+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: JJ/SF2/MEG/Liberty. Which has the most potential?

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Red face Re: JJ/SF2/MEG/Liberty. Which has the most potential?

Quote Originally Posted by Bea  View Original Post
    Hi Simon,

before talking about the teaching step, the first one is certainly getting comfortable on a unit and doing all the experience you can do in different environments and situations (as well as with OC). All the units you have listed have their pro and contro and are certainly reliable, moreover you will always have time to change unit whenever you want. (personally, I think it's also a good thing for an instructor to have experience on different units). Trying different units is certainly a good thing to do to have a "first taste" but, especially since it would be your first one, it won't really show you what unit would works best for you.

I'm personally using a Sentinel and had no problem at all in caves and wrecks but I've been diving also on the inspiration and the Liberty and I'm one who travels a lot. Therefore all I'm going to write is based on my own experience and needs, some things will certainly be attributable to other units as well.

Personally I would choose a unit

- on which you can find a reliable instructor (with a lot of experience in different situations on that unit, in your case maybe even caves) that can help you going trough this transition at 360° (which is not always so easy to find);

- with a reliable "timing" assistance: Divesoft and VMS are both really quick and easy to relate with; Divesoft has also open a new branch in Florida. Moreover both units will allow you to send their parts singularly in case they need to be fixed;

- "easy" to travel with: with the new red head you can use a normal hold luggage, removing the electronics it gives an ‘in box’ weight of just 27kg, with the box weighing 5kg. The Liberty can be disassembled as well and you can, again, use a normal hold luggage; (ALWAYS bring spare parts with you :D)

From the unit features point of view, I would just highlight a few things for now (there are just so many!):

- BM counterlung (The Sentinel got it, Liberty's are on their way, Inspo/evo got them now... for example), since you are more free on the front side and it will be "more similar" to your equipment in OC, making the "passage" easier;

- a HUD system easy and quick to understand (for example: the Sentinel one is basically color based and not code based, it's big but does not bother you during the dive and you can see it really really well);

- a low WOB in every positions: in this case I personally choose the Sentinel, but even the Liberty got a really low WOB;

- a good predive sequence: The sentinel won't allow you to skip any fundamental check, the inspo got a good one too, the liberty got a list so you must be really honest and focused in doing it;

- Redundancy redundancy redundancy!

As I've said before... Those are some tips from my personal experience and point of view, it doesn't mean that they are perfect :) I hope they can help you!

My 2 cents!
    Well said !!!

RBW Member AlexB is an unknown quantity at this point AlexB's Avatar
    APECS 2.7a

Re: JJ/SF2/MEG/Liberty. Which has the most potential?

I agree with Bea regarding the fact that first you have to answer to yourself what is the type of diving you wanna use your unit for.

I'm went for the Meg Apecs 2.7a for several reasons:

1. Bullet proof construction of the unit and the fact that it has proven itself for years and is being produced in one factory (electronics etc.)

2. Availability of the unit and spares (almost everything on the Meg beginning with the back plate and manual adds is standard gear and can be replaced quickly).

3. Easy to travel with. I have a cave can and it fits into my cabin luggage (can with scrubber and head, CLs, breathing loop and 1st stages). So I always have an eye on my unit when flying and no need to buy extra luggage on most trips.

4. Open structure construction. You can put any cylinder on the unit and even use off board cylinders when needed with minimal adjustments.

5. It just works. WOB, the electronics everything just works.

But as the others said, most units are good and at the end it's a matter of personal preference. :)

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

Quote Originally Posted by dunny  View Original Post
    I would say that if your plan is to teach on the unit then in the UK at least I would say the Inspo/JJ/rEvo are the most common. With the Inspo being by far the most common, if it where me I would want to pick the unit with the biggest pool of divers if I wanted to make a living from diving.
    On that perspective, shouldn't an prospective instructor rather look for the units on which students are getting certified more often?
    Unlike market shares of rebreather models which are difficult to get, i think the certifications trends should be easy to get from agencies, no?

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Simon223  View Original Post
    Possible eCCR's are JJ / SF2 (Sidemount or Backmount) / Liberty / MEG/ Sentinel read head.

What would you go for if you wanna have potential for teaching? I am right now located in switzerland but probably we will switch in other country as well.

I tested the sentinel and liberty and for them i liked more liberty... JJ and sf2 comes to test. And MEG i search to test. But for MEG i guess there is less support here in Switzerland. And as well i dont know a good Instructor. Can anybody help?
    It greatly depends what you like/dislike.

Personally I wouldn't touch a Meg (or clone) with a Sh*tty stick, terrible design IMO.
    SF2/Liberty are new/unknown, not what you want for a first CCR.
    Sentinel Red head might be the dogs danglies... but the Sentinel is a bag of total crap, in fact same goes for anything Gurr had a finger in, avoid like mad.
    Safest bet for now is a JJ, its basically an Inspiration with all the upgrades, mods and iffy bits replaced and upgraded.

Get something, dive it and form your own opinions- personally I would want to teach on the best unit that's going to keep your students alive the longest and avoid the maximum of hassle.

Your CCR is important to your life, unless you get to pull one apart and evaluate all the parts before buying I would avoid it as it will contain mysteries.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Nicool  View Original Post
    On that perspective, shouldn't an prospective instructor rather look for the units on which students are getting certified more often?
    Unlike market shares of rebreather models which are difficult to get, i think the certifications trends should be easy to get from agencies, no?
    If you want to make money- yes.

If you want to make good, safe, long lived divers- No.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2