+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Evolution failed selt test.

RBW Member bl6394 is an unknown quantity at this point bl6394's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Re: Evolution failed selt test.

Quote Originally Posted by moose_grunt  View Original Post
    Just curious what that repair bill is going to cost. I've got an 07 lid, so if this is an age-based problem...

I'm also curious how you ended up with cracks around the solenoid, if it passed the last test. Too much leverage on the O2 supply hose to the head?

Jim
    Regarding repair pricing - the prices were provided confidentially - and as such I can't share that information. However, if you search for threads on this board using search terms like "2006 solenoid cracks" - you'll see the experiences others have had - with repairs sometimes exceeding $1150. I was given several options (LID only, HUS Lid, Lid plus other upgrades.) My least expensive option considerably exceeded the cost you will see in similar threads about 2006 lids with cracks around their solenoid. I was also told that for any of the HUS lids - there is a 14-15 week backlog. Adding to the 6 weeks it's taken to get here - I'll be looking at being down for 20 weeks... If you have a 2007 lid that develops cracks - you'll have my sympathy.

I don't have any explanation of the present state of my lid... Since receiving it after purchase in April - it was subject to about 20 hours of diving. I'm gentle with my gear and careful about the way it is handled. I wonder if the 2006 lids have a mfg defect or if using the Tek Frame places undue stress upon the lid; however, I only can speak for my circumstances - I'm not sure how many other people with 2006 lids have had problems. I can share that this was the second lid that I considered purchasing. A 2008 lid was offered under the condition of passing lid service, and it failed with cracks when SD inspected it. This was my second choice.

Regarding APD and SD's handling of a defect in a 10 year old piece of gear, I expected no special consideration - and my expectations were not exceeded. When you buy used gear - you take your chances. I lost this time.

Contrasting this experience with others - I'd point out that company's like Light Monkey consistently exceeds expectations. They turn repairs around extremely fast - and on occasion offer their customers consideration beyond what they are legally entitled under the warranty. That's why I'm fiercely loyal to their brand - and would in fact pay a premium for their products. In this case - not so much.

RBW Member bl6394 is an unknown quantity at this point bl6394's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Re: Evolution failed selt test.

I've ordered a non HUS lid and Vision 2020. I was told that would be an additional six weeks, on top of the six weeks it's already taken. (Sent the unit to SD around June 29.)

Had wanted to upgrade to the HUS - since I'm already replacing the lid, but was told the HUS upgrade is now unavailable - indefinitely. Talked to APD in the UK - and they confirmed problems with their suppliers. They don't know when - or if - the HUS will be offered again. APD has taken the HUS Upgrade off their website - and when I asked why they were still advertising it for new units - they acknowledged that eventually they would have to remove that option as well. Protecting their last bit of supply for new customers I suppose.

Anyway, it is what it is. Looking forward to eventually getting my lid back and diving again. I feel like lately I've been doing more posting about diving than actually diving.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2