+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: C-Lung question.

RBW Member rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack will become famous soon enough rjack's Avatar
    Meg

Re: C-Lung question.

Quote Originally Posted by 1982shawn  View Original Post
    Thanks, that's what I've been reading and hearing from others. Pretty sure OTS is the way I'll be going now.
    I have never used backmounted lungs

But did my MOD1 with OTSCLs and switched to top of shoulder (TOS) after about 20 hrs. Can't tell the different in static lung load or WOB and a bit less cluttered.

rEvo's daddy
    paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by whynot?  View Original Post
    I'd contact rEvo and see what they offer as far as CL size. I dive both back CL (BMCL) and chest CL, each has it's advantages and disadvantages. The big question you should be thinking about is what is your goal with either OTSCL or BMCL? I'll point out one big advantage to BMCL is the fact that they are captured in a compartment (as you no doubt have seen) and are more protected from being damaged that OTSCL. But as others have pointed out the WOB needs to be understood as well. Look at Bozanic's book for a discussion on the benefits/ disadvantages of both- he has spelled it out quite well.
    rEvo can supply any c-lung between 4.5 and 7.5 liter

micro non-CE: 4.5l (what I dive personally: the smaller the counterlung, but still ok for your lung volume, the more 'pure' you automatically dive)
    micro CE: 5.5l
    mini 6.5l
    standard 7.5l
    the 5.5 micro CE C-lung volume can also be supplied in the non-CE countries: it's just different spacers in the micro to change from 4.5 to 5.5 l and visa versa
    www.rEvo-rebreathers.com
    ...."Yes you have to pre-breathe to activate the scrubber sorb, anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about!"...
    .... to get more accurate CO2 injection in the breathing machine we put 2 mass flow controllers in series ...
    .... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
    .... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
    .... the earth is flat and ...

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by 1982shawn  View Original Post
    Thanks, that's what I've been reading and hearing from others. Pretty sure OTS is the way I'll be going now.

It wont make much diferance and presents its own set of problems

If your horizontal your pushing air back and forth. If your vertical your pushing air up and down. Air has a habit of floating so your pushing against that all the time when vertical hence the "hampster cheeks"

OTS lungs will help but not significantly IMHO I had Inspo Classic with OTS lungs and still got hampster cheeks when vertical. I later experimented with Meg design lungs on the unit and found I still had all the issues of the Inspo large lung without any of the benifits

The problems with front lungs are mainly equipment access & visulisation. The lungs simply get in the way. The small lungs on the Meg are better but then you dont have the water management advantage of the large lungs or the easy lung management that comes with having the large lungs

Problem also present when you into wiggling through tight spots. The exposed lungs get crushed and suddenly you discover you cant breath at all? If you one of those divers who hovers 5m above the wreck all the time its not an issue but i am a bit of a ferret

I prefer the lungs on the KISS and rEvo being safe inside a box

But I pay the price in terms of flood recovery.

The compromise is the JJ type set up where the lungs are rear mount but extend over the sholder.

Yes they are exposed but less so and theres still some flood recovery.

In short hampster cheeks is a non issue CCR divers dont even think about after a few hours on CCR. Flood recovery and dammage ./ crushing of counterlungs are issues you never get over with experiance.

ATB

Mark

Mini Meg type lungs on my unit

Big lungs on inspo

Rear over the sholder lungs on the JJ

for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    homebuild/custom

A typical tidal exchange for an average person is only about 0.5L. Even when huffing and puffing, the tidal exchange is about 2L. By spreading this tidal exchange over a larger area (i.e. larger lungs), the WOB is likely to be less pending location of the lungs with all else equal.

The lung size is less the issue - it's the position.

Generally, I think a good rule of thumb is your max tidal volume x 1.5 for lung size. If you are huffing and puffing more than that, then chances are teh scrubber is then being overworked and possibly not doing its job anymore. I'd rather have any overwork be exhausted and replenish with fresh make-up gas until breathing were back under control.

RBW Member tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione is a jewel in the rough tcascione's Avatar
    Kiss Spirit Lte

Azimuth, KISS CLASSIC,KISS GEM

For C-Lungs I own back units (Kiss Classic & Azimuth) side (Kiss Spirit) and front (Kiss Gem). I noticed that on the GEM a change of an inch or two up or down completely changes the work of breathing. Fortunately the GEM is easily adjusted, the others not so much. If you can't move the lungs, move the harness. It gets better.