+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Where did all the homebuilders go?

RBW Member yorkie_chris is an unknown quantity at this point yorkie_chris's Avatar

Re: Where did all the homebuilders go?

Quote Originally Posted by Bottom Dollar Diver  View Original Post
    Filling O2 tanks is probably the biggest problem for the homebuilder.
    My welding gas supplier never whinged a bit so long as the bill is paid on time.

As long as I use at least 2 O2 fills a month then it's cheaper than dive shop prices.

RBW Member pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs will become famous soon enough pegcjs's Avatar
    Drager Ray

Homebuild deathtrap

Quote Originally Posted by cys  View Original Post
    Juergensen Marine is the only source I know for electronic controllers for homebuilt eCCRs. I'd be happy to know there are more manufacturers out there that supply eCCR controllers to homebuilders. Shearwater is a good solution for an eCCR secondary or mCCR primary.
    Hmm - if you just want a setpoint controller, and not a dive computer too, is not that though to build your own eccr... I've never done it but that's because I got as far as a manual CCR and monitor and found I liked it....

RBW Member Bottom Dollar Diver is an unknown quantity at this point Bottom Dollar Diver's Avatar
    Classic Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by pegcjs  View Original Post
    Hmm - if you just want a setpoint controller, and not a dive computer too, is not that though to build your own eccr... I've never done it but that's because I got as far as a manual CCR and monitor and found I liked it....
    It seems simple at first glance to build a set-point controller. But the set-point controller is a closed-loop servo and therefore suffers from all the pitfalls of any automatic control system. Words such as: gain, resonant frequency, dampening, overshoot, negative feedback, oscillation, phase shift and drift are all applicable to the "simple" set-point controller. The goal is to keep an accurate and steady O2 level even with variable breathing rates, depth, etc. This is professional engineer territory!

I'm not a professional engineer, but I pretend to be one sometimes...with variable success.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Bottom Dollar Diver  View Original Post
    This is professional engineer territory!

I'm not a professional engineer, but I pretend to be one sometimes...with variable success.
    I am a professional engineer, the only difference is I get paid (badly), no reason why a non-professional cannot build something as good/better.

There are no barriers in diving, legal or theoretical. The knowledge exists to be found and used, don't let stereotypes, agencies, ego's and especially instructors tell you otherwise.

Shearwater (for example) make a great computer- but they are not magicians, everything they know, you can know too. Everything the use; materials, machines, techniques and math you can find and use too... is it worth doing? That is up to you... Can it be done? YES.

Just remember, you might not be professional... but Professionals steered the Titanic into an Iceberg, flew Airliners into the ground and built an endless list of useless and crap things, being paid for something doesn't make you better at it.

RBW Member kaj crucq is an unknown quantity at this point kaj crucq's Avatar
    JJ-ccr

Even Bill gates started in a dark and muffy garage ;).

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    A true homebiulders builds their own, at home. Many people have done it, one could rightly argue that the majority of CCR manufacturers are just grown up homebuilders (with the exception of AP Valves, Posiedon and Oceanic)
    Certainly Jetsam, JJ and even Shearwater started (IIRC) as home builds.

There are plenty of individuals who've built their own ECCR controller, certainly the last place on earth I'd go for electronics is juergensen...

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

Im still here. Playing with rebreathers has fallen a bit to the background lately but I check the posts every few weeks. Sandy

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

[ATTuACH=CONFIG]42385[/ATTACH]20160906_084642.jpg
    Still working from my garage. Must be the 6th or 7th one of these Ive built. Lost track.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6