+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is there an IDA-71 conversion tutorial? Can somebody make one?

Re: Is there an IDA-71 conversion tutorial? Can somebody make one?

Hello Rebreather - Friends,

there are some people out there diving the unit. Even far beyond the limit it was made for. From my own experience I would say the unit itself is very reliable. But if someone asking for a guide, how to modify, I would give the advice to get in touch with some guys diving the units regular and learn from them.

This could become a very interesting thread for IDA71 divers...

Best regards, Stephan
    Attached Images

RBW Member Snusmumrik will become famous soon enough Snusmumrik will become famous soon enough Snusmumrik will become famous soon enough Snusmumrik's Avatar
    IDA-71(KISS Mod)

IDA-59 O2 Mod & KISS, IDA-72

Not a too much to say about, here was my conversion.
    IDA-71 KISS
    2kg scubber
    2 liter Oxygen onboard, original O2 stage-valve used.
    2 liter DIL onboard with external DIL connector, wing and drysuit connectors.
    DIY 3 oxygen cells holder
    AV-1 computer + HUD as primary
    DIY PPO2 meter for 2 cells as secondary
    DIY ~45lbs wing
    DIY plastic backplate
    DIY harness
    Dived up to 90 minutes and up to 39 meters deep w/air dil.
    Lokks like a bit complicated, but all things have its own use and place.
    Attached Images

Blinded with science... deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc has a spectacular aura about deepwrecksc's Avatar
    rEvo Micro FT

MK15.5, MK15

I'm mostly going to reinforce Ken's point of view here, but there is something worth saying in this thread (and maybe it should be plastered across the front page of RBW etc): "you get what you pay for". Words to live by in general, and it certainly holds true with rebreathers and other life support equipment. As others have said in this thread, you are GOING to pay for it one way or another: with time, effort, money, or all of the above. And that's fine - really. I'm actually a HUGE proponent of the DIY approach to rebreathers, with the caveat that you should NOT trust your life to anything you build or modify until you know EXACTLY what every single bolt, fitting, and flange does, why it is where it is, and why it is made from the material it is. In fact, if you take that philosophy to heart, you will probably be a safer rebreather diver for it.

My own journey is similar to what you are proposing: In ~2007 I finally decided to take the plunge and get serious about rebreather diving after decades of OC and years of research. Instead of buying something COTS, I decided I wanted a MK15. It was (and is) hard to find one in fully pristine and diveable condition, but I got lucky and found one that was close. It was a perfect solution: I'm a scientist and I love to tinker. You have no business with either homebuilding or modifying a "deprecated" rebreather like an IDA or a MK series unless you are willing and able to build a LOT of stuff from scratch or get very creative with sourcing, etc. In my case, I liked it so much I decided I wanted a MK15.5, so I built one from spare parts and fabricated components. It is awesome and I know every inch of that rig like it is a part of my body. Did I save any money? No way. Was it worth it? Every penny. I think I'm a far better diver for the time and effort spent learning and optimizing. I do understand your desire for a "conversion manual". I have no desire to start an argument or sound in any way "preachy", but consider this: if you need a tutorial to do the conversion, you probably aren't ready to do it yet.

In my case, eventually I decided there was something appealing about the idea of a COTS rebreather for which I never had to fabricate components or stress about dropping a sphere or cracking a center section. So, hence: rEvo.

One final piece of gentle advice to OP: please take it slow. People die when they don't (and sometimes even when they do). This stuff is awesome but it really can kill you very easily. I dove my rig with air diluent within NDL for over 6 years before I felt I was ready to proceed into mixed-gas.

Good luck to you and enjoy the journey!
    Lee

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

Dejavu. For those of us who started out with DIY conversions and home building, then moved to a production rebreather, how many of us ended up buying a rEvo? I did. I think you hinted the reason why. The rEvo is the rebreather I would love to have created for myself, but Paul had already done that (and I think he started with Dolphin and IDA conversions).

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by John Liddiard  View Original Post
    The rEvo is the rebreather I would love to have created for myself, but Paul had already done that (and I think he started with Dolphin and IDA conversions).
    IMO the important and operative word here is "started" Paul is a bright boy and like many saw that both the Dolphin and IDA series units can be made into recreational CCR's they are not and never can be ideal, no offense to the many users but they are comprimised by the initial design, you can overcome much of it but each increase is earned with increased cost, complexity and level of DIY fabrication... to the point where you before a manufacturer like Paul

I started with a Classic KISS, went right down the DIY route to first remove all the issues with the CK then to design a ground up unit that removed them completely.
    Then I had a moment of clarity- Did I want to build rebreathers or dive rebreathers?

What I wanted was to dive so I needed a working unit that worked how I wanted but with off-the-shelf level of reliability. I decided the way to achieve that was to leverage the deluge of second hand parts and 3rd party spares and accesories to (as someone said earlier) LEGO myself a unit, so I have Classic Inspiration plumbing and scrubber, 3rd party blank head, shearwater PPO2 monitor, N@90 sensors and wiring, 3rd party Needle Valve, Alibox, Kent Tooling stainless and I used my own skillset to make a BMCL system because it dovetailed with my work.
    The end result is a DIY but off-the-shelf yet unique unit that does everything I want but with spares available online... if someone made something this good I'd have bought it! (However it llikely would have cost more than the 1200quid I spent)

Lastly- I'm all for online guides and detailing how to modify information in this community because I wouldn't have got to where I am today without it but I do have some agreement with the school of thought that if you cannot work out what to do OR how to do it someone shouldn't be showing you the other half... the result of gettingthis wrong can be fatal and there is no way of checking someones OC diving creditials if they even have some, when giving out advice.

To the OP- skip the IDA and Dolphin IMO, they are too far from CCR to be practical (although alot of hard work can get you 90% of the way) SCR is a evolutionary dead end, if you want to dive CC buy or make a CC unit.

RBW Member jale is on a distinguished road jale is on a distinguished road jale's Avatar
    Sidekick, Joki, Flex, HH, C96

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    IMO the important and operative word here is "started" Paul is a bright boy and like many saw that both the Dolphin and IDA series units can be made into recreational CCR's they are not and never can be ideal, no offense to the many users but they are comprimised by the initial design, you can overcome much of it but each increase is earned with increased cost, complexity and level of DIY fabrication... to the point where you before a manufacturer like Paul

I started with a Classic KISS, went right down the DIY route to first remove all the issues with the CK then to design a ground up unit that removed them completely.
    Then I had a moment of clarity- Did I want to build rebreathers or dive rebreathers?

What I wanted was to dive so I needed a working unit that worked how I wanted but with off-the-shelf level of reliability. I decided the way to achieve that was to leverage the deluge of second hand parts and 3rd party spares and accesories to (as someone said earlier) LEGO myself a unit, so I have Classic Inspiration plumbing and scrubber, 3rd party blank head, shearwater PPO2 monitor, N@90 sensors and wiring, 3rd party Needle Valve, Alibox, Kent Tooling stainless and I used my own skillset to make a BMCL system because it dovetailed with my work.
    The end result is a DIY but off-the-shelf yet unique unit that does everything I want but with spares available online... if someone made something this good I'd have bought it! (However it llikely would have cost more than the 1200quid I spent)

Lastly- I'm all for online guides and detailing how to modify information in this community because I wouldn't have got to where I am today without it but I do have some agreement with the school of thought that if you cannot work out what to do OR how to do it someone shouldn't be showing you the other half... the result of gettingthis wrong can be fatal and there is no way of checking someones OC diving creditials if they even have some, when giving out advice.

To the OP- skip the IDA and Dolphin IMO, they are too far from CCR to be practical (although alot of hard work can get you 90% of the way) SCR is a evolutionary dead end, if you want to dive CC buy or make a CC unit.
    +1 with the LEGO route :)
    A lot of parts are available and you can make the unit you really want and adjust it easily.

RBW Member Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse's Avatar
    rEvoIII mini hCCR

RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR

Never been a fan of the inspo's.
    But these days, you can pick one up so cheap, throw away the electronics and run in mCCR or get a Shearwater/ AV1 and run it eCCR/hCCR for SFA. Its a clear winner for a CCR diver on a limited budget who can DIY.

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    Never been a fan of the inspo's.
    Agreed- but only the electronics... the plumbing is indistinguishable from what almost everyone else does and is cheap to buy and maintain- plus you have a proven scrubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse  View Original Post
    Its a clear winner for a CCR diver on a limited budget who can DIY.
    They are almost so cheap that any CCR diver could own one as a backup! (this winter several were sold on ebay in the UK for less than some Trimix deco computers or a big torch, I even saw a Inspo Vision for BELOW 3K GBP!

RBW Member jorgey is on a distinguished road jorgey is on a distinguished road jorgey's Avatar

hi,
    what I've read about the unit was, that the scrubber dimension was not right for a depth over the original design assumptions, and I didn't understand what was exactly meant. Is it a form factor problem, or just a volume/dive-duration problem?
    Last edited by jorgey; 27th April 2017 at 09:06.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgey  View Original Post
    hi,
    what I've read about the unit was, that the scrubber dimension was not right for a depth over the original design assumptions, and I didn't understand what was exactly meant. Is it a form factor problem, or just a volume/dive-duration problem?

Must be a statement from an expert. Just to give you some hints what I have done:

Total dive time up to 4 hours
    Max depth 105meter
    1hour bottom time in approx 50m depth + decotime

Rgs, Stephan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast