+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Soon to be rebreather diver/instructor

RBW Member exposure is an unknown quantity at this point exposure's Avatar
    APD Evolution+

Re: Soon to be rebreather diver/instructor

Welcome here. When I got my OW Certification, I was the best diver in the world. I survive the CESA. Then I realised that thing are not that simple and especially when moving on the Tec side with students. You need a lot of humility to progress and adjust the way your are doing things in any situation. I am still at the beginning of the rebreather process and my view about the 100 hours is a real minimum, maybe a "business one". Lots of people will get hurt with brand new instructors without experience in the CCR areas. Without talking about the worse, as a pro, you need to being able to provide the best service and that can only be done with experience, humility and so on.... not with rush.

Supporting Member tlocdiver is an unknown quantity at this point tlocdiver's Avatar
    Optima, KISS

I agree with Das. I was diving rebreather for 10years before becoming an instructor on one and had already been a cave and tech instructor.for many years. 400dives? Awesome but you should have that many on a rebreather before thinking of teaching one. That are great machines but can be very danger for the complacent and non experienced. Hell, even for the experienced. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Muddiver Muddiver is an unknown quantity at this point Muddiver's Avatar
    Poseidon Cis Lunar 7

Obviously you drank the PADI Cool Aid. The POSidon and the Hollis Prism 2 are designed for the recreational ( i.e. The cheap, let's have fun once a year) crowd. Recreational and technical just don't mix well. The Prism is a less expensive unit with a couple more perceived safety features, but none of that does you any good if you don't understand the very basic principles of what the parts are doing for you. I'm an engineer and even I know that my blind faith in the programming of my Poseidon CCR's computer is a dance with death. CCR are not forgiving like open circuit scuba. Find out why CCR divers die, study the accidents and think about how your training and the training you are going to provide accounts for the mistakes made in those incidents. Who cares if you pass away because YOU forgot to replace your scrubber, think of how your gonna feel when that sweet 20 something is dragged up after sucking on an expired scrubber. Like he said in the movie "it's your funeral, mate"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RBW Member Peg-leg is an unknown quantity at this point Peg-leg's Avatar
    none

Thanks everyone for the tips! Again, this is just something I am considering. I have no intention of being an instructor right out the gates. I know I seem gung-ho about the whole thing so some may have perceived my excitement as a childish misunderstanding.

Y'all must get an astoundingly large amount of posts about people who think they can zero to hero the whole thing. Sorry for getting your panties in a bunch, i should have been more precise in my verbiage.

I can't afford to do this without the GI bill (which i have no intention of using for anything else anyway)

A program cannot be approved for GI bill funds unless it results in a professional level certification, as in, will this get you a job?

ZERO intention of instructing till i have a firm grasp of tech diving, rebreather diving, etc

I just want to dive longer and deeper, this is a means to achieve such a goal.

How you did it, and how I'll do it, will be two vastly different experiences.

PADI has nothing to do with this and if another certifying agency offered such a program i would jump on it.

Hollis p2, from my understanding, is NOT a recreational rebreather and has full tech capabilities out of the box.

Everyones opinion matters.... to them

Thanks again, most of you have been very helpful.

RBW Member tripntx is an unknown quantity at this point tripntx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muddiver  View Original Post
    Obviously you drank the PADI Cool Aid. The POSidon and the Hollis Prism 2 are designed for the recreational ( i.e. The cheap, let's have fun once a year) crowd. Recreational and technical just don't mix well. The Prism is a less expensive unit with a couple more perceived safety features, but none of that does you any good if you don't understand the very basic principles of what the parts are doing for you. I'm an engineer and even I know that my blind faith in the programming of my Poseidon CCR's computer is a dance with death. CCR are not forgiving like open circuit scuba. Find out why CCR divers die, study the accidents and think about how your training and the training you are going to provide accounts for the mistakes made in those incidents. Who cares if you pass away because YOU forgot to replace your scrubber, think of how your gonna feel when that sweet 20 something is dragged up after sucking on an expired scrubber. Like he said in the movie "it's your funeral, mate"

I believe you have the Prism 2 (full fledged tech CCR) confused with the Explorer (recreational).

Muddiver Muddiver is an unknown quantity at this point Muddiver's Avatar
    Poseidon Cis Lunar 7

Soon to be rebreather diver/instructor

It appears that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Please ignore any statements about diving that I may make.

Last edited by Muddiver; 19th June 2016 at 08:20.

RBW Member tripntx is an unknown quantity at this point tripntx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muddiver  View Original Post
    No, the Poseidon and the Prism 2 are both Closed Circuit Rebreather (CCR). The Explorer is a semi-closed circuit rebreather. The Prism 2 is touted as being the equivalent of the Poseidon. The Explorer is not because it is limited by the Nitrox mix you put in it.

What about the Prism 2 makes it being the equivalent of a fully automated Poseidon?
    P2 is tri-mix mod 3 out the box.

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2 Instructor

Hollis Explorer Inst Trainer

OP, just make sure you get an instructor that slows you down to a crawl for a long time while you learn. Also, read and watch and learn from EVERY source you can get your hands on, then look for more. When you start to feel like you are realizing you missed some things you will be getting close to where you want to be.

Mud, you have received some bad information.

-Eric

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2