+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a unit...

Choosing a unit...

I am trying to decide on what unit to get trained on and am having alot of issue!

I was quite set on the KISS Sidekick pCCR, and had almost booked training but a friend of mine has made me hesitant again.

I expect to end up in Florida/Mexico within the next year or two, doing deeper cave diving. Wrecks don't have much of a pull for me right now, but 100m+ caves really do.

A sidemount unit would be nice, but if it just doesn't make practical sense, i am ok with and comfortable in backmount.

Budget isn't too much an issue, if something is out of budget than i will just wait.

Thanks!
    Last edited by UnknownAwaits; 11th July 2016 at 04:00.

RBW Member wwjk is an unknown quantity at this point wwjk's Avatar
    SF2

Re: Choosing a unit...

SF-2, no doubt.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Nice to meet you on RBW.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Have a look at the Proteus from Dive Systems. Nice unit to dive and very easy to reconfigure back and forth between side and back mount.

Quote Originally Posted by wwjk  View Original Post
    SF-2, no doubt.

Any reason for the SF2 over the Sidekick?

What i cannot figure out is with the counterlung in the bottom of the tube, why does the SF2 not have the same issues(to the same extent anyway it seems) as the sidekick with WOB?

The SF2 is a bit bigger, although being able to be backmounted is definitely a plus... But if the CL is placed inside the housing, as it is with the Sidekick(even though in a different position), what makes it so different from the Sidekick? or could i just throw the sidekick on my back too?

Thanks for the reply!

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownAwaits  View Original Post
    I am trying to decide on what unit to get trained on and am having alot of issue!

I was quite set on the KISS Sidekick pCCR, and had almost booked training but a friend of mine has made me hesitant again.

I expect to end up in Florida/Mexico within the next year or two, doing deeper cave diving. Wrecks don't have much of a pull for me right now, but 100m+ caves really do.

A sidemount unit would be nice, but if it just doesn't make practical sense, i am ok with and comfortable in backmount.

Budget isn't too much an issue, if something is out of budget than i will just wait.

Thanks!
    Where are you located now?

Best regards,
    Chett. L

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    Where are you located now?

Best regards,
    South America. Not from here, but working here.

RBW Member P-A is an unknown quantity at this point P-A's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownAwaits  View Original Post

Thanks!
    Take a look at the Pelagian DCCCR (www.rebreatherlab.com). It's a manual machine without depth limits using a needle valve configuration. You can also order it with an Expedition scrubber IF you want to do extreme cave dives. Standard scrubber gives you 6 hours so it will do for most of us but it might be an option for you.
    It comes both with FMCL or BMCL which both have their pros and cons.

RBW Member wwjk is an unknown quantity at this point wwjk's Avatar
    SF2

Sidekick backmounted doesn't work, the SF2 can be used back- or sidemounted (you need about 10min for the change). It's a eCCR, you can drive it mCCR, the Sidekick is mCCR or SCR only.
    The SF2 has just one counterlung, the sidekick in- and exhale, hard to compare. Just try it!

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Using an SF2 as a sidemount rebreather just means that you have restricted yourself to diving only on a horizontal position, in any other position the WOB is bad enough to kill you within a few minutes. If you don't believe me, try diving it head down vertical in a swimming pool for 10 minutes, make sure to have an OC buddy with the long hose in his hand in the water with you.

Other sidemount RBs were designed for sidemount and work well at what they were designed for.

Michael

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast