+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Back Up Lights for Cave Diving Course

RBW Member Larry0428 is on a distinguished road Larry0428 is on a distinguished road Larry0428's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Back Up Lights for Cave Diving Course

I wonder if I could tap the combined knowledge of those who cave dive. I am going to do a cave course and have a Halcyon Focus Primary light but wondered what would be a good choice for the two back up lights. Any thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Larry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States

Re: Back Up Lights for Cave Diving Course

Since you're in Australia some of the options available here may not be available there, unfortunately including my preferred light from securitying. This will depend on your instructor btw. Some mandate alkaline batteries for backup lights, this is IMHO an idiotic requirement stemming from NiMH unreliability. The other question is sidemount, backmount, or CCR? Reason here being you can generally get away with longer backup lights in backmount due to the harness locations. In sidemount or CCR you typically want to get them in pockets of some kind due to lack of real estate. Not a hard and fast rule, but it's good generalization.

Dive Rite BX1 is good, and convenient since it has a holder for 3xAAA and 18650 so you have a bit of versatility. It is twist on, so very reliable, very small and easy to stow in a pocket.

Big Blue AL450N is another one that I have that works well. Uses 3xAAA batteries and has the LED turned down so it burns for ~4 hours. Bright enough to get out of a cave with and I am happy with the one that I have. Basically the same as the BX1 without the 18650 option. Typically cheaper as well. Great for pocket stowing, but a bit too short for harness mounting imho.

Big Blue AL1100NP another very good option. Don't believe their burn times as they are about 2x what reality will give you on high, but it's a very good light and throws just as much light on high as your Halcyon Focus. Not quite as tight of a beam, but throws just as much light. Good as a backup primary, and perfect for harness or pocket mounting.

Hog Morph lights are good, but way too expensive for what they are, don't spend more than about $100 for a backup light. Ano has some other options as well that are good, but most are 26650's and I am not a huge fan of that battery.

pike pikewashere is an unknown quantity at this point pikewashere's Avatar
    rEvo

I have two of these as back-ups.
    Highly highly recommended.

http://www.green-force.com/DiveTorch...d60018650.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

If you can put your hands on a Gralmarine K2 mini 6°. Very good price/quality ratio.
    www.gralmarine.com

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Tectite LS5 750 lumin 2.5 hours burn time

I never could see the point of trying to exit a cave with a candle. The LS5 is very bright and confidance inspireing when you need it.

ATB

RBW Member Larry0428 is on a distinguished road Larry0428 is on a distinguished road Larry0428's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

Thank you everyone for the great replies. More than a few options to research! Many thanks indeed.

Regards
    Larry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RBW Member cyberdiamond is an unknown quantity at this point cyberdiamond's Avatar
    Kiss OrcaSpirit LTE Sidewinder

Kiss Sidekick

Where in oz are you?

I have some great backup lights that I get from the manufacturer of the securitying lights that tbone1004 mentioned.
    They are really well built, not too expensive and I have been using them in the caves here for a few years now.
    Never had a single backup light let me down yet.
    Last edited by cyberdiamond; 9th June 2016 at 06:06.

+ Reply to Thread