it for you. Worth a ring? Hope this helps.
    Indeed they do but with the cost per cylinder approximately 4 times that of medical i.e. approx €84 or so and the monthly rental being twice that of medical O2 its pricey.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast