+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where Divers Dare, The Hunt for the Last U-Boat (Story of the U-550)

RBW Member atedeschi is an unknown quantity at this point atedeschi's Avatar
    Kiss Classic & Sidekick CCR

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

Where Divers Dare, The Hunt for the Last U-Boat (Story of the U-550)

Just in case you where not aware the book: Where Divers Dare, The Hunt for the Last U-Boat, is now out on the shelves. It can be picked up at your local book store, online and hopefully your local dive shop.

This is the story of our groups successful search for the German Submarine the U-550, located off the Northeast Coast of the United States in over 100 meters of water. It's a great read detailing the battle in which the submarine and the tanker Pan Pennsylvania were sunk, our search for the wreck and subsequent dives, and meeting with some of the survivors and their family members from both sides of the conflict after the news of the discovery went international.

Please go check it out and if you do please make sure to leave reviews, questions or comments.
    Amazon: http://amzn.com/0425276368
    Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Divers-Dar...iews_limit=10&
    Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wher...=9780425276365

Thanks,
    The U-550 Discovery Team
    Attached Images

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: Where Divers Dare, The Hunt for the Last U-Boat (Story of the U-550)

Thanks for posting.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member Gl1tchie is an unknown quantity at this point Gl1tchie's Avatar
    JJ

Awesome looks like it is available on Kindle too.

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

Gee, I wonder when and where there might be a presentation and book signing somewhere in the area?
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

RBW Member atedeschi is an unknown quantity at this point atedeschi's Avatar
    Kiss Classic & Sidekick CCR

revo Hybrid, Golem Flex

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    Gee, I wonder when and where there might be a presentation and book signing somewhere in the area?
    Well since you asked...

Friday May 20th, 6:30 pm @ Diveseekers
    Wednesday August 17th, 7:00pm @ Westfield Memorial Library
    Please contact them to RSVP

We will do one in NYC, NY/CT area, LBI as well as some in South NJ. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to suggestions. Only thing is by mid June thru July we are offshore diving so no presentations. :)

Any word on when the sequel, Daring Divers Exposed is coming out?

RBW Member KevinD is an unknown quantity at this point KevinD's Avatar
    (No longer) west of Woodstock, south of Vietnam.
    Mk15.5

Although I finished reading the book (a great read by the way) a couple of months ago I only just discovered this thread, hence a question regards (what appears to be) a contradiction / disconnect towards the end of the book - page 277 to be exact, attached below. (And a belated congrats to the team on the discovery, and the author for a very captivating book weaving the historical past with the adventurous present.)

On that page the text states (and I have numbered the text in question accordingly in the attachment);

1 – Diver Moyers discovers that one of the aft tubes is open and there is no torp in the tube (and video’s same with a housed GoPro).

2 – When back on the boat Moyers reviews the GoPro video and confirms the above.

3 – However, in the very next paragraph the author states that the GoPro housing was crushed by the extreme pressure before it could give visual confirmation of the empty tube.

As can be seen, #3 directly contradicts #2 (and if #2 is correct it goes straight to the heart of one of the key questions, if not the key question, posed by the book; i.e. did Hanert actually get a torp off just before surfacing and hence ‘invite’ the very violent reaction he and his crew received upon surfacing).

Or is the way the author has written the text simply meant to imply that the divers aboard, on jointly reviewing Moyers footage, could not agree on what was on said footage (i.e. was there or was there not a torp in the tube) and the camera was then subsequently destroyed on the next dive and hence no more footage of the tube in question was obtained to confirm to the satisfaction of all aboard whether it was empty or not?

Or am I (or the books text) missing something here?

PS. Since another two NE dive seasons have passed since Moyers video dive, and one since the publication of the book, has it ever subsequently been ascertained if a stern tube is empty or not?

Attached Images
    Last edited by KevinD; 28th October 2016 at 12:11.

RBW Member hbm is on a distinguished road hbm is on a distinguished road hbm's Avatar
    Not yet

[QUOTE=KevinD;482589] Although I finished reading the book (a great read by the way) a couple of months ago I only just discovered this thread, hence a question regards (what appears to be) a contradiction / disconnect towards the end of the book - page 277 to be exact, attached below. (And a belated congrats to the team on the discovery, and the author for a very captivating book weaving the historical past with the adventurous present.)

My camera housing stayed intact but the large flat lens pushed in and cracked the camera lens inside. As I went down you can see it crack, it's pretty damn cool! Tube number 5 (Aft Starboard) is empty. My video however has a large black dot in the middle of the screen where it was crushed. Attempting to center my camera on the tube resulted in that portion of the screen being blacked out. On a subsequent trip Mark Nix confirmed the empty tube.

RBW Member KevinD is an unknown quantity at this point KevinD's Avatar
    (No longer) west of Woodstock, south of Vietnam.
    Mk15.5

Thanks for the clarification Harold, much appreciated for putting that event into perspective!

I guess we may never know for sure, but if I may ask what’s the consensus among the group now that your empty tube discovery was proven correct; that is did Hanet ‘letting one fly’ or could the torp have simply been dislodged when the DE rammed the sub aft and subsequently ‘slid out’ so to speak?
    Last edited by KevinD; 29th October 2016 at 11:57.

RBW Member hbm is on a distinguished road hbm is on a distinguished road hbm's Avatar
    Not yet

Thanks for the clarification Harold, much appreciated for putting that event into perspective!

I guess we may never know for sure, but if I may ask what’s the consensus among the group now that your empty tube discovery was proven correct; that is did Hanet ‘letting one fly’ or could the torp have simply been dislodged when the DE rammed the sub aft and subsequently ‘slid out’ so to speak?

Anybodies guess. The stern was rammed and the stern bustle was knocked off back to the area that would include the stern T doors. The 550 went down by the stern at a fairly sharp angle so I suppose the torpedo could have slid out, but the port side torpedo is still there. Hanert told interrogators he didn't fire a torpedo. He'd have motive to deny firing one. You wouldn't want to tell your enemy that a T5 "wonder weapon" doesn't work very well. As far as a consensus is concerned there isn't one, we are all just speculating.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast