+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting with a go pro

RBW Member divemedic85 is an unknown quantity at this point divemedic85's Avatar
    rEvo3 Mini

Wink Starting with a go pro

Who all had started with a go pro and what recommendations do you have for a basic setup.

RBW Member EDH is an unknown quantity at this point EDH's Avatar
    AP

Re: Starting with a go pro

Dive medic ,
    I have a Hero 3 , Octomask ( which holds a go pro )
    and a mid sized pelican case for all the extras like charging cord, batteries, filters , SD cards and a few mounts that I use on the boat ect.
    The mask takes a little to get used to , head swing . But a great way to show your depth from your computer . Go pro also has a housing for depths up to 500 ft !!
    EDH

RBW Member divemedic85 is an unknown quantity at this point divemedic85's Avatar
    rEvo3 Mini

Thanks for that, I am looking more for a mount and light setup for it though, to be used as a handheld. But the mask seems like it would be cool for just doing regular dives.

RBW Member broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher is on a distinguished road broncobowsher's Avatar
    TBD

Had a Hero 3 black. Did good. Handheld on a stick but a bit shaky. Wrist mount is generally more stable from what I have tried. This is just a camera, no added lighting.

The issue I had was battery life. So I got a cheap extended battery. Worked like a dream. I could get huge a couple hours of record time with the big battery on land. Took it diving, the cheap (non GoPro part) extended back door leaked and killed the camera in 30' of water. So I love the big battery, but hated loosing the camera from the discount back door.

I now have a Hero4. It has not been in the water yet. Need to get the real dive housing with a real extended back door after I get a new extended battery for it. I can only bleed so much money so fast.

In the mean time I have my old Hero2 that can't last half an hour on the original battery and has such poor low light performance that most every picture comes out blurry unless I really try to hold it real steady.

My personal favorite is to set the camera to a still every 5 seconds or so. With the better Heros you can set the stills and still record good video. Just make sure you get the biggest memory card you can into the camera. And probably an external hard drive to store all the images as well. GoPro is a great way at filling storage. I now have a 2 terabyte external HD just for the GoPro footage.

I will also admit I am still an armature at this stuff. Lots more to learn.

RBW Member dive955 is an unknown quantity at this point dive955's Avatar
    Optima SW

Are U kidding, more than one?

Here are two options. I currently use the Sola kit which includes 2 lights, tray and arm. Works very well and I have no complaints. Video -

Sola Kit - $800 or you can start with one light for $440
    http://www.lightandmotion.com/choose...ion-kit-double

Go-Be-$400 Kit

http://www.lightandmotion.com/choose...ion-camera-kit

rEvo3 Mini

That's what I'm looking for!!! Thanks!

RBW Member Sussan1980 is an unknown quantity at this point Sussan1980's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Wanted to add my two cents if that is okay, I don't use my GoPro diving but do use it when I snorkel and I found this mask to be great.

+ Reply to Thread