+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Where did all the homebuilders go?

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Re: Where did all the homebuilders go?

How should I decide when it becomes a homebuild?
    reason why I'm asking is because I spent almost a year modifying an SF2 untill I got rid of most of the problems that were built into the unit, by adding and exchanging OEM parts with better working parts from tecme, GolemGear and IqSub among others.
    My Flex BOB is also a long way from "out of the box", and I'm still not done optimizing it.

Michael

RBW Member deepdave is an unknown quantity at this point deepdave's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    I'm still not done optimizing it.
    Love it. I use the same line with Mrs Dave when the packages arrive with bits for the bikes, cars and now RB. LoL.

DD

RBW Member pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs's Avatar
    Drager Ray

Homebuild deathtrap

I am still here. Currently sitting a solid state sensor based on red-eye spots.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Quote Originally Posted by pegcjs  View Original Post
    I am still here. Currently sitting a solid state sensor based on red-eye spots.

Intensely interested in the design once you hatch it!

RBW Member pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs's Avatar
    Drager Ray

Homebuild deathtrap

Will post when I have some news.... early days yet.

WEB MERMEN wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang has a spectacular aura about wizbang's Avatar
    Inspo-Meg-PosMkVI-CCRDolphin

Prism,rEVO,Mk15.5,KISS,Hmblds

Yep still around as well and still pottering with this or that for new things.
    This inter-webby thing was the boon to sharing ideas and giving encouragement.

As others above mentioned, though, it was also the place to poo pooed by the pc crowd.

There are still some of the younger generation looking to "make their own" for cost and because they can but the lure of cheap second hand units is hard to deny for ever.

I also like how homebuilders work on the fringe of things. Mods, additions, niche areas and making the mouse trap better.

I also like the supportive and encouraging nature of DIYers. Constructive criticism is key and negativity is just plain nonconstructive (and unwelcome).

Wiz
    Way-back-when

RBW Member Bottom Dollar Diver is an unknown quantity at this point Bottom Dollar Diver's Avatar
    Classic Inspiration

We should be living in the golden age of homebuilding right now with all the tools and equipment available to us but there's a problem: We have so much ready-to-go, instant gratification, plug-and-play, toys available that most people don't have incentive to roll their own.

Lots of people view a homebuilder as some kind of odd malcontent. The homebuilder seems almost stupid for not simply buying a good unit and signing up for training.

I come from a long line of do-it-yourself craftsmen. I do it myself for the satisfaction of really knowing how-it-works. Some people climb a mountain to prove themselves, I build something for that feeling of accomplishment.

I became a RB homebuilder when my Inspiration Classic electronics failed. I was determined to build my own controller rather than pay for repair. I did it and it worked. (See my posts from a few years ago ) It's so interesting to see the attitudes of other divers on the boat when they see a non-standard dive kit. That part is almost more fun than the actual diving!

RBW Member Semaj is an unknown quantity at this point Semaj's Avatar
    rEvo III RMS

Blessed are the home builders for they will inherit Davey Jones's locker.

BioPak60 Deathbox! rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds's Avatar
    BP-60, Revo Mod1

Still around, still pissed my revo doesn't breath as well as my BP60. Just on work hiatus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparedone  View Original Post
    Welcome!

I'm new to the community. As I'm working on a bp240 o2 build (thanks, you know who you are) and a ppo2 monitor I'm puzzled and curious where the home builder community went. I'm toxing on threads a decade old and searching the user names the majority I checked appeared to have gone silent around 2009.

To those of you still around, is there somewhere I can keep current on your tinkering? Alternatively, surely we didn't all off ourselves on bad gas?

Regards,
    Cameron

I hear the KISS, rEvo, JJ Home builds are doing well :D

Shame the Arora blue is taking its time ;)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast