+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: eliminating the can light?

RBW Member oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya's Avatar
    Meg Apecs

KISS Classic

Re: eliminating the can light?

Quote Originally Posted by jale  View Original Post
    Well, a lot of stuff you (all of us) have is made in China and not everything is crap.
    It is not about the origin of production but about the seriousness of the quality control.
    While I'm not saying everything made in china is crap (though most of it is for a variety of reasons that aren't the point of this thread) the point that I meant to raise about it was that on the rare occasions I've had issues with any DR gear I've either called or stopped by Lake City and spoken to someone I know.

They've either taken care of the problem on the spot or fixed it through the post. Usually for very little if any money.

I like supporting companies like that and feel the product is good enough that I'd be using it even if they were heartless douchebags.

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States

so you're willing to pay 2x the price, for a third of the brightness, in a similar form factor but with less burn time? The big blue I linked has 50% more burn time at the same light output as the LX20, has the potential for 3x the total light output on high, and is less than half the price of the Dive Rite. I love the Hires' I really do, they're great people, but no matter how good their service is, or the fact that their light does happen to be made in the US, you can't ignore the fact that it is more than twice the cost for a lower performance product. It's a sad but simple fact. I own a LOT of Dive Rite gear, including some of their lights, and their BX1 backup light is brilliant, but the LX20 is just not worth the amount of money they are charging for it because it doesn't throw enough light to be worth that much.

I support UW Light Dude 100%, they offer the only properly engineered primary canister light on the market, that is a simple fact. Unfortunately he is not able to get the specifications that he wants out of the battery packs to make a handheld like so he is focusing on the canisters. Battery tech is almost there, but it's not there yet. Proof is that he uses 5x18650's in his battery packs, but uses the smaller versions around 2900mah to keep the biggest canister legal for air travel. With 20% more battery, he is able to get 100%+ more burn time than the LX20 at the same output level. It's almost there but the handheld market isn't big enough for him to invest in a dedicated battery pack *why the LX20 uses individual 18650's. Good solution, but comes at a massive cost in packing efficiency. That's why the sola's are so small*

If I had to buy one that was brighter than a backup, I'd get a pair of Sola 1200 spots over the LX20. Smaller, lighter, brighter, and a pair of them is cheaper than the LX20. With that you can do 2 good sized dives a day. It's a wider beam at 12* instead of 8*, but that's not the end of the world
    Last edited by tbone1004; 2nd June 2016 at 00:05.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by manni-yunk  View Original Post
    Ive had (3) Holls 25w lights. All repaired/replaced over and over again. I ultimately gave it away for free because it was a POS...

That being said - when it did work, it was my favorite light. Beam degree, brightness, battery size and run time...all perfect for a can light and what I wanted. I just gave up on the reliability and will never buy another hollis item again.
    my same feelings and experience with the light
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Cognitive surrender TopLeft is an unknown quantity at this point TopLeft's Avatar
    Evolution+

Evolution

Interesting points by all. I've been using my (don't laugh!) SCULA 25w for several years. A little heavy but worth the trade off. Stoked to hear the rumor about UWLD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

30 years ago we all had hand helds and the "canister" torches were massive and horable things.

Then we got compact Nimh canister torches and we all thaught it was a reveraltion.

I still remember my Custom DIvers 50W halogin with its 60min burn time as being a OMG step up in my diveing enjoyment

I own some good hand helds, I have a Barbolight R09 tri lED which is prety epic and a Variable Beam MB Sub VB which is super bright & can be turned into a lazer beem, but id never use them as primary lights by choice.

RBW Member tbone1004 is an unknown quantity at this point tbone1004's Avatar
    Greenville, South Carolina, United States

what rumour? it's a question that gets asked but there are no plans to implement a handheld light at this time due to sizing restrictions. You can verify with Bobby, but I'm not aware of any even long term plans to design one until there is a major change in battery or light efficiency. The other hard part is the cost of UN qualification for a new battery pack. There's a reason the three canister sizes use one battery pack stacked up either 1, 2, or 3 high. It costs about $5k to design a new battery pack these days. That's why DR is using individual 18650's, too expensive to design a pack that can be sold to consumers.

RBW Member Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry's Avatar
    rEvo,Vision,KISS,Poseidon

Quote Originally Posted by oya  View Original Post
    Also made in china disposable crap.
    Really not that much brighter. (And how much light does one really need. I mean, I'm actually not that scared of the dark.)
    As opposed to a made by a family company in Florida who has always given top notch customer.
    Having been part of the BigBlue diving lights development team, I can tell you are completely misinformed when it comes to the quality of the products.
    BigBlue has been on the cutting edge of the cordless diving light development for years.
    The owner of the company is committed to quality and development of his products.
    The goal of the company as been and will always be to bring to market the best quality diving lights at the best possible price.

I am a distributor(Switzerland) for BigBlue diving lights. I will never go with another brand other then BigBlue as they are simply the best cordless with the largest consumer product range.

Your comment about "China disposable Crap" is unwarranted and just plain ignorant!

RBW Member AQUANOMAD is an unknown quantity at this point AQUANOMAD's Avatar
    rEvo FT

Inspiration, Evolution

What I would like to see is the L&M Sola and Stella lights have a can option to get the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

RBW Member partsi is an unknown quantity at this point partsi's Avatar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2