+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Where did all the homebuilders go?

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Question Where did all the homebuilders go?

Welcome!

I'm new to the community. As I'm working on a bp240 o2 build (thanks, you know who you are) and a ppo2 monitor I'm puzzled and curious where the home builder community went. I'm toxing on threads a decade old and searching the user names the majority I checked appeared to have gone silent around 2009.

To those of you still around, is there somewhere I can keep current on your tinkering? Alternatively, surely we didn't all off ourselves on bad gas?

Regards,
    Cameron

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Where did all the homebuilders go?

It's depressingly quiet here and on CCRx, but there are a few guys posting semi-regular updates on builds on the CCR Homebuilders' page on Facebook.

I kinda get the impression that the glory days of homebuilding and mods are gone though, modding seems to be "should I add a fourteenth cell to my rEvo?", "What colour cover should I buy for my Vision" and suchlike these days.

RBW Member Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy is a glorious beacon of light Chris Kennedy's Avatar
    GAF mccr,rEvoII

Dolphin,Pelagian

Quote Originally Posted by Sparedone  View Original Post
    Welcome!

I'm new to the community. As I'm working on a bp240 o2 build (thanks, you know who you are) and a ppo2 monitor I'm puzzled and curious where the home builder community went. I'm toxing on threads a decade old and searching the user names the majority I checked appeared to have gone silent around 2009.

To those of you still around, is there somewhere I can keep current on your tinkering? Alternatively, surely we didn't all off ourselves on bad gas?

Regards,
    Cameron
    We are alive and well not much traffic on RBW but they have a big Facebook page CCR Homebuilders

RBW Member Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P is just really nice Igor P's Avatar
    TR300c (mCCR)

Yup, you can find them on fb

Poslano z mojega SM-J500FN z uporabo Tapatalk

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Glad we aren't a dying breed, entirely....

See can't wait to see what I'm missing on the flip side!.

A bustle of life in the forum for posterity wouldn't hurt either! Let it not be said we ended the age innovation... even though I'm sitting here reinventing the wheel and so far it is square.

All the best!
    Cameron

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I am sure many are put off by the age of politicly correct divers

10 years ago if you posted a bout building a CCR out of an old coffie tin and some B&Q parts most would be saying Coooooolllll

Now there'd be all sort of "your going to die" rants

Most of the home builders I know / knew were super CCR divers with a proper understanding of how they worked and should be dived

ATB

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

I think that also less people are home building whole units now.
    I started out with a homebuild. And then went to commercial units. Now given the relatively low cost of inspo classics, a lot of us are starting with the known WOB/Loop of the classic and putting together replacement heads for them.
    Also there are a lot more reasonably priced PO2 monitoring systems about. Where in the old days we'd make up a PO2 monitor from scratch, now a lot of us will just connect up a shearwater, and the more adventurous will make up a HUD.
    (I still have a rocket tube and some Datel displays in the spares box if anyone wants to try making up an old school D5 or similar)
    Last edited by Simon A; 16th June 2016 at 10:52.

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

I think your spot on Si,
    It must be cheaper to by an old unit and mod it now days, especially with what plumb world, Mr plastics and B&Q's want for there "rebreather kits" now😂
    Regards
    Baz

Chris Miller undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o is a jewel in the rough undrh2o's Avatar
    Dolphin (Atlantis)

IDA-71

Quote Originally Posted by Simon A  View Original Post
    I think that also less people are home building whole units now.
    I started out with a homebuild. And then went to commercial units. Now given the relatively low cost of inspo classics, a lot of us are starting with the known WOB/Loop of the classic and putting together replacement heads for them.
    Also there are a lot more reasonably priced PO2 monitoring systems about. Where in the old days we'd make up a PO2 monitor from scratch, now a lot of us will just connect up a shearwater, and the more adventurous will make up a HUD.
    (I still have a rocket tube and some Datel displays in the spares box if anyone wants to try making up an old school D5 or similar)
    Areed - I started out with a Dolphin/Atlantis because it was $1200, now they are $400 a classic inspo is $2100 and a vision with trimix can be had for under $4K. Easier to tinker with something that works (MCCR, Shearwater, BMCL) and go diving rather than start from scratch. Unless it's a TP2000 O2 rig

RBW Member PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG's Avatar
    Meg

Fenzy PO68 Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post
    I am sure many are put off by the age of politicly correct divers

10 years ago if you posted a bout building a CCR out of an old coffie tin and some B&Q parts most would be saying Coooooolllll

Now there'd be all sort of "your going to die" rants

Most of the home builders I know / knew were super CCR divers with a proper understanding of how they worked and should be dived

ATB
    I am not allowed to give Mark more green. :-(

The scariest ccr diver I have been out with recently dives the latest auto bailout auto everything unit. He thinks it normal to be auto bailed to the BOV. Does not bother to have his off board BO handy and dives his on board to empty. I think he is wrong on the fundamentals. His total belief in the technology and it's ability to save him is in my mind misplaced.

The guys with their modded KISS classics or pumped up Dolphins and home builds in my experience know their rigs much better, are more prepared for issues, and don't expect a black box to do all their thinking.

I am more comfortable with the home built bunch than the "I bought the latest therefor best" bunch.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast