+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fascinating lecture on Decompression by Dr. Simon Mitchell

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Fascinating lecture on Decompression by Dr. Simon Mitchell

Someone popped up a link somewhere to his Decompression Theory Controversy lecture recently and I somehow lost a day watching one of his lectures after another.

Some lecturers obviously know their stuff but either put you to sleep or flat out fail to convey the message. Simon isn't one of those people. He is easy to listen to, makes effective use of the slides and paces and pitches the delivery in a way the gets the message across in an enjoyable way.

I wish I'd had a few like him back in my Uni days, would have made it a lot easier!

I recommend hunting down his stuff on youtube to anyone who has a spare half hour or hour on their hands. Interesting, valuable stuff.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

Thanks if finding this and sharing it!!!

I head Simon deliver this live in Miami at the tek conference and it was amazing!!!

M

RBW Member Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol is just really nice Wol's Avatar

Great video - makes me think that maybe the VR 3 algorithm was the right way to go after all????

Ie using the Pyle the stops which add less extra deep time but maybe just enough????

Be good to run this through your heat map software for comparison??

RBW Member david hack is an unknown quantity at this point david hack's Avatar
    rEvo II

At the end of the presentation Simon refers to his paper "Recreational technical diving part 2: decompression from deep technical dives." Anyone knows where to find this?
    I can only find a abstract on a medical site.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

A really good summation of the protracted arguments of a year or so ago

It will be interesting to see how deco and diving progress now. I had altered from 20/80 type GF profiles through 30/90 prior to this debate but since the data has been available I have moved slowly to what I am doing now which is 60/80GF

So far so good and I have reduced my overall deco from the old 20/80 days. Despite being much older and far less fit (read much fatter) than I was 15 years ago when I started running 20/80, I still seem to be OK for dives 180min to 240min max run time mainly in the 50-70m zone with a few deeper to max 100m

ATB

Quote Originally Posted by david hack  View Original Post
    At the end of the presentation Simon refers to his paper "Recreational technical diving part 2: decompression from deep technical dives." Anyone knows where to find this?
    I can only find a abstract on a medical site.
    https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&sourc...Fo3h0bj9z_sG4Q

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

What a great presentation. Thank you.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member westy is an unknown quantity at this point westy's Avatar
    Vision Evolution

Really good information, clearly presented and very interesting (for a diver!)

Was thinking about getting the VPM-B unlock code for my Shearwater... not anymore

I wonder if this evidence will make the likes of AP and other manufacturers shipping rebreathers with ZHL-16 installed re-evaluate their "out of the box" Gradient Factors?

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

I see why you would make this remark and I don't disagree. But rather than putting it on the manufacturers. How about making note of all the training agencies that produce decompression class information and never require their instructors to explain decompression algorithms to the extent that a diver can choose for themselves.

Even better, how about requiring all decompression instructors passing the minimum requirement of having to understand these concepts and theories so they can teach them thoroughly. Everyone knows this is not a requirement and that is truly an abomination. This is why we have so many diver's literally lost on how to choose or if they have chosen, they do so based on a myth, rather than facts. This is also why we have so many instructors teach anecdotle information instead of the facts...they simply don't know and haven't been required to learn.

In fairness, some learn on their own and exceed these standards, but it's rare. In my experience, most students dive an algorithm and especially a conservatism based on the same verbiage they so often quote to me... "that's what instructor told me to use, but I don't understand why". The reason for this is MOST instructors have no idea and they have never been required to know and yet they call themselves decompression instructors...its a bit ironic. I sincerely don't blame them, i blame the industry and training agencies that allow it to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by westy  View Original Post
    Really good information, clearly presented and very interesting (for a diver!)

Was thinking about getting the VPM-B unlock code for my Shearwater... not anymore

I wonder if this evidence will make the likes of AP and other manufacturers shipping rebreathers with ZHL-16 installed re-evaluate their "out of the box" Gradient Factors?

RBW Member deepdave is an unknown quantity at this point deepdave's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

He's done quite a few lectures which are available on YouTube. He's a very engaging speaker.

I generally listen to them on the train on the way to work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast