+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Argon, the Superior Dry Suit Inflation Gas? by Dr. Claudia Sotis

Re: Argon, the Superior Dry Suit Inflation Gas? by Dr. Claudia Sotis

After that study, I am more interested in that aerogel undersuit. That's 2-3.5x better than the commercial one.

New Member Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell's Avatar

There is another study which you did not mention and which supports your initial position.

Extrem Physiol Med. 2013; 2: 17.
    Published online 2013 Jun 3. doi: 10.1186/2046-7648-2-17

PMCID: PMC3710141

Argon used as dry suit insulation gas for cold-water diving

Xavier CE Vrijdag, Pieter-Jan AM van Ooij, and Robert A van Hulst

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3710141/

Human subjects diving in cold water (13oC) for 1 hour in a shell suit + undergarment, per the Nuckolls study, in which the insulation gas might be expected to exert a greater influence on insulation (as David pointed out). Suits flushed with inflation gas (argon or air) according to Risberg protocol (x3). Core temperature measured with an ingestible sensor and subjective thermal comfort recorded at end of dive (divers blinded to inflation gas). No difference between the groups in either core temperature or subjective comfort.

Simon M
    Last edited by Simon Mitchell; 9th April 2016 at 08:38.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Super. Thanks for posting Simon.

Claudia

Just add ice & water plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma's Avatar
    O2 Apocalypse

DIY, Inspiration Classic

My personal observation is argon does help. 13C and 1 hour dive is too warm to bother with argon. Where it matters is 0-4C temperatures with 1-3 hour dive times. You get the chills ( start to feel cold) much later with argon.
    Last edited by plazma; 12th April 2016 at 15:54.

RBW Member Chii is on a distinguished road Chii is on a distinguished road Chii's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plazma  View Original Post
    My personal observasion is argon does help. 13C and 1 hour dive is too warm to bother with argon. Where it matters is 0-4C temperatures with 1-3 hour dive times. You get the chills ( start to feel cold) much later with argon.

Never heard someone from finland complain about cold =)

Interesting reading btw

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by plazma  View Original Post
    My personal observasion is argon does help. 13C and 1 hour dive is too warm to bother with argon. Where it matters is 0-4C temperatures with 1-3 hour dive times. You get the chills ( start to feel cold) much later with argon.
    iv dived Narvik mid november , quick slash in my dry bag on my last stop worked ok , cant say much on the argon as iv never used it ,

id never carry a cylinder i cant breath from at some point in my dive , i norm have 50/60% nitrox in my suit feed , and a 2nd set of mits in my pocket

posted by Dr Gobbers ,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 12th April 2016 at 14:56.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2