+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hypercapnia detection training?

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: Hypercapnia detection training?

ive experienced elevated co2 many times but not once did my elevated breathing rate draw my attention to it....

YMMV

ive `noticed` im having issues in different ways and my symptoms and experiences also differed often but generally speaking id say there was two main symptoms i experienced

most commonly for me progression is - increasing sense of doom, stress, nervousness and unease, darkening and tunnelling of vision, rising RMV going to huge RMV. all un-noticed before stress rises to point of feelings of near panic, mental battle starts. mental fight to keep calm, denial that anything is wrong, mental battle to fight back panic demons intensifies. now at this stage my RMV is through the roof and im a knats whisker away from bolting in panic. If Im really lucky its at this point i have mental strength to allow myself to accept that something is wrong and bail or flush.

point being (for me) its the feelings of stress and panic that alert me to co2 - never the RMV, YMMV

less commonly and maybe more dangerous is when elevated co2 just makes me feel lethargic, lazy, sleepy slowly becoming more and more mentally and physically incapacitated until i reach a point where self help is impossible.

very dangerous only happened maybe twice but i vividly recall knowing for sure i would die if i didnt flush or bail but just `couldnt be arsed` to raise my hand and do it...scary shit

so for me as far as co2 training is concerned i think the best tools and what kept me alive was during any dive are

1) to be continuously asking myself how i feel. same way as id check my ppo2 during a dive, i check how im feeling. if im not feeling happy - i ask myself why, if theres no real reason then i start to monitor closer whats happening in my head, check my rmv etc. ive been very surprised a few times when i was only just feeling a tad edgy yet after a bit of a loop flush i felt so much better i realised i was affected and it wasnt as mild as i though.

2) to have the mental strength to fight against what can be very powerful feelings of panic and refusal to accept anythings wrong

if you look at great explorers they come in many shapes and sizes but one thing they have in common is mental strength, power over their emotions when under stress

so to me best form of co2 training is develping ones mental strength, only way to really do that unfortunately is to experience and survive increasingly dangerous situations - chicken and egg! so....best to .build up experience/exposure to danger slowly so as to develop those skills
    Last edited by Drmike; 27th May 2016 at 01:42.

RBW Member Semaj is an unknown quantity at this point Semaj's Avatar
    rEvo III RMS

+1!!!

Whilst I have no where near the experience that Drmike has on CCR and have not had any Co2 issue in my little over three years and around 200+hrs on CCR.

During my previous 15 years on OC I experienced a number of elevated Co2 related issues, primarily brought on by exertion at depth whilst breathing air and experienced the progression as described by Drmike above, my solution then was to ascend, eventually get trained in using trimix which then led me down the path of CCR .

From my OC experience I have some confidence I could pick the onset of a Co2 issue hopefully before my breathing gets out of control and I can calmly bailout and ascend, I routinely monitor my breathing rate and mental state during a dive.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Semaj  View Original Post
    From my OC experience I have some confidence I could pick the onset of a Co2 issue hopefully before my breathing gets out of control and I can calmly bailout and ascend, I routinely monitor my breathing rate and mental state during a dive.
    Retaining CO2 on OC and rebreathing CO2 through a failed scrubber are actually pretty different in onset/magnitude. On OC you are still blowing off a portion of the CO2 with every escalating breath. With a failed scrubber the fCO2 in your lungs increases with every breath. So the runaway affect is in theory much faster.

RBW Member Semaj is an unknown quantity at this point Semaj's Avatar
    rEvo III RMS

Thanks Rjack, I appreciate that, a failed scrubber at depth is a pretty scary proposition.

Diving a rEvo with it's duel scrubbers and RMS, I like to think the possibility of a failed scrubber is somewhat reduced provided rEvo SOPs are adhered to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2