+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Is there an IDA-71 conversion tutorial? Can somebody make one?

RBW Member jorgey is on a distinguished road jorgey is on a distinguished road jorgey's Avatar

Re: Is there an IDA-71 conversion tutorial? Can somebody make one?

Quote Originally Posted by Maskenlos  View Original Post
    Must be a statement from an expert. Just to give you some hints what I have done:

Total dive time up to 4 hours
    Max depth 105meter
    1hour bottom time in approx 50m depth + decotime

Rgs, Stephan
    Very impresive! I have read from people diving the rig more or less so, but later I read comments advicing against it, but it wasn't clear what was the problem with the scrubber. I stopped to lork for one then, and I regret it a little. On the other hand I'm not diving so much now :-(

RBW Member kenkokan is an unknown quantity at this point kenkokan's Avatar
    ida71mccr aka60ascr

kip8-O2 ida59 ida76 TP ida64

Quote Originally Posted by pat_plouf  View Original Post
    Good evening
    Beautiful transformation.
    More details about the changes.
    Cordially.
    Pat.
    2 liters of O2. 2 liters of diluent. O2 is fed through the nozzle at a rate of 0.9 l / min. from the right cylinder. The left cylinder is connected to the ADV bag. The feeder allows you to feed O2 when you need it. Holder in the breathing bag allows you to place three O2 sensors. Gas control - shearwater predator. Reducer O2 insulated. The diluent reducer is not insulated. The inputs to the breathing bag are made with quick-release. The safety valve of the bag is moved to the center. The case of IDA under cylinders was transformed. I sealed the standard openings under the flywheels with fiberglass and epoxy resin, plastered it all and made new holes for the flywheels.
    This IDA has two bags. One bag for mccr. The second bag is regular. Thus in one device we have 10 different rebreather configurations. Mccr, ascr, pure O2 rebreather. regenerative O2 rebreather. Rebreather with gas supply from ADV and more.
    Here in Russia we use DragerSorb 800 Plus, DragerSorb 400. There's a lot of it and it's quite cheap.
    What else can I write about this?
    Last edited by kenkokan; 19th November 2017 at 15:27.

RBW Member jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h will become famous soon enough jeff h's Avatar

Hello - this looks like an older thread, but it got a bump today. This is an interesting topic on something I attempted and dove as my first rebreather for a very brief time several years ago. I'm going to second what Dsix36 and Skipbreather said, it's really not worth the time to end up with a unit that is sub-par compared to what a used commercial unit has to offer. After updating to modern bottles, a proper PPO2 meter, regs, new fittings, etc I found I was well within range of what a used KISS unit was price wise. If I had gone the used KISS route, I would have been spending time underwater gaining experience, instead of trying to machine fittings and modify a case, etc.

All that said, there is one really big design flaw with a stock IDA-71 counterlung, that I didn't see mentioned in this thread. The exhale hose runs straight through the middle of the inhale lung and is attached by wound thread inside of the bag. I think some people have figured out how to correct this, and some have just accepted it as minimal risk. I'd recommend doing an additional pressure check with half the looped plugged prior to every dive.

So after all that time and work, you end up with a counterlung that adds an additional failure path, a scrubber that isn't that convenient to pack or empty, and a Russian auto-add valve that is several years old. Not sure how you would service it, but they do seem robust.

If you are really a DIY (or machinist) and want to take on a conversion as a hobby/learning experience there are better units to start with.

I still have several IDA-71 parts left if anyone is interested including a customized shell, backplate and PP02 meter that I would gladly off load (buyer beware).
    Last edited by jeff h; 19th November 2017 at 17:51.

ida71mccr aka60ascr

Quote Originally Posted by jeff h  View Original Post
    Hello
    Of course. When you bought the IDA, it must be completely disassembled and a breathing bag, too. It is necessary to disassemble every connection everywhere. Because those devices that are on sale have an age of 30 years or more. Therefore, it is necessary to conduct total dismantling, checking and adjustment of absolutely all parts of the apparatus.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff h  View Original Post
    The exhale hose runs straight through the middle of the inhale lung and is attached by wound thread inside of the bag. .... I'd recommend doing an additional pressure check with half the looped plugged prior to every dive.
    This is a VERY wise recommendation!! I do this kind of additional pressure test every time I assemble the rig!

Rgs, Stephan

RBW Member osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris is a splendid one to behold osiris's Avatar
    HH INSPO HYBRIB BASTARDISED MK

KISS/IDA64/72/60/Mk15/Cobra

I've had a number of these Russian units and in my opinion, unless you either dive them as is or you love building rebreathers out of a toilet roll and box of used kitty litter it's acomplete waste of time rebuilding them as mixed gas rebreathers. 10 years ago, with CCRs costing forty legs 150 arms, sure and a couple of my diving collegues here in NZ have done great jobs with their conversions (one of them also a poster here, did a rather snazzy conversion of an AKA-64 I used to own but he kept it as a SCR, Greg also on here did a very nice IDA-72) but, basically, you end up throwing the guts of the unit out and replacing it with something else, leaving you with a breathing bag and the case, basically. The only Russki unit I regret getting rid of (wife included) was an IDA-64 which is a lovely O2 unit but still would have required a shed load of work to get it operational (when you pull the CL apart and look inside, you'll see why and that is just for starters).

Now that there are a ton of second hand rebreathers out there, I think it's best to start with one of those and the Inspo classic is a great way to go and I have fond memories of my old classic.
    Last edited by osiris; 21st November 2017 at 00:09.

ida71mccr aka60ascr

Quote Originally Posted by osiris  View Original Post
    Inspo classic is a great way to go and I have fond memories of my old classic.
    I'm sorry, sir. I can be wrong, but as far as I know, the creator of inspiration by profession plumber and his rebreathers, he makes from sewer pipes.

RBW Member Snusmumrik will become famous soon enough Snusmumrik will become famous soon enough Snusmumrik will become famous soon enough Snusmumrik's Avatar
    IDA-71(KISS Mod)

IDA-59 O2 Mod & KISS, IDA-72

Quote Originally Posted by osiris  View Original Post
    Now that there are a ton of second hand rebreathers out there, I think it's best to start with one of those and the Inspo classic is a great way to go and I have fond memories of my old classic.
    IMHO, there was not too much people, who wants to dive rebreather now,
    and who can spend a lot of money for second hand YBOD or something else.
    IDA is cheaper and brings more self-education.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Quote Originally Posted by Snusmumrik  View Original Post
    IMHO, there was not too much people, who wants to dive rebreather now,
    and who can spend a lot of money for second hand YBOD or something else.
    IDA is cheaper and brings more self-education.
    Maybe in Russia. For the rest of us, finding an IDA in decent upgradable condition is actually harder than finding a used Inspo, Meg, Kiss, Revo nowadays.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4