+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CPR / Emergency O2 / AED / Etc.

RBW Member oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya's Avatar
    Meg Apecs

KISS Classic

CPR / Emergency O2 / AED / Etc.

Are you current?

Why not?!?!

RBW Member michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch is on a distinguished road michael-fisch's Avatar
    SF2, IDA76, Flex

AH1

Re: CPR / Emergency O2 / AED / Etc.

I'm not current. find that resuscitaion of people found underwater during the summer still wearing ice skates is a lost cause.
    I don't go diving without having 40cuft of O2 in the car though.
    CPR & AED are a wasted effort for divers wearing RB/Doubles, drysuit, heating vest, thinsulate, and stages. They're long dead by the time you get them somewhere where you can do anything to them, there is a reason why rescue diving is not taught by the big technical agencys (NSS/CDS, NACD, CDG, IANTD, ANDI, TDI, GUE,and others).
    Michael

RBW Member oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya has a spectacular aura about oya's Avatar
    Meg Apecs

KISS Classic

CPR / Emergency O2 / AED / Etc.

Number one killer in the country is heart disease. Statistically a diver is more likely to die on the surface than in the water.

So, while someone is horsing a couple of 108s to the waters edge they collapse, is it still a wasted effort?

Edited to add: oftentimes a constant flow/medical O2 bottle is far better than a demand valve reg.
    Last edited by oya; 9th April 2016 at 11:47.

Escaped... Lab Rat is an unknown quantity at this point Lab Rat's Avatar
    Meg Driver

Quote Originally Posted by michael-fisch  View Original Post
    CPR & AED are a wasted effort for divers wearing RB/Doubles, drysuit, heating vest, thinsulate, and stages. They're long dead by the time you get them somewhere where you can do anything to them, there is a reason why rescue diving is not taught by the big technical agencys (NSS/CDS, NACD, CDG, IANTD, ANDI, TDI, GUE,and others).
    Michael
    Long had respect for your diving accomplishments Michael...but have to disagree here quite a bit. CPR, first aid and AED use are basic skills any technical diver should have. Oya is quite right, you are more likely to use them on some other recreational diver on the boat...but you will eventually need them...surprised you never have needed these skills.

I have seen more than one diver progress from a bad bends hit to the "chokes"for instance...these cases sometimes arrest...and often are out of the water for a while before getting into real trouble.

With heart disease being the number one killer....these are skills everyone should have before going to the mall...much less a dive. IANTD and TDI have rescue classes...the others used to recommend that all divers coming to them be at least at that level (Rescue Diver)...but long gone are the days when everyone in the cave class was at least an instructor....

-Richard
    Last edited by Lab Rat; 12th April 2016 at 04:57. Reason: Spelling

Photographer & Journalist John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard has a spectacular aura about John Liddiard's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini Hybrid

Not so much CPR, but rescue/lift in a technical situation.
    http://www.divernet.com/training/p29...al-rescue.html

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by John Liddiard  View Original Post
    Not so much CPR, but rescue/lift in a technical situation.
    http://www.divernet.com/training/p29...al-rescue.html
    Thanks for that link. Gives me a bit to think about.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member bl6394 is an unknown quantity at this point bl6394's Avatar
    APD Evolution

Current. As a recreational instructor - most months I teach one of these classes.

Most of the emergencies I've seen have been non-scuba. Generally automobile accidents. CPR AED first aid and oxygen provider are all handy skill to have.

RBW Member divemedic85 is an unknown quantity at this point divemedic85's Avatar
    rEvo3 Mini

I believe this is a skill set every diver should have especially technical divers. The more knowledgable we are the better dive team members we make. I have a soapbox that I could get on for now I will hold off lol

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

These skills are also applicable on land... just sayin'. They have come in handy to many divers in non dive situations...

Isn't crossover cool?

+ Reply to Thread