+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Where did all the homebuilders go?

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Re: Where did all the homebuilders go?

Juergensen Marine is the only source I know for electronic controllers for homebuilt eCCRs. I'd be happy to know there are more manufacturers out there that supply eCCR controllers to homebuilders. Shearwater is a good solution for an eCCR secondary or mCCR primary.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by cys  View Original Post
    Juergensen Marine is the only source I know for electronic controllers for homebuilt eCCRs. I'd be happy to know there are more manufacturers out there that supply eCCR controllers to homebuilders. Shearwater is a good solution for an eCCR secondary or mCCR primary.
    AV-UWT.com sell HUDs, computers with 3 cell monitoring and full controllers to anyone. Whilst there's no doubt what a nice machine Shearwater put out, the AV1 is a pretty tidy bit of kit. I look at mates' Petrels and honestly don't feel like I'm missing out at all.

RBW Member urq is an unknown quantity at this point urq's Avatar
    Carleton Cobra & Drager Dolphi

Inspiration

I do not see a group on facebook called "CCR Homebuilders"?

RBW Member JohnnyC is an unknown quantity at this point JohnnyC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by urq  View Original Post
    Look up "CCR CustomBuilders"

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by urq  View Original Post
    Try 'Ccr custombuilders'. (If this doesn't violate forum etiquette)

And to all the rest, great to hear from you again. Disconcerting to think you all died off diving those uncertifed death boxes you dreamed up.

If you post more here, I for one wouldn't be offended. (Facebook makes it hard to visit posts from a few years ago and I like discussion threads)

Carry on!
    Cameron

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

A true homebiulders builds their own, at home. Many people have done it, one could rightly argue that the majority of CCR manufacturers are just grown up homebuilders (with the exception of AP Valves, Posiedon and Oceanic)
    Certainly Jetsam, JJ and even Shearwater started (IIRC) as home builds.

There are plenty of individuals who've built their own ECCR controller, certainly the last place on earth I'd go for electronics is juergensen...

Dive different. cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys has much to be proud of cys's Avatar
    MK15.5, MK15, LARV

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    A true homebiulders builds their own, at home. Many people have done it, one could rightly argue that the majority of CCR manufacturers are just grown up homebuilders (with the exception of AP Valves, Posiedon and Oceanic)
    Certainly Jetsam, JJ and even Shearwater started (IIRC) as home builds.

There are plenty of individuals who've built their own ECCR controller, certainly the last place on earth I'd go for electronics is juergensen...
    My point was only that there are not many options for those homebuilders who don't want to delve into the electronics side of things but still want to "homebuild" an eCCR.

I would say there are a few people who have built eCCR controllers, and even fewer people who have built eCCR controllers that also integrate decompression calculations. Many people have built ppO2 monitors.

None of the three manufacturers you mentioned started as true eCCR homebuilds by your definition, but I don't think it matters. I think true homebuilding is a state of mind.

I've caught up now with all the threads I didn't read before on the AV1, and it's clearly had a litany of teething pains. I'd still consider getting one though. Personally, I think we should cherish those manufacturers that support homebuilding.

Last edited by cys; 8th October 2016 at 18:44.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

None of the three manufacturers you mentioned started as true eCCR homebuilds by your definition, but I don't think it matters. I think true homebuilding is a state of mind.
    I wasn't suggesting any of those 3 made eccr's, just that AFAIK they started as individuals home built projects that morphed into manufacturers. I know for sure Gordon and Kim never planned on starting a rebreather manufacturing company, the JJ started out as Jan's personally modified Inspiration (IIRC?) etc...

Even the Inspiration was Dave's home built which eventually he licensed to AP Valves to make (again IIRC) arguable not many of what we might consider mainstream manufacturers sat down and said lets spend £1million+ developing and testing a rebreather for sale to recreational divers! You'd need mental health advice if you did that

RBW Member Bottom Dollar Diver is an unknown quantity at this point Bottom Dollar Diver's Avatar
    Classic Inspiration

Diving, at least in the USA, is still relatively free of "scuba police." I have taken my modified Inspiration with homebrew electronic controller on dive boats without problems. People looked at it and said, "that's cool" and nobody raised a stink. I think it's a good idea to flash a RB certification card, for some type of RB, when you board the boat. It shows everyone that you have "training" and should blunt fears that you are a total nutcase.

So homebuilding is still possible!

Filling O2 tanks is probably the biggest problem for the homebuilder. You need to show a card, but any card should work. They don't think to ask if you are installing the tank in the same RB that matches the cert card!

Building an entire RB, including electronic controller, is a giant project. I doubt if very many original designs are being finished. It's better to concentrate on your area of interest and apply your ideas to an existing unit. In my case, the electronics was the main focus. Even when you narrow the focus, the project still takes lots of time. The big danger is loosing momentum and getting bored with your project before it ever gets in the water.

I recently resumed work on an improved controller for my Inspiration. It sat around for a couple of years before I got going on it again!

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I have a new and improved BOB to build but it will take time. My first one took me two years of thinking, designing, and saving up bits and bobs, before I ever started the actual build. I need everything in order before I start because i hate not being able to finish a project once i start it. Little things like lack of funds is usually my biggest issue.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast