+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How did you start diving solo?

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

How did you start diving solo?

15 years ago, solo diving (OC) was viewed as the work of the devil. Now there's a cert for it, and some boats will take it and let you dive solo.

It seems like a lot of people are now diving CCR solo. I'm curious to hear how, and why, you started. I'm also interested to hear how you mitigate the (maybe perceived) risk that the best way out of a CO2 hit is an attendant buddy.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by moose_grunt; 30th May 2016 at 20:15. Reason: Fixed autocorrect's FUBAR reasoning

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Re: How did you start diving solo?

My concern wouldn't be a co2 hit, but all the other things that can happen.

Myself,I won't dive a ccr solo on a tech dive. That's just a higher risk than I'm willing to accept.

Non tech, maybe.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

I was doing a lot of midweek night diving in the river here where we were chasing king prawns. Vis in the river is crap, often so bad that the last time you see your buddy is when your head drops below the waterline.

Got into twins, just for some redundancy, that set me off down the tech road.

Along the way I did a solo theory and self certified as a self reliant instructor.

Got out of the river diving and usually had a buddy to dive with.

When the CCR diving started I had a few solo dives but when I started doing the proper risk management (identifying potential issues and preparing to deal with them) an awful lot of stories played out with an ending like "and they never found the body".

Mostly it's nervousness about being on my own on dives at dusk (the time I would struggle to find a buddy) in waters known to host large toothy things. And if that kind of stuff goes down I at least want someone to be able to get my body back for the family.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

no one gave a shit about solo diving 15 years back ,

if was only after some IT pulled a course out of his arse and called solo diving that other,s seemed to bother ,

now if he had called it noddy7 no one would give a shit still ,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 30th May 2016 at 09:49.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

I think it started with loosing buddies and ending up solo :D

Then it progressed to diving with muppits who made my dive a miserey or worse dangerous. So i chose to go solo instead

Then it progressed further to absolutly loving it.

I have never had a problem diveing solo off any UK boat

The dangers of solo diveing are a very personal perception.

I consider any dive with a buddy to be a reduction in my personal safety as my attention is split betwen the dive, my issues and my budys issues

My experiance in FUBAR situations with buddies has been very negative.

IMHO there are very few situations in the diveing I do where a buddy would be much help if it all went wrong. Most would leave me to it because the personal risk of assisting would be too much for them.

If i were shalow diveing with a very compitent buddy? then I feel they may decide to intervean but my experiance with long deep dives has been they stay well away or seem incapabul of rational decision makeing when it all goes wrong. Or if they do that "rational decision" is to save their own arse.

ATB
    Last edited by Mark Chase; 30th May 2016 at 09:44.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

It happened for me when I could not find buddies to go out on my boat. I finally just went solo and it progressed from there. It was a real ordeal to get out of the solo mentality when i began tech diving with buddies. I got my arse chewed out a couple of times and soon got my sh*t together with my buddies.

A couple of things to think about. Are you capable of self rescue? Are you capable of buddy rescue? you should always be self sufficient and never using a buddy as a crutch anyway. The rest of it just boils down to personal comfort level.

There are some dives that I insist upon being solo due to the safety factors involved and others when an extra set of hands or eyes will be a big help. The is no single answer for all dives.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Latvian Baron Baron015 is an unknown quantity at this point Baron015's Avatar
    Sentinel

How did you start diving solo?

Started with CCR. I will not dive CCR with instabuddies or tagalongs. So when one of my small number of CCR buddies is not on the boat, I prefer to dive solo. I actually quite like it, I find it very calm and serene and peaceful, and I can spend ages looking at some boring little thing I find on the wreck without feeling I need to move along.

The only non-serene part is when a skipper says, are you two OK to buddy up ? And I have to reply, actually I would prefer to go in on my own if you don't mind.

Although I would dive with Mark Chase. He might not dive with me though !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Baron015; 30th May 2016 at 13:36.

RBW Member jnowak100 is an unknown quantity at this point jnowak100's Avatar
    hollis prism 2

I often travel solo, so a random buddy can be good, bad or indifferent, even with a good buddy, you may often feel "alone". That said, I think a buddy is a very good idea for the comraderie, the back up brain, as well as dealing with problems below and above the surface (like pushing a stuck car). But sometimes, especially with tec diving, none is readily available. On a trip last year for 2 weeks with groups, between group 1 and group 2, I had 2 days free time, so on a lark I geared up and took a dive without a buddy off the house reef, awesome, peaceful, thrilling, so did another etc. On my most recent trip, solo again this time, doing shore dives, I would have had to pay for a guide, and the guide's gases, so solo diving was a fraction of the cost. So after a couple of check out dives, I was diving solo for the rest of the time, again, awesome, peaceful, thrilling, concerned only about myself, alone, but diving well within depth, time, gas limits, staying aware of situational risks, and very keen observance of entry/exit points. I stress the last sentence as diving solo is only for the experienced diver, eg those reading this post, with the usual personal gear, in comfortable conditions with keen situational awareness. It should not be the ocassion to push the limits nor try wholly new gear or dive sites.

RBW Member Nate Davey is an unknown quantity at this point Nate Davey's Avatar
    HH Classic

When I started diving a RB, i was the only one in the area. Having a Golem BOV, I could tell my random OC "dive buddy" to simply turn the lever if he or she, hopefully she, saw me acting oddly. I always considered those dives solo, even though I was paired with someone by the boat crew.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    There are some dives that I insist upon being solo due to the safety factors involved and others when an extra set of hands or eyes will be a big help. The is no single answer for all dives.
    Thats a very good point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast