+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PPO2 sensors for Dolphin

RBW Member dshield55 is an unknown quantity at this point dshield55's Avatar

PPO2 sensors for Dolphin

I'm brand new to rebreathers but I just got a dolphin and I'm doing training for it in June. Ahead of time, I wanted to figure out PPO2 sensors.

My goal is to not die, so I figured having a PPO2 sensor would help me to not die. At this point I have no idea where they hook into the system or how the sensor's work, but my gut feeling is that they're a good thing to do and they might help me not die. So I'm gung ho to buy one.

If I'm looking to buy one for the Dolphin, what do I need to know? Are there different types of O2 sensors? Can they all be made to work with a dolphin or are there only certain types that can connect up with the system. What are some good ones that are worth buying. I'm a bit of cheap skate, but my overall goal is to not die.

Thinker n Tinkerer Sparedone is an unknown quantity at this point Sparedone's Avatar
    PRISM Topaz

Bp240/bmr500, BG174

Re: PPO2 sensors for Dolphin

Having decided against the dolphin scr route towards ccr myself I don't have experience. However, a Google search 'dolphin ppo2' gives a handful of threads, mainly a decade ago in the dolphin heyday discussing and detailing the many options and some good photos showing placement.

The Drager Oxygauge PPO2 Monitor is a oem solution.

In the diy side of things you might like this. http://www.airheadsscuba.com/po2gauge.html

And now for the mandatory caution requesting you don't end up dead.

Regards,
    Cameron

RBW Member udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn is just really nice udtabn's Avatar
    prism,larv/tubx,leba54,dolphin

mk15,lar vII, ray

Quote Originally Posted by dshield55  View Original Post
    I'm brand new to rebreathers but I just got a dolphin and I'm doing training for it in June. Ahead of time, I wanted to figure out PPO2 sensors.

My goal is to not die, so I figured having a PPO2 sensor would help me to not die. At this point I have no idea where they hook into the system or how the sensor's work, but my gut feeling is that they're a good thing to do and they might help me not die. So I'm gung ho to buy one.

If I'm looking to buy one for the Dolphin, what do I need to know? Are there different types of O2 sensors? Can they all be made to work with a dolphin or are there only certain types that can connect up with the system. What are some good ones that are worth buying. I'm a bit of cheap skate, but my overall goal is to not die.

there are several ways to go with a dolphin pm and we can discuss them

RBW Member fibre is an unknown quantity at this point fibre's Avatar

I have a hard wired sensor in a p-port. It plugs straight into the inhale counter lung and works well with either my VR3 or Ext Petrel.

I also have the original wireless oxy2 and AirZ computer. That worked well, but there was a very large sensor package right by your left ear.

A friend had the Draeger oxygauage, but that was just a PPO2 gauge and wasn't capable of giving deompression information.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by udtabn  View Original Post
    there are several ways to go with a dolphin pm and we can discuss them
    Why not discuss on open forum, I'm interested too.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Steve Sprague 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster is a glorious beacon of light 4ster's Avatar
    rEvo

Dolphin

The Drager OxyGauge plugs directly into the inhale counter lung on a Dolphin. That is probably the easiest path. They are not made any more but they can be found. Talk to Utdban about his flooding fix, since they are flood prone. The other problem with the OxyGauge is that it takes a special cell that is a little more expensive and harder to find. It monitors one cell

The Oxy2 and AirZ was a good setup but the AirZ is no longer supported and a battery change on it is a bear. This system monitors 2 cells.

Or, roll your own:

Martin at TecMe offers a number of different cell housings that will work with the Dolphin. Research and choose if you want to go with a housing on the inhale hose like the Oxy2 or one that uses the P-port on the inhale counter lung like the OxyGauge. There are plusses and minuses to both mounting locations.

Then pick what you want to use to monitor your cell(s):

A) PPO2 only can be accomplished a bunch of ways from homebuilt to brand new. In your position, I think I would buy a used rEvo Dream since they are fairly plentiful because a lot of rEvo divers upgrade to another system after a while. I never bothered to upgrade my rEvo since I like the rEvo Dream system. It can monitor 1 or 2 cells.

B) Monitor PPO2 with an integrated computer. There are a number of them, I would choose a Shearwater, either used or new. It can monitor 1 or 3 cells and calculate nitrogen loading from cell data. If buying used, make sure that it has or is upgradable to SCR capability.

Finally, don't rush. Technically, the Dolphin can be dived without O2 monitoring if you follow procedure (and it tells you if it is not adding fresh gas since it will stop venting on exhale). The original Dolphin monitoring device was the OxyGauge, and Drager offered it as an extra option. Ask your instructor if he has something he can loan you during class. After class you will have a better idea how you want to proceed.

RBW Member haaginheimer is an unknown quantity at this point haaginheimer's Avatar
    KISS GEM (modified)

Dolphin, Prism 2, Poseidon

I run the single cell reader from Martin to my Shearwater - nice setup. The two and three cell work well but my issue was getting the cells in and out they had bent wires and caused some issues. Suggest going the single cell route unless you buy the hard mount from Martin at TecMe with 3 cells - if you want pictures shoot me a note. Love my Drager and Utabn was my awesome instructor.

Supporting Member Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy is on a distinguished road Sandy's Avatar
    Biomarine, IDA 71

Italian ARO

20150625_090521.jpg
    I have a p-port with tecme blank cell holder that has been around since way back that I can very readily let go. Pm me if you are interested. I love trades.
    Sandy

+ Reply to Thread