+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prism BOV or no?

RBW Member shortkidd is an unknown quantity at this point shortkidd's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

Poseidon Se7en

Prism BOV or no?

I have talked with a number of Prism 2 owners. Some have gone with the BOV and some have not.

I am wondering what the consensus is on going with BOV. Have more people gone with it or no?

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: Prism BOV or no?

Quote Originally Posted by shortkidd  View Original Post
    I have talked with a number of Prism 2 owners. Some have gone with the BOV and some have not.

I am wondering what the consensus is on going with BOV. Have more people gone with it or no?
    I Believe that instructors must dive with a BOV, overall I think that most people do not have a BOV on the Hollis Prism 2.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member Pat O'Brien is an unknown quantity at this point Pat O'Brien's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

I’m a fan of using a BOV, just thinking about trying to bail out to OC during a CO hit has me sold on diving one. I also keep my BOV plumbed off board as well to ensure the need gas to recover from one.

another plus is boarding a dive boat in rough seas, I just close the loop and climb the ladder on OC to protect the loop.

RBW Member whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot? will become famous soon enough whynot?'s Avatar
    MK15.5, MK25

It's a personal choice. You may want to dive both configurations to see what works best for you. Personally, I don't dive with a BOV, kinda hard to pass it off to your buddy if he/she has a problem and needs to bail out from their rig and needs your gas. Just one reason I like a dedicated isolated bailout (tank and reg) setup.

Plus, BOVs are too bulky for taste. But, to each their own so try both configurations out.

RBW Member vrocco is an unknown quantity at this point vrocco's Avatar

I'm a rebreather newbie so I can't add much to this. However, I will say that the Prism BOV is one of the most compact models I have seen. I put one on my KISS Sport and it's nearly half the size of the KISS BOV that was on it. It also seems to be neutral underwater, so it doesn't float up and cause jaw discomfort.

I know that doesn't really answer the question of whether or not to get one, but if you do decide to get a BOV, the Prism one is the one to have IMHO

Incidentally, I have an extra for sale in the sale forum on this board, if you're interested..........

New Rebreather Diver RoyJN is an unknown quantity at this point RoyJN's Avatar
    Inspiration vision

I took the Padi Tech 40 class for the inspiration and the BOV was required so in the end, I ended up getting it.

RBW Member Olsen DK is an unknown quantity at this point Olsen DK's Avatar
    Prism2

Dräger Ray

I bought my Prism2 with the BOV. The Hollis BOV is so small that i hardly can feel the difference from the Hollis DSV, it is almost neutral under water and no weight rings is needed on the loop hoses.
    Have "hot-wired" it with the BO bottles using Swagelock QC6 connections. My BOV gas supply is completely separated from the loop supply.
    Just open for the BO needed and you are good to go (i dive with the BO needed for a given dept open thus all i have to do is to close the loop and i am on OC).

The BO bottles are with a normal stage kit setup with 2nd stage and all. Thus if my buddy is in need there is also a solution for that.
    Furthermore on all my BO bottles there are a spare LP hose that fits to all my quick connections on my breather and my dry suite inflation valve.

Did my MOD 2 last October and my setup worked perfect even at 60 meter (approx 200 feet, sorry for being European ). Must say i am a bit impressed of the Hollis BOV compared to the other bulky BOV's on the market.

But with or without BOV is back to how one approaches his diving and his/her believes. in fact a kind of religion for some

Here you can see the differance between the DSV and the BOV.

20.jpg
    Last edited by Olsen DK; 23rd March 2016 at 08:03.

Banned CGOUGHN is an unknown quantity at this point CGOUGHN's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2

Poseidon MkVI

Quote Originally Posted by Chett.L  View Original Post
    I Believe that instructors must dive with a BOV, overall I think that most people do not have a BOV on the Hollis Prism 2.

Best regards,

Part of that depends on the training agency. PADI requires it for TecCCR 40 and 60. IANTD doesn't require it.

I personally don't dive with one, even though I own one and have used it in the past. Different strokes for different folks.

Cheers - Chris

+ Reply to Thread