Thread: Improving Stage Bottle Trim with Evolution

RBW Member deepdave is an unknown quantity at this point deepdave's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Re: Improving Stage Bottle Trim with Evolution

RBW Member P-A is an unknown quantity at this point P-A's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

Quote Originally Posted by bl6394  View Original Post
    I'm new to diving an Evolution and would like to improve the streamlining and trim of the stage / bailout bottles I'm carrying. I've tried using the "Verti-clips" on the wing - and it's a little far back for my liking - but hip D-rings are a bit low - because of the weight pouch placement. Must be a better way to get streamlined.

What has worked well for getting nice trim with stage bottles? Are you using bungees to pull valves into the armpits? Sidemounting with that Fishtail accessory?

Curious to know what has worked well for other Evolution divers.

Thanks,

Bjorn
    I have all my stage bottles (2) on left side with clipp on shoulder d-ring and hip d-ring. If carrying a third I always but clip it. The stage has to be free to ride and adjust to the current flow and not to tight restricted. A firm rigging on the back clip will actually make it worse than a loose back clip for the hip.
    A common mistake is to use small stage bottles and always fill them up. It is a lot easier to get good placement and trim when using 80cfs filled to around 150-160 bar. This is extra important if you are diving with air, EAN 50 or higher. When using trimix the issue is not as big since the weight of the gas is so much lower.

RBW Member moose_grunt is an unknown quantity at this point moose_grunt's Avatar

I have a golem gear butt plate and homemade bungies that go from a hole in the edge of my backplate to the shoulder d-ring. Previous to putting my backplate on, I used the same setup with the AP harness. Just heat up a punch and make holes in the soft harness, then put grommets in.

The only problem I have with my setup is that the golem gear rails are low and center in the back compared to the DR tech plate. Getting to them is easy in the water, but it's difficult trying to clip into them when sitting on the boat bench (because the Evo box is so short). I can normally get one side, but need the mate to clip in the other. Not a huge deal to me, because I'm going to tip them anyways, might as well let them help me.

RBW Member bl6394 is an unknown quantity at this point bl6394's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Tried the Diverite Tech Butt plate and bungees - and it made a huge difference!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Bjorn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2