+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Another HUD project

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Another HUD project

Thanks Kevin.

I did initially want to go down the road you're talking about: make a blank, take a silicone female mould and shoot into that. It's worked for me on other projects really, really well.

In this one I kinda got my head in the injection moulding headspace, I don't know how or why, and I've been chasing down the rabbit hole. Possibly the wrong one :)

One issue I saw with the silicone mould was supporting the core for the battery. I didn't trust a silicone insert to not move as the plastic was being injected and wanted something more rigid.

Still, thanks for the reminder: if I keep bashing into a brick wall with the approach I'm chasing now, I may still back pedal and give it a go with an RTV mould.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

All the laughs.

Turns out that pine is a load more forgiving than aluminium and that my CAM package is a lying tricksy jerk of a thing - ie I haven't learnt how to use it properly yet.

Things were going fine and all the simulations were working happily but, get it on the metal and "PING" goes one 2mm ballnose cutter after another.

My first foray into proper 3D billet milling so I kinda expected a few losses but the last couple of days have been utter tool carnage. Now waiting for the eBay fairies to deliver more (lots more) cutters so this project has stalled again for the next three weeks. Sigh.

Frustrating that I seem to hit these stumbling blocks every step of the way but, in fairness, the electronics went pretty smoothly and this machining stuff is all pretty new to me so it's been an excellent project for learning stuff about things :)

King of the Geeks
    heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude has a reputation beyond repute heyydude's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD!

Don't lose heart, Capt. I'm enjoying watching your progress.

When you've been doing something for so long, its easy to forget some of the early excitement at learning new things, the trial-and-error horrors, and the general internal drive to push on even though everything around you seems to catch fire...

Carry on the good work - tools are cheap these days - especially on ebay!

Kevin.

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

It's been an adventure, Kevin, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

I looked very briefly at purchasing new tooling here in Australia. Choked, and resigned to a three week wait for the eBay stuff. $22 on eBay for 10 pieces delivered vs $38 for a single "support local" piece which probably comes from China anyway PLUS shipping which would take at least a week from the east coast anyway. Crazy.

The setbacks I expect, all part of the learning. And I can point to each snapped cutter in my growing collection and describe the lesson it taught me. So that's all good. As you say, tooling's cheap these days, so that's good too.

What kills me is the delay. I want to keep moving along this road, not have to take a three week break every time something dumb happens!

:D

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

Instead of waiting 3 weeks.
    Take one of your broken mills and use a grinder to make your own.

Just grind both sides so you keep a flat with the wished profile.. In your case a ballnose .
    And if you used 2 mm for( soft) aluminium..
    Did u use petrolium ore other liquid to prevent filling your mills flunges with molten aluminium
    Mike

RBW Member mick4707 is an unknown quantity at this point mick4707's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

Capt. if you are breaking cutters you might need to increase the speed of the bit, slow the feed rate down and use lots and lots of coolant. When you are finished polish the mold and then polish some more and you will have a very professional looking HUD. Remember the surface finish on the mold is the surface finish on the part.

P.S. you have waayyyy to much time on your hands!

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Thanks Mike, Mick.

Using the same 20/80 mix of metho and water in a mist with occasional air blast as used by the Datron machines. No sign of galling on the edges of the remains of the cutter tips so I'm pretty sure the 24000RPM I'm running at is fine for the cutter size and lube.

With some cutters I'd give a regrind a go, I do sharpen all my own drills for example. But not a 2mm ball mill for finishing cuts - my grinder's too big and the wheels have rounded corners so I can't get in for a reliable back relief angle on one flute without taking out the cutting edge on the other one.

One of the cutters snapped because I didn't give enough offset on the retract plane, so a rapid just ploughed it through the back of the workpiece. You can see the gouge in the top surface in the back of the photo.

A couple died because I didn't square off the workpiece with a big cutter before starting the program, and didn't notice it had snuck in a couple of profiling cuts on those faces. So instead of going in at 0.15mm, it ploughed in at 1.2mm with full depth and predictable results.

Most of the others died because I'd set up to run 0.25mm radial DOC and 0.5mm axial max, but in a couple of places instead of sweeping in multiple hits or slowing down for a helical entry it just ploughed in with the full cutter width.

I'm trying some different style operations next time and will hopefully be able to get it to run at 300mm/min on the slotting or full engagement cuts but then speed up to 1200mm/s for the light engagement HSM stuff.

Like I said, lots of lessons learnt :)

And yes, too much time on my hands at the moment, a two year contract finished up a couple of months back and I want to get this done before I start chasing the next one!

Bob Sweeney bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi has a spectacular aura about bobmaggi's Avatar
    KISS Spirit LTE

KISS Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    All the laughs.

Turns out that pine is a load more forgiving than aluminium and that my CAM package is a lying tricksy jerk of a thing - ie I haven't learnt how to use it properly yet.

Things were going fine and all the simulations were working happily but, get it on the metal and "PING" goes one 2mm ballnose cutter after another.

My first foray into proper 3D billet milling so I kinda expected a few losses but the last couple of days have been utter tool carnage. Now waiting for the eBay fairies to deliver more (lots more) cutters so this project has stalled again for the next three weeks. Sigh.
    Check out GWizard software. It is very good for setting your feeds and speeds so you don't trash as many cutters. My failure rate came down considerably after I started using its recommendations.

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by bobmaggi  View Original Post
    Check out GWizard software. It is very good for setting your feeds and speeds so you don't trash as many cutters. My failure rate came down considerably after I started using its recommendations.
    I'm using a similar one, FSWizard. The problem wasn't the feeds and speeds calculator, it was me getting feeds and speeds for a certain depth and width of cut, telling my CAM package to limit itself to those depth and widths, seeing it behave through the simulation but not realising it was doing an occasional full width slotting cut for which the feed rate has to be dropped massively.

There's still a bit (ok, a lot) for me to learn about how to communicate to this CAM package what I want it to do. And that learning is apparently measured in a trail of broken carbide stumps.

RBW Member turtle dude is an unknown quantity at this point turtle dude's Avatar
    Inspo classic hacked about

Hi si,
    Have you thought about smd LED's?
    I had a boo boo with my Av1's HUD before I even had chance to fit it, and had to make a new one.
    Attached Images