+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Another HUD project

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Another HUD project

Cheers.

Last I checked it's drawing about 20A asleep and 5mA average awake at 0.7 or 1.3.

If a typical AAA has "800mAh capacity" and we assume that that's down to dead flat, so we can use 500mAh of it before the voltage drops, that gives us a sleep time of 25000 hours or about 2.8 years or 100h of continuous run time. Which, for a lot of us, is a battery change every year or two. I got it as low as I could without impacting on response time for the button etc. I figured I could spare a AAA battery once a year and it really wasn't worth fighting for more than that.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Wow, that seems really efficient. I'd have to recheck my figures but I think they were similar run times but using a 18650 ( 10 times the capacity).

I have recently added a wake up and check PPO mode for auto on for mine. Allows for auto on with out wet contacts.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

I think SiLabs used to be, or bought out, energyMicro which is where these Geckos have come from. And they've lived up to their name, I think. They are insanely energy efficient if you learn to program around the obstacle course of which peripherals run in which sleep modes etc. As a sign of just how obsessed they are about low power: their development kit lets you run the thing up and see how much current each line of code is consuming. Crazy.

That 20A could be gotten down to somewhere around (IIRC) 800nA if I only woke up and checked for the button press once a second. I had one config running for which an AAA battery's live would be longer than mine as far as the circuit was concerned :) But then there's internal impedance etc to consider so I'll probably win.

When it's running the LEDs are hugely dominant in the power consumption stakes. I've cut them back to 10mA during normal operation and 20mA for the "alarm" states and they only flash for 10mS - long enough to see but very low power consumption.

My first prototype will be cabled through to the head for the programmer so I can continue to tune and tweak the firmware as I use it, in case there are brightness issues etc.

But yes, very very gentle on the battery.

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    Wake up and check PPO mode for auto on for mine. Allows for auto on with out wet contacts.
    That's a great idea, smart use of the available inputs. I like it, and if the capsense thing doesn't end up working reliably for immersion, I'm gonna steal it :)

RBW Member dunny is an unknown quantity at this point dunny's Avatar
    JJ

Sometimes I think I'm an intelligent person, then I see stuff like this and it reminds me that I'm not.

RBW Member Doomanic is an unknown quantity at this point Doomanic's Avatar
    FrankenClassic (Done. Mostly)

Quote Originally Posted by dunny  View Original Post
    Sometimes I think I'm an intelligent person, then I see stuff like this and it reminds me that I'm not.
    Yep. I'm currently sat in the corner with a Dunce's cap on...

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Boys, it's like anything else. If it's what you do day in, day out for work, you get good at convincing other people you know what you're talking about ;)

Whether you do or not, well, that's another story innit!

RBW Member Doomanic is an unknown quantity at this point Doomanic's Avatar
    FrankenClassic (Done. Mostly)

Are you planning to sell the HUD, or is it a just because I can project?

RBW Member Mike_Eitel is an unknown quantity at this point Mike_Eitel's Avatar
    MeCCRxWi

MeRAY, MeTravox,MeCCRV"x,Inspi

Nice job
    Have you considert the idea to dim in dark conditions? If you use transparent plastic sensor could be on pcb...

Congrats anyhow
    Mike

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic  View Original Post
    Are you planning to sell the HUD, or is it a just because I can project?
    It's a "see how it goes" project. If I can get it working really, really well for myself I'll look at getting it out there. Somehow, not sure yet. There's an interesting liability minefield I'd have to negotiate and possibly patent issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Eitel  View Original Post
    Nice job
    Have you considert the idea to dim in dark conditions? If you use transparent plastic sensor could be on pcb...

Congrats anyhow
    Mike
    Thanks Mike. I did think about it but, in the end, decided this fell into the "feature creep" side of things. My old SW didn't have it and I didn't really get bothered by its light levels, and it would mean firing up PWMs ie more timers and stuff which use more power. Presently I'm relying on the selection between multiple output current limiters offered by the Gecko GPIO pins which makes two levels easy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 ... LastLast