+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Charters and rentals in Key Largo

RBW Member WreckDiverCT is an unknown quantity at this point WreckDiverCT's Avatar
    rEvoIII Micro hRMS

Charters and rentals in Key Largo

Hi All,

I'm heading down to Key Largo in mid April for a few days. I haven't see any recent updates on good charters or places to rent RB tanks, bailout and buy sorb. I know some shops have gone though multiple recent owners. Any recommendations? For charters I primarily want to hit the Spiegle Grove and Duane and rather not get stuck on a 30' reef

Thanks

RBW Member SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver will become famous soon enough SlowDiver's Avatar
    Hammerhead Hybrid

Re: Charters and rentals in Key Largo

This might address your problem.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458944933.075178.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RBW Member diverchris is an unknown quantity at this point diverchris's Avatar
    Inspiration with Vision

Conch Republic Divers has everything you need

RBW Member scubadoc is an unknown quantity at this point scubadoc's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

I would suggest contacting Silent World. There have recently bought Capt Slates building in north Key Largo. The have a wide range of supplies for rebreathers. Most of their staff dive rebreathers. Additionally, they go to several wrecks that are not available to dive operators like Conch Republic and Ocean Divers due to their location. They frequently dive the Northern Light and the Doc Milly in addition the the common recreational depth wrecks.

RBW Member dreamdive has disabled reputation dreamdive's Avatar
    Pathfinder, rEvo, Explorer

Meg, PrismII, Titan, Optima, 7

Quote Originally Posted by scubadoc  View Original Post
    I would suggest contacting Silent World. There have recently bought Capt Slates building in north Key Largo. The have a wide range of supplies for rebreathers. Most of their staff dive rebreathers. Additionally, they go to several wrecks that are not available to dive operators like Conch Republic and Ocean Divers due to their location. They frequently dive the Northern Light and the Doc Milly in addition the the common recreational depth wrecks.
    With 4 dive boats available, Ocean Diver's has the ability and capacity to go anywhere where anybody can go in Key Largo. If you want to dive wrecks in North Miami, you can find dive boats closer than KL.
    Last edited by dreamdive; 26th March 2016 at 22:56.

RBW Member macado is an unknown quantity at this point macado's Avatar
    rEvo II Mini-Aquaseal Edition

I have not yet used Ocean Divers but may definitely give them a try next time.

I was down in Key Largo last month and I used Horizon Divers for a couple CCR charters. We dove the Northern Light and then did a double dip on the Duane which allowed me to do a nice long runtime. Unfortunately weather turned bad so didnt get an opportunity to do anymore charters with them.

I took my rEvo down there and rented CCR cylinders and bailouts from Horizon Divers without any issues. No sorb I don't think but I brought my own with me. I dove off their charter boats, Pisces and Cheeca View. I can highly recommend them.

I however do not recommend Rainbow Reef Dive Center for rebreather support. I was down there with family and they had already scheduled some dives with them. I had emailed them back in December asking about CCR cylinder rentals and they told me it would be no problem. I even spoke to one of their course directors. Of course when I got there they basically told me they do not rent CCR cylinders or bailout. I spoke to 3 different people in that dive shop and couldn't get anywhere with them, even with CCR bottles literally sitting on a Poseidon unit on display. Kind of frustrating. Thankfully Horizon Divers let me use their rental CCR cylinders. The dives were Rainbow Reef were perfectly adequate, it just doesn't seem like they're used to supporting CCR divers.

RBW Member Pat O'Brien is an unknown quantity at this point Pat O'Brien's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

I use Horizon Divers they carrier sorb and have rental CCR bottles, just email Dan Dawson he the owner and he runs a good operation with a very friendly staff.

I would also 2nd the comments on Rainbow Reef, avoid them at all cost they are a true cattle operation and it’s a numbers game to them.

Owner
    PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis is a jewel in the rough PSotis's Avatar
    Revo,Optima, Prism, Meg, Pos 7

Kiss,Evo, Sentinel,Pathfinder,

For years, Horizon Diver and Silent World have provided friendly service to rebreathers divers. For anyone that frequents the keys you will know that is unusual. Most of the time rebreather divers are shunned and treated like second-class citizens as if our money is any less green. Oxygen fills, consumables and rebreather friendly staff is all we ask for.

Add Helium has selected Ocean Divers to be our base of operations. When we select a location to train from on a regular basis we tend to be very selective. In addition, we get involved with the dive shop, boat captains, fills stations, etc. to help the operation understand the needs of rebreather divers.

This relationship is just underway. In the coming months, Ocean Divers will be another rebreather friendly location in Key Largo with all of the consumables, rental items, gas fills, etc. Of course, well-trained staff that understands the needs of rebreathers divers is something that Ocean Divers is dedicated to building. It won't happen overnight. But with the help of Add Helium, it won't take long.

We see this as being part of a trend in the coming years. Soon enough every dive shop and dive boat operator will be glad to do business with all rebreather divers...even in the keys. Afterall, rebreathers are growing at an expediential rate and Open Circuit is in decline...it's simply a matter of economics. It's funny how economics have a way of bringing about change. :)

RBW Member WreckDiverCT is an unknown quantity at this point WreckDiverCT's Avatar
    rEvoIII Micro hRMS

Thanks for all the suggestions. Time for a few phone calls and emails.

rEvoIII Micro hRMS

Update: I went with Horizon Divers. They had RB tanks, bailout bottles and sorb ($3.50/lb) or buy a whole jug if on a big trip/multiple people. The staff in store and boat Captains and crew were all friendly and competent. I didn't check with Silent World as I called Horizon 1st and decided I'd go with them. Ocean Divers at this time does not have RB supplies.

The only problem was I picked a bad week. There just weren't any wreck trips going out from any shop on Monday or Tuesday last week so I was stuck with the reefs. I did have a fantastic 95min dive on the Spiegle Grove Wednesday morning. There was a kicking current flowing stern to bow and slightly to port but 80'+ vis and tons of fish and a big ass wreck to explore and I was pretty happy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast