+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How did you start diving solo?

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: How did you start diving solo?

Quote Originally Posted by Baron015  View Original Post
    Started with CCR. I will not dive CCR with instabuddies or tagalongs. So when one of my small number of CCR buddies is not on the boat, I prefer to dive solo. I actually quite like it, I find it very calm and serene and peaceful, and I can spend ages looking at some boring little thing I find on the wreck without feeling I need to move along.

The only non-serene part is when a skipper says, are you two OK to buddy up ? And I have to reply, actually I would prefer to go in on my own if you don't mind.

Although I would dive with Mark Chase. He might not dive with me though !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LOL if the skipper said we had to buddy up and I got stuck with you, I'd breath a huge sigh of releife

Havent seen you for ages, hope we cross pathes later this year mate

ATB

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Interesting to hear that you can solo off a boat in foreign parts. Here it's a bit of a no-no.

As a skipper on our club's boat, I won't allow solo dives. Because I can never tell whether it's a planned solo dive by a competent self sufficient diver who's properly drilled and planned mitigation exercises or just some arrogant jerk who's going to dive on his own thinking he's too good for it to go wrong.

Not saying any of you guys are like that, by any means. But you never know.

And being the skipper it then falls on my shoulders if they do go missing. Where's the body? Why didn't he have a buddy? You had a duty of care and blah blah bend over there's a big spiky pineapple headed your way.

:edit: for those of us who do want to dive solo, there's a surprisingly high occurrence of a CCR diver going in a threesome with two OC buddies and getting lost mid dive. Or going in first and coming back with a buddy pair from the second wave of divers.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post

:edit: for those of us who do want to dive solo, there's a surprisingly high occurrence of a CCR diver going in a threesome with two OC buddies and getting lost mid dive. Or going in first and coming back with a buddy pair from the second wave of divers.

LOL , I like your solutions for small problems ;)

Sent by my rEvo scrubber using a shearwater Nerd

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD  View Original Post
    LOL , I like your solutions for small problems ;)
    Sent by my rEvo scrubber using a shearwater Nerd
    We always have someone aboard and the skipper dives, so divers tend to go in two waves. If a CCR diver wants serious time underwater I do try and pair them up with the first guys in, tell 'em to come back to the boat and then do a dive with the last guys.

It works out really, really well. The CCR guys get 4 hours underwater in a day out, enough for anyone on shallow reefs. And what tends to happen is that they remember the site from the first lap and point out all the good stuff on the second, so their buddies end up with a good dive too!

RBW Member exposure is an unknown quantity at this point exposure's Avatar
    APD Evolution+

Started when I got my Instructor rating during the first open water course I provided :) Is it safer to be solo or with a student that never breath underwater :) :) :)

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

once i started wanking, solo diving just seemed a natural progression ,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 1st June 2016 at 14:32.

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    We always have someone aboard and the skipper dives, so divers tend to go in two waves. If a CCR diver wants serious time underwater I do try and pair them up with the first guys in, tell 'em to come back to the boat and then do a dive with the last guys.

It works out really, really well. The CCR guys get 4 hours underwater in a day out, enough for anyone on shallow reefs. And what tends to happen is that they remember the site from the first lap and point out all the good stuff on the second, so their buddies end up with a good dive too!

been there, done that.

RBW Member germie is an unknown quantity at this point germie's Avatar
    Inspiration Vision

I was already diving solo on oc. I started solodiving oc because sometimes I had no buddy and I wanted to dive.
    On ccr it took not a long time before I started diving solo too. My instructor said: please do not dive directly solo on ccr (I did my course on his ccr). I promised him and I hold my word: the first dive I had a buddy, but on my second dive with my own ccr I did a solodive.
    I prefer with a buddy, but sometimes I cannot find one for a particular dive. Then don't do the dive? That is a pity. A month ago I arrived 1 day before the others in France for cavediving. I did then 2 ccr solocavedives (1 of 3 hours to 76m depth, over 1200m in a cave, the second was just a 40minutes dive to a max depth of 2.2m a really shallow cave).
    I take some extra bailout with me as I don't want to do the extra gasswitches needed in case of a oc bailout (the cave has a little bit a jojo-profile)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2