+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mozambique update

RBW Member Jon Wright is an unknown quantity at this point Jon Wright's Avatar
    Inspiration Classic, Evolution

Mozambique update

After 10 years in Southern Mozambique I am now based in the North of the country at Nuarro Eco Lodge just north of Nacala. It's fairly remote and a stunning place S14.12.181 E40.40.638. The continental shelf comes very close to shore here, our little bay is 360 meters deep in the middle and we have near vertical wall to +-200m in places. I have 2 APD units here (Inspo and Evo), cylinders, boost pump sorb etc. Helium is a bit of an issue as it has to come from South Africa (as does sorb but thats easier to send), it is possible though (I have 1 tube here now for personal use and am sorting out logistics to get more) August/September is humpback whale season and I am looking forward to being in the water with them in good viz, in the south our winter viz is often crappy, here its 15m on a bad day and 30+ often (the other day I could see the RIB from 60m!) The walls and reefs are stunning, shore diving is easy, walk in from the dive centre to the house reef and follow it out to the drop off if you like! We night dive regularly and have blue lights/filters for ''flo diving''. There are a couple of wrecks out on Baixo Pinda, which is about 40 mins by boat, less of a drop off but current swept and better for pelagics.
    Drop me a line if you are interested in diving in Mozambique!
    Cheers.
    Jon

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Re: Mozambique update

Hi Jon, sounds like exceptional diving. What are the water temps during the year? How far away is the nearest international airport? Thanks, -Andy

The nearest airport is Nacala, a 2 hour drive. Currently it is not international but it is new and planned to become international, we just don't know when! Nampula is a 4 hour drive and has direct daily flights to Johannesburg. We can organise road transfers (and boat transfers from Nacala which takes about an hour)
    We also have a good airstrip and can arrange charter flights in light aircraft (up to 12 pax) from Nampula and Nacala.
    Jon
    More information is available at nuarro.com

Forgot water temps.
    Peak sumer (February) 29C peak winter (August) 23C
    Lodge is closed early Jan to end of Feb due to Northerlies and general poor weather/rain.
    Jon

+ Reply to Thread