+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: When My Rebreather Saved Me!

RBW Member andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp is on a distinguished road andrespp's Avatar

Re: When My Rebreather Saved Me!

Hi Nicool. the site is Tarifa, on South Spain. I think in this forum I have placed pics and videos of this place.

Very nice place to dive, but anyone doing that kind of dives there needs to be really familiar with the site to prevent as mush as possible situations like that. I have been diving there for more than 20 years and still the current may happen when you do not expect it.

On the dive spot the typical currents happen when the tides change, and yes it is a well known fact that the currents are strong during sometime (from 20 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the conditions, tide coefficient etc), then it slows down. This happens just close to the coast, in the middle on the channel things are completely different.

RBW Member Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool is on a distinguished road Nicool's Avatar
    rEvo III micro FT RMS

Poseidon Discovery Mark VI

Quote Originally Posted by andrespp  View Original Post
    Hi Nicool. the site is Tarifa, on South Spain. I think in this forum I have placed pics and videos of this place.

Very nice place to dive, but anyone doing that kind of dives there needs to be really familiar with the site to prevent as mush as possible situations like that. I have been diving there for more than 20 years and still the current may happen when you do not expect it.

On the dive spot the typical currents happen when the tides change, and yes it is a well known fact that the currents are strong during sometime (from 20 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the conditions, tide coefficient etc), then it slows down. This happens just close to the coast, in the middle on the channel things are completely different.
    Thanks i would definitely not do a self exploration dive there

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

I think you have to be careful though....often the gas extension complacency that comes with diving an rb can make you take risks you would never take on OC.

I have learnt that having plenty of gas extension time doesnt necessarily mean you can find the mental strength to avail yourself of it. I admit to struggling with the following experience. Did the rb save me? definitely. would i have been more likely to use a line had i been on OC? most likely. The most salient point of this experience was thoughts turned to suicide (rather than hours of waiting to die) after ONLY '32mins'. not that it felt at all like 32mins!

https://drmike.smugmug.com/Screw-up-...-a-deep-wreck/

Another time solo cave exploration pushing Song hong i was iirc around 150m in? or so in maybe 125m or so depth (i maybe off a bit but order of magnitude) when i turned at my plan time. i made the mistake of turning off my scooter as i turned around only to find it wouldnt start. when i switched to my back up scooter it too wouldnt start......that far in that depth i didnt have enough bail gas to swim back nor would i have had enough deco oc gas to deco out what would have been many many many hours if i had to swim back. so my rb kept me calm and i just started swimming anticipating immense deco. but again would i have done the dive solo on oc, would i have staged more oc gas?, would i have planned for double scooter failure? hard to say. (i kept scooter `on` as i swam i hope and it restarted once i got a bit shallower and pressure releaved off seals) theres a write up here somewhere on it with more correct figures
    Last edited by Drmike; 25th July 2016 at 07:48.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post

Another time solo cave exploration pushing Song hong i was iirc around 150m in? or so in maybe 125m or so depth (i maybe off a bit but order of magnitude) when i turned at my plan time. i made the mistake of
    found the write up

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showt...ight=stra+keow

I was 800m in when scooters failed

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by dreamdive  View Original Post
    If we don't change the perception of rebreathers being this 'dangerous device that will try and kill you' (which I wholeheartedly disagree with), we will continue seeing boat operators denying rebreather divers on their boats and shops avoiding to becoming 'rebreather friendly'.
    You'll have noticed almost everyone posting a save story is some sort of diving demigod/guru/expert/semi-competent diver... having time saves smart people because they can think under pressure, time gives stupid people more rope to hang themselves (hence they are not here to tell stories)

You may have a regional issue with boat operators, that has more to do with the sue first, ask second enviroment in your country. Here, boat operators are taxi drivers, what you do from jump to climb back on-board is your own business and I have not seen a skipper stop a diver once in 20yrs.

My view is that rebreathers are "more" dangerous than OC (I refute any debate on this) and should be the tool of trained, experienced divers only- none of this CCR for all recreational rebreather nonsense that will kill the niche tool we have access to IMO.
    Rebreather diving is not however "Dangerous", many many things are much more dangerous but CC is just less safe statistically than OC.

The best way to improve the perception of CC to so limit access for ticket collecting morons (no more pay to pass instruction) and stop the preaching and advertising of rebreathers as "Safe", they are an alternate tool to OC, they are certainly not better full stop.

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    they are an alternate tool to OC, they are certainly not better full stop.
    Hi Ben, I must disagree with you here, they most certainly are a better tool than OC for gas management. The difference in available gas/time is massive, otherwise nobody would bother with them.

Whatever decisions divers make with all that potential gas/time deserves scrutiny first and foremost. Will people take chances on CCR they wouldn't with OC? Yes, which explains a good number of accidents involving experienced divers. Do most good divers use that extra gas/time responsibly? It would seem so. Do some push the envelope, get cocky without fully understanding the physics and their unit's operation? Sure. Is a certain type of thrill seeker attracted to cutting edge devices like CCRs? Sure. And I bet there were a lot of fatalities in the early days of airplanes too. And look where we are now with air travel.

I'm not sure what there is to do to improve CCR safety other than the obvious things like improving O2 sensor technology and making CCRs more idiot proof, which does seem to be happening albeit slower than we would all like. But one thing is for sure, those advances certainly won't come any faster if most divers are scared away from CCRs... -Andy

It's been awhile since anyone has posted in this thread...SO...Can any of the CCR experts in this thread explain why Rob Stewart died earlier this year using his rEvo? The Medical Examiner report says "acute hypoxia" and not DCS was the triggering event that lead to his drowning death. This ME report is a very interesting read. For those who have not read it, perhaps a link could be made. IMHO, any discussion of CCR being more or less safe than OC, all objective data needs to be included in the analysis. PM me if you cannot locate the ME report.

RBW Member EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD is a jewel in the rough EngelenD's Avatar
    rEvo III rMS

rEvo is all you need!!!!

Maybe I am wrong but if I read your post and your post in the other thread I don't get your point and you give me the impression that you were just looking for some attention .
    I don't know the exact details regarding his death but I think the word user error might fit in

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

[QUOTE=EngelenD;487802]
    I don't know the exact details regarding his death but.../QUOTE]

That is your problem mate...without the details, you and others can't possibly make an intelligent assessment. So your flying blind. I suggest you read it and THEN submit your assessment.

Fake Diver Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack's Avatar
    Meg

KISS

Quote Originally Posted by EngelenD  View Original Post
    Maybe I am wrong but if I read your post and your post in the other thread I don't get your point and you give me the impression that you were just looking for some attention .
    I don't know the exact details regarding his death but I think the word user error might fit in

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    He's just a troll, ignore him

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast