+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: din valve converion

RBW Member markdol2 is an unknown quantity at this point markdol2's Avatar
    hammerhead extreeme

din valve converion

Want to know if anyone has had a machinist turn down 7/8 inch din valve to fit the old 1/2 national pipe straight thread on the old steel 72 cu tanks. can this be done safely? Is there enough material on the bigger valves to do this?

RBW Member Pat O'Brien is an unknown quantity at this point Pat O'Brien's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

Re: din valve converion

Should be, only one way to find out...

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

depends on the material, some stuff work hardens badly.

Plus getting it chucked up might be interesting.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pack  View Original Post
    depends on the material, some stuff work hardens badly.

Plus getting it chucked up might be interesting.
    Typically chrome on nickel on copper triple plate over a brass body. Which begs the question of whether you really want to expose bare brass to the ocean like that.

Regardless, I looked at doing one for a mate and ended up refusing anyway. Chucking was going to be too much fun, getting the taper angle right and the threads perpendicular to the axis rather than the taper was going to need a much fancier machine than mine (or better skills, either way). "Yeah, it turns in and holds" might be fine for torches etc but at these pressures you really want the thread to be spot on.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

yes, you'd need a taper attachment, or you work it out with math. Either way works.

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

yes i have done it \(or should i say my machine shop ) i had a oms convertible done last year they made a jig as the chucking was very hard

hammerhead extreeme

Quote Originally Posted by udtabn  View Original Post
    yes i have done it \(or should i say my machine shop ) i had a oms convertible done last year they made a jig as the chucking was very hard
    Yes i have seen the lathe jig too. NPS is a straight not a pipe taper there is an oring .didint know the uniformity of thickness of the casting past the dip tube. old reliable steel 72s would be ok for BO tanks.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Get a life, dude. I use steel 72s for bailout, but wouldn't touch one of the old 1/2" tapers. I buy a few 3/4" neck LP72s each year at the flea market and I usually pay less than $50. You're going to pay more than that to have the machining done. And if you have old 7/8 300 bar DIN valves lying around, they are easy to sell.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

hammerhead extreeme

Good lord , i never said it was a taper. NPS means national pipe straight, even the metric folks know that. ken if i can find din steel 72s i will throw the whole lot away!

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Mark, you know the tanks are not DIN or yoke. It's the valve. There are tons of LP72s out there with 3/4 necks that you can throw any standard DIN or pro valve on. You can buy used DIN valves by the dozen at the flea market or eBay. And I guarantee you can pick up a few old 72s at the flea market........ if you beat me to them.

The only reason to hang on to that 1/2" neck tank is as a collector's item or conversation piece. They also make nice wind chimes if you cut them in pieces.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast