+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prism 2 solenoid fires intermittently....

RBW Member shortkidd is an unknown quantity at this point shortkidd's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

Poseidon Se7en

Prism 2 solenoid fires intermittently....

Just back from diving today. I set up my unit last evening and everything looked and worked great. I jump in the water and do a bubble check with my partner and everything looks good. We descend to the dive site and everything is working with no issues......then 20-25 mins into the dive I notice that my po2 is at 1.20 and slowly dropping.

My setpoint is 1.3 and I notice that I dont hear the solenoid firing. I start to fly manually to keep my po2 to 1.30 and continue with the dive.....well 10 mins later the solenoid starts firing again so I continue on like there is no issue while keeping an eye on my po2. Again.....the solenoid stops firing. I decide to end the dive because this is no fun and on the ascent the solenoid starts firing again.

I get on the boat and start looking at everything on the unit.....I shut everything down and restart. I do a prebreathe and everything looks and works good. Battery voltage is good....MV is good so I think I am good to go. We go to our second dive site....I jump in and everything is great (solenoid firing) and again 20 mins into the dive....BAM....solenoid stops firing...this time I just started listening to see if the solenoid would stop firing instead of just looking at my computer. The hud was still blinking 1.3 but the po2 on both of computers was shown as dropping. I continued the dive again flying manually and again the solenoid started firing again and stopped again.

I finished the dive with no issues by manually flying through my deco and got back on the boat. Decided to not even jump in the water on the 3rd dive.

Needless to say I am annoyed. This is a brand new unit and having this happen is good/bad. It's great because the best learning is learning when things don't go right. Now my confidence is shaken and I am not sure I want to dive the unit again.

I have to travel over the next few weeks so I won't be in the water anyhow.

Anyone have any ideas? I will call Hollis in the morning and see if they have some ideas. Again, the battery voltages are all good. the MV readings on the o2 sensors are all good. I did not have a flood and there was no leaking. I am perplexed.

RBW Member madmosche is an unknown quantity at this point madmosche's Avatar
    Prism2, Explorer

Re: Prism 2 solenoid fires intermittently....

That's strange, I've never had that issue on my P2. Try changing the 9v solenoid batteries just to be sure the batteries are not bad?

Either way, contact Hollis or your dealer and they will help you get it resolved.

RBW Member Pat O'Brien is an unknown quantity at this point Pat O'Brien's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

Did you check your solenoid battery voltage with the solenoid firing if not I would try that it should read above 7v with it firing.

Hollis Prism2

Poseidon Se7en

Quote Originally Posted by Pat O'Brien  View Original Post
    Did you check your solenoid battery voltage with the solenoid firing if not I would try that it should read above 7v with it firing.
    Yes, the solenoid battery voltage is above 7. According to the computers that does not seem to be the issue.

Another thing I did notice is that I have two computers plugged into the head. The first one I turn on is supposed to be the primary computer. Well during the dives I think the head got confused as which was the primary because I was unable to determine which was the primary. I normally can tell which is the primary because it shows SETP in small letters on the display when I scroll through.

This is quite strange and much of a let down in terms of the unit's performance.

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2 Instructor

Hollis Explorer Inst Trainer

Who was your instructor?

Hollis Prism2

Poseidon Se7en

Quote Originally Posted by H2Ocaver  View Original Post
    Who was your instructor?
    Darren Fox @ Ocean Legends.

RBW Member H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver is a jewel in the rough H2Ocaver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shortkidd  View Original Post
    The hud was still blinking 1.3 but the po2 on both of computers was shown as dropping.
    Quote Originally Posted by shortkidd  View Original Post
    According to the computers that ...
    Another thing I did notice is that I have two computers plugged into the head. The first one I turn on is supposed to be the primary computer. Well during the dives I think the head got confused as which was the primary because I was unable to determine which was the primary. I normally can tell which is the primary because it shows SETP in small letters on the display when I scroll through.

What do you mean "I have two computers plugged into the head"
    Please explain, pictures would be even better.

Vincent, you should get a call back today.

Hollis Prism2

Poseidon Se7en

Quote Originally Posted by H2Ocaver  View Original Post
    Vincent, you should get a call back today.
    Update, I got a call from Gus. He thinks it is may be related to the multiple Shearwater and one needs to be put in stand by mode. He is working to get me a code to do that. Crossing fingers.

+ Reply to Thread