+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Submatix Quantum mini?

RBW Member sub5 is an unknown quantity at this point sub5's Avatar
    LAR V, LAR VII standard

Submatix Quantum mini?

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone dives this unit or can provide some pros and cons on this unit and the reliability of the company.

I am specifically interested in this rebreather since the organized appearing design and the proposed easy setup with quick connectors, small number of connections..... which i think that could be feasible when travelling.

My purpose is to have a travel unit, that i can take to most places where CCR diving is offered, allowing an uncomplicated predive setup.

I am a keen UW photographer and for me its secondary to achieve depths or cave records rather than expanding dive times and having a easy to handle and not too heavy overall setup, that is however safe and reliable and having at least the option for expanding its features.

happy for any tips,

Thomas
    Last edited by sub5; 13th March 2016 at 13:01.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Re: Submatix Quantum mini?

My Submatix diving is limited to watching others and a couple of pool dives myself, but despite their simplistic appeal etc I can only note that every time I've seen one of these go near the water, there have been problems.

LAR V, LAR VII standard

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    My Submatix diving is limited to watching others and a couple of pool dives myself, but despite their simplistic appeal etc I can only note that every time I've seen one of these go near the water, there have been problems.
    Thank you fot the comment,

the point is that im am specifically interested in experiences of the most recent Quantum mini unit.

Do you think the units you saw wehre theese or other rebs since there are some previous rebreathers form submatix like the SMS 100 and Quantum Expedition etc. and obeservations on one of theese may not be generalized to the other ones, as always...

kind regards,

Thomas

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by sub5  View Original Post
    Thank you fot the comment,

the point is that im am specifically interested in experiences of the most recent Quantum mini unit.

Do you think the units you saw wehre theese or other rebs since there are some previous rebreathers form submatix like the SMS 100 and Quantum Expedition etc. and obeservations on one of theese may not be generalized to the other ones, as always...

kind regards,

Thomas
    The ones I dived were different units that used the scrubber and eCCR controller from Submatix. No probs with the scrubber but the controller was playing up. The other units I saw I couldn't say - apart from that they were backmount, plastic case with "gill slots" down the back and they too were having electronics issues.

RBW Member 1Digger is an unknown quantity at this point 1Digger's Avatar
    mini Quantum, 100, Proteus

Capt, Thoamas,
    It is my opinion mini Quantum is a rugged but an underrated system.
    Yes I dive a mini Quantum and may be biased. I live in the same town as you Capt so you may have seen it.
    Only time I have not been able to dive it was purely my fault trying to use old sensors (consumable items).

The unit you are refering to sounds like a Submatix 100 unit.
    There are at lest 5 100's in Perth (a few in eastern states of Australia). Pm me and I will be happy to help the owner.

https://vimeo.com/54068103 /
    http://submatix.com/index.php/en/mai...roducts-all-en

Gives a brief run down.
    All connections are double "o" ring and use Xcon quick connection on the breathing loop.
    It uses a defector in the Axial scrubber to extend times up to 25%.
    Yes pre-dive is simple.
    Scrubber is made of clear plastic making fills easier as well as buddy checks (2.7Kg).
    The holes in the metal grill allow some 797 through but an Inspo. filter fixes that.
    It has double battery redundancy in SPX42 dive computer and electronic controller and GEM (gas electronic management).
    A solid-state solenoid is used minimizing current draw and maximumises solenoid life.
    O2 cells are 2 pins Molex made specifically for Submatix. In resent years they have swapped the female connector to the sensor. This means the female connector is replaced each time the cell is replaced. The idea as the female end tends to green up.
    It is my humble opinion after spending 30 years in marine environment SMB connectors are more susceptible to mechanical and oxidation problems. Molex connectors can be field cleaned or stripped
    The solenoid allows a lower predetermined rate of O2 injection over a given time. This means a small steady stream of O2 is delivered. If more is required a manual boost is provide. This leads less movement in the water column. In parallel this is a needle valve.
    The single counter lung runs the whole length of the unit against the back, giving good trim and water trap.
    Additionally 2 X 4 Kg weights can be fitted in the lower back and or 2 x 2kg on frame near the shoulders.
    It has 4 O2 sensors with one sensor connected to a fully redundant system PPO2 reader.
    Temp stick can be fitted as an option. Shrimp BOV can be fitted as an option.
    CO2 monitor is an option.
    Diluent and O2 boost can be fitted in one or two handsets. It also has a variable needle vale can allowing SCR, mCCR (KISS). emCCR or full electronic modes
    It uses Diverite CCR bladder, aluminum (marine grade and anodized) backbone with built in stand. Older covers are fiberglass and though new turtle covers are ABS
    Compact and travel ready (dimensions 60cm x 34 cm x 22 cm) weight 17 Kg w/o cylinders / 23 Kg with 2 x 2 litre steel cylinders. 3 litre can be fitted
    Submatix use Nautech valves on their cylinders, which are tested to 400Br and feel beautiful in the hand.
    Recently Fisher plug has been removed from dive computer to maintain EC and they have produced their own double O-ring plug in the head
    Currently mini Quantums are supplied to at lest 2 (perhaps more) countries for their government departments.
    They have a number of service centres and instructors around the would including Perth W.A.
    Pizo on the SPX 42 dive compute take some effort to operate.
    However I think this is fixed now.
    It uses the same bright OLED display as the Shearwater.
    Is only requires one hand to open close the mouthpiece and is very smooth.
    Hope that touches on some of the points you are after.
    Please PM me for more info.
    Geoff

AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Thanks Geoff

It was indeed the 100 that was playing up and it may well have been just the PPO2 meter on it (not the SPX-42).

I do recall that the SPX-42 on the try dives you and David were doing was playing up in the pool, too. I know you sorted it out later that day.

I am the first to admit my experience with these units is very limited and now see it's nothing to do with the Quantum.

So - sub5, probably best to write my earlier feedback off as irrelevant and quite possibly just bad luck on a very small population sample!

RBW Member 3mix is an unknown quantity at this point 3mix's Avatar
    Submatix Min Quantum

Thomas,

Where are you based ? I'm a quite new Mini Quantum diver, I might be able to answer some of your questions.

KR,
    Julien.

LAR V, LAR VII standard

Quote Originally Posted by 3mix  View Original Post
    Thomas,

Where are you based ? I'm a quite new Mini Quantum diver, I might be able to answer some of your questions.

KR,
    Julien.
    Hi Julien,

I am in Europe/Austria,

I am really interested in true user experiences.
    Do you still like the unit and would you buy it again or are there some points you know know that would change your type decision.
    What do you think are the benefits and are there some substantial weak points.
    How is the handling over and under water?

From what i know so far the Quantums should be a well arranged rigs, that are nice to setup due to all number of connections, lack of T connections an the plug solutions.
    The Mini specifically is told to be smaller and lighter.

As mentioned its intended as a vehicle for UW Photography and traveling rather as a tool for breaking any kinds of records. However it should be an eCCR, and expandable in options if needed.
    Rig should be well organized. Predive setup should be clear and straight foreward, rather than alienating. I liked seeing recently the Quantum Expedition, which seemed to be very straight forward in pre- and post dive and i wonder if this contributes also to the Mini.

What about the breathing resistance, with the lung at the backplate?

There are a lot of interesting posts about various types, and its very hard to figure out in which direction to go since users tend to favor things they have, which i can obviously understand.
    For me also the proximity to the company is also an issue, since its easier to communicate or service, rather than sending things intercontinental for months of service...

This excludes some very interesting companies just by their locations; other may be excluded due to weight ore size issues also regarding limited flexibility for tank sizes due to predefined Cases or shells.
    Others i just do not favor due to other system or design features as se7en or rEVO, which however without any doubt are nice rigs but should not be the focus of this thread.

thanks a lot in advance,

Thomas
    Last edited by sub5; 15th March 2016 at 18:54.

RBW Member 3mix is an unknown quantity at this point 3mix's Avatar
    Submatix Min Quantum

Tom,

Here is some answers :

I am really interested in true user experiences.
    Do you still like the unit and would you buy it again or are there some points you know know that would change your type decision.
    What do you think are the benefits and are there some substantial weak points.
    How is the handling over and under water?
    Regarding my mini Quantum, it is 15Kg without cylinders, so very convenient to travel with. When ready to dive, it's around 25kg, and negative underwater (salty) -2kg. The spx42 is very easy to read underwater.

From what i know so far the Quantums should be a well arranged rigs, that are nice to setup due to all number of connections, lack of T connections an the plug solutions.
    The Mini specifically is told to be smaller and lighter.
    You can setup the rig as you want.

As mentioned its intended as a vehicle for UW Photography and traveling rather as a tool for breaking any kinds of records. However it should be an eCCR, and expandable in options if needed.
    Rig should be well organized. Predive setup should be clear and straight foreward, rather than alienating. I liked seeing recently the Quantum Expedition, which seemed to be very straight forward in pre- and post dive and i wonder if this contributes also to the Mini.
    the mini is very straightforward to be ready to dive, it takes 10-15 minutes to do all check-ups. you can use it as eCCR or mCCR, or whatever CCR mode you want.

What about the breathing resistance, with the lung at the backplate?
    Breathing is very easy, you don't really feel any resistance. it's a 10L lung. It can be convenient for you as an UW photographer, because you can hang things in the front of you without any problem.

There are a lot of interesting posts about various types, and its very hard to figure out in which direction to go since users tend to favor things they have, which i can obviously understand.
    For me also the proximity to the company is also an issue, since its easier to communicate or service, rather than sending things intercontinental for months of service...
    You can service the unit yourself, just ordering part, and have cylinders/regs serviced locally.

This excludes some very interesting companies just by their locations; other may be excluded due to weight ore size issues also regarding limited flexibility for tank sizes due to predefined Cases or shells.
    Others i just do not favor due to other system or design features as se7en or rEVO, which however without any doubt are nice rigs but should not be the focus of this thread.

thanks a lot in advance,

Thomas
    You can find some pictures of some unit on their facebook page : facebook.com/submatixCCR
    I can take pictures of my unit if you want as well.

Have a nice day.

LAR V, LAR VII standard

Quote Originally Posted by 3mix  View Original Post
    Tom,

Here is some answers :

Regarding my mini Quantum, it is 15Kg without cylinders, so very convenient to travel with. When ready to dive, it's around 25kg, and negative underwater (salty) -2kg. The spx42 is very easy to read underwater.

You can setup the rig as you want.

the mini is very straightforward to be ready to dive, it takes 10-15 minutes to do all check-ups. you can use it as eCCR or mCCR, or whatever CCR mode you want.

Breathing is very easy, you don't really feel any resistance. it's a 10L lung. It can be convenient for you as an UW photographer, because you can hang things in the front of you without any problem.

You can service the unit yourself, just ordering part, and have cylinders/regs serviced locally.

You can find some pictures of some unit on their facebook page : facebook.com/submatixCCR
    I can take pictures of my unit if you want as well.

Have a nice day.
    Thanks a lot,

best regards,

Thomas

+ Reply to Thread