RBW Member Doomanic is an unknown quantity at this point Doomanic's Avatar
    FrankenClassic (Done. Mostly)

Buying your first CCR unit

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    ^^ this.

I reckon only valid and justifiable reason for owning a CCR is:

I want one!

The answer is "yes", by the way :)
    That's why I bought one. That and being drunk when the watched item reminder email came in from eBay...

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

Re: Buying your first CCR unit

Your treatise is well thought out, but as others say, the decision ultimately becomes emotionally driven more often than not.

Two other points you've not addressed:

For some folks, going CCR is a way rekindle your passion for diving. After decades, OC was getting boring. Nothing really new was being being produced despite what MFG were touting about the latest fin color changing your whole life. CCR is where true evolution and new ideas are churning and dukeing it out. Which bring us to:

Some folks might tend to keep a given model/ brand of rig and let it evolve as the model evolves. I bought my Meg in 2005. Much of it is still there, but it has evolved a lot. So have other models/ brands.

RBW Member MattC is an unknown quantity at this point MattC's Avatar
    Sentinel Redback

Re: Buying your first CCR unit

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    ^^ this.

I reckon only valid and justifiable reason for owning a CCR is:

I want one!
    Yep. That was my justification as well, although in my case complicated by the fact that my partner is also my dive buddy. Took about 8 months for her to come around :D

Her rule is that whatever I buy has to be in duplicate, which is a whole new level of pain for the wallet!

£18k (give or take) is a lot of money to drop on 2 units and training so my decision making was along the lines of:

1) we must both have the same unit;
    2) they need to be second hand; and
    3) because of #2, we need to be able to get them back to the manufacturer for a once over to give us the assurance that we were not buying pups.

That lead us to one manufacturer.

We were lucky enough to find 2 second hand units that we were prepared to take a punt on. Fortunately we ended up with the units that we would have chosen if we were buying new!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2