+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Oxidation on smb connectors

RBW Member sluca is an unknown quantity at this point sluca's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Oxidation on smb connectors

Hi. Sorry if this has been discussed earlier. Could not find any thread talking about this in detail. I am starting to develop some oxidation around the SMB connectors. I want to clean it up properly and keep it checked to see if it is just a built-up or there is some deeper issues with the connectors. All works well, except some black stuff forming around the connectors.

What do you use to clean this up? I live in Africa I have no access to Deoxit (assuming it would be the right product). I think I can get something from CRC from South Africa, but what should it be exactly? Would something like this do:

http://www.mantech.co.za/datasheets/products/KC2000.pdf

I guess the issue is the residue that the cleaner leaves on the sensors, and whether it is O2 compatible. Although at least in theory the connectors are not in a high O2 environment because they sit outside of the loop, no?

Thanks for tips.

LC
    Last edited by sluca; 13th July 2016 at 14:26.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Oxidation on smb connectors

I've used a bunch of stuff on mine because I was too lazy or too tight to go out and buy de-oxit.

Now I have de-oxit and can say: find a way to get your hands on it. Make a friend in a country that has it and have them send it to you somehow.

Get the red to clean and the gold to prevent it from coming back.

Doesn't stop the root cause of the issue: SMB connectors ain't waterproof, they allow pressurised super humid air to get squeezed up into them and condense, and they trap the condensate. I've just replaced all my connectors. again. I'm lucky enough to have a N@90 5 cell holder so it's easy to pop the holder out and disconnect the connectors after each day's diving, so they have a chance to dry out and spend their stored life without a current running through them to promote corrosion. Which is what I'm going to try this time around, see if I can't get a longer run out of the connectors.

RBW Member Bryan T is an unknown quantity at this point Bryan T's Avatar

"so they have a chance to dry out and spend their stored life without a current running through them to promote corrosion."

Thats an excellent point!! I knew that but never really thought of it.

B

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Of course you have to weigh that against the other side:
    - an extra PITA step during breakdown and assembly, especially if you have the original AP cell mount and fat fingers.
    - SMB connectors aren't designed for continual connect/break cycling. This approach will no doubt shorten the life of the connectors considerably with fingers breaking off.

Still. I'm now using a gland sealed SMB connector from Radiall and potting the back of the beast with a polyurethane potting compound which should, hopefully, keep the copper clean. And they're cheap and easy enough to replace every couple of years if required, especially if I don't have to go chasing black death up the cables each time.

WEB MERMEN wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang's Avatar
    Inspo-Meg-PosMkVI-CCRDolphin

Prism,rEVO,Mk15.5,KISS,Hmblds

As Capt S mentioned there are a few of us trailing new ways to stop or limit the oxidation and consequential breakdown of the SMB connectors.

We see three elements contributing to the bad connections.
    1. Wire rot - where the shield and sometime the core go black and brittle
    2. The connector go black with an oxidation
    3. Mechanical breakage of the "fingers" both for the outside and inside connections.

As well as the gland and potted SMB connectors I am also going to be using a small patch lead in between to use as sacrificial. (T-pieces at the moment until I have made up the patch leads - a bit like the Narked@90 converter leads)

As some on the forums have speculated, there might be some leakage from the back of the cells which, along with the humid hot environment leads to faster oxidation.

We'll let you know how we get on over time.
    Wiz

RBW Member AQUANOMAD is an unknown quantity at this point AQUANOMAD's Avatar
    rEvo FT

Inspiration, Evolution

ugh. Black death. Just had this happen to me with molex on my rEvo. Cell 2 was going nuts and I noticed black corrosion on the wire. Had to trim it back and not much lead left anymore. Red wire still slightly black when I stripped and crimped it. Getting a steady reading but looks like a service will be due soon. Definitely going to start pulling my cells post dive and coating the crimps. BTW. I use red and gold deoxit. Works great. And connectors stay clean. The bad wire must have been compromised before.
    Last edited by AQUANOMAD; 15th July 2016 at 00:39.

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by AQUANOMAD  View Original Post
    ugh. Black death. Just had this happen to me with molex on my rEvo. Cell 2 was going nuts and I noticed black corrosion on the wire. Had to trim it back and not much lead left anymore. Red wire still slightly black when I stripped and crimped it. Getting a steady reading but looks like a service will be due soon. Definitely going to start pulling my cells post dive and coating the crimps. BTW. I use red and gold deoxit. Works great. And connectors stay clean. The bad wire must have been compromised before.
    Not necessarily. Deoxit helps where it's at, but high pressure humid air will work moisture up between the wire and the insulator in the cables unless it's sealed - impossible to do with molex connectors, very difficult to get right with smb too because if the pressure/depth is high enough, moisture will wick up between the centre pin and the insulator around it and work along the wire that way.

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

Hi, do you use Deoxit on SMB connectors on wire side only or on cell side too? Using N@90 cells noticed some black on cells SMB connector.

Poslano z mojega SM-J500FN z uporabo Tapatalk

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

I don't use it on the wire side. I replace the wire (or go back to clean), install a new connector on it and pot the back of the connector. Using the gland style SMB connectors means that water shouldn't be able to get under the shield either as the body is sealed to the outer sheath.

I put the de-oxit on the cell and the mating part of the connector only.

RBW Member Pieterdecoene is an unknown quantity at this point Pieterdecoene's Avatar
    rEvoIII

Quote Originally Posted by AQUANOMAD  View Original Post
    ugh. Black death. Just had this happen to me with molex on my rEvo. Cell 2 was going nuts and I noticed black corrosion on the wire. .....

cell 2 on the controller? I assume former analog controller, not recent with divecan?

because for years already we use coated wires and soldered to molex connector, so no reason to loose connection?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast