+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where Divers Dare, The Hunt for the Last U-Boat (Story of the U-550)

RBW Member Gl1tchie is an unknown quantity at this point Gl1tchie's Avatar
    JJ

Re: Where Divers Dare, The Hunt for the Last U-Boat (Story of the U-550)

Quote Originally Posted by hbm  View Original Post

My camera housing stayed intact but the large flat lens pushed in and cracked the camera lens inside. As I went down you can see it crack, it's pretty damn cool! Tube number 5 (Aft Starboard) is empty. My video however has a large black dot in the middle of the screen where it was crushed. Attempting to center my camera on the tube resulted in that portion of the screen being blacked out. On a subsequent trip Mark Nix confirmed the empty tube.
    Is there anywhere we can have a look at the footage?
    I enjoyed the book, would love to see some of the footage!

Dan

RBW Member atedeschi is an unknown quantity at this point atedeschi's Avatar
    Kiss Classic & Sidekick CCR

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

Currently footage is in our presentations eventually will post some to YouTube. Currently there is one next Saturday at the cave summit, there will be one nov 12th at the explorers club in NYC and most likely at beneath the sea, Boston sea rovers and other venues. We have a Facebook page with the latest info, pictures and events. If you saw the presentation from 2012 the new one has some of the same but also has new footage, inside the wreck footage and info on survivors of both sides of the battle.

Hammerhead CCR diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike has a reputation beyond repute diverklondike's Avatar
    HammerHead CCR

Sidekick & Others

[QUOTE=hbm;482592]
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD  View Original Post
    Although I finished reading the book (a great read by the way) a couple of months ago I only just discovered this thread, hence a question regards (what appears to be) a contradiction / disconnect towards the end of the book - page 277 to be exact, attached below. (And a belated congrats to the team on the discovery, and the author for a very captivating book weaving the historical past with the adventurous present.)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD  View Original Post

My camera housing stayed intact but the large flat lens pushed in and cracked the camera lens inside. As I went down you can see it crack, it's pretty damn cool! Tube number 5 (Aft Starboard) is empty. My video however has a large black dot in the middle of the screen where it was crushed. Attempting to center my camera on the tube resulted in that portion of the screen being blacked out. On a subsequent trip Mark Nix confirmed the empty tube.
    If I remember correctly there is a picture of of me inspecting the tube in the book.

RBW Member KevinD is an unknown quantity at this point KevinD's Avatar
    (No longer) west of Woodstock, south of Vietnam.
    Mk15.5

[QUOTE=diverklondike;482777]
    Quote Originally Posted by hbm  View Original Post
    If I remember correctly there is a picture of of me inspecting the tube in the book.
    Well, not exactly it seems. There is a photo of you inspecting "....the upper port torpedo tube...." which I assume being an 'upper tube' is a bow tube, and a photo of a bow tube with a decayed torp inside, but no pics of the aft area / empty tube.

There does seem to be one mislabeled image in the book though (?), which purports to show you inspecting the conning tower, which looks far more like the bow to me.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. Again, a great story and a great read!

Any Chicago (or surrounding area) presentations coming up?

I would love to see it!

By the way, congrats! I have followed the U-550 story for years, known some people that searched for it and was thrilled to see it discovered. I just finished reading the book last month. Incredible find! I was really happy that Brad was able to be one of the first on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2